Cyber fraud revives debate on ways to make online banking safer

webfact

000_94N492.jpg

Amid the increasing push towards a digital economy, cybersecurity is back in focus after thousands of people fell victim to cyber fraud.

At least 40,000 people suffered losses estimated at over Bt10 million after cybercriminals hacked the victims’ credit and debit cards, Pol Lt-General Kornchai Klayklueng, commissioner at the Cyber Crime Investigation Bureau, said on Monday (Oct 18).

He told a news conference that initial investigation showed the cybercriminals had possibly used three channels to steal key information about credit and debit card holders: card holders who had linked their bank accounts with online applications, criminals sending SMS to trick people into giving them personal information, and criminals harvesting information from card holders making daily transactions at shops or gas stations.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/cyberfraud-revives-debate-on-ways-to-make-online-banking-safer/

Logo-top-.png

I personally do not trust those QR screens as you have no idea what it means , and they become so wide spread used now ....., a link at least show something readable .... however not 100 % to see  neither .... we are sometimes  clicking "blindfolded" lately :ermm:

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

I personally do not trust those QR screens as you have no idea what it means , and they become so wide spread used now ....., a link at least show something readable .... however not 100 % neither .... we are sometimes  clicking "blindfolded" lately :ermm:

The QR code not send the money automatic. The one I use mostly (PromptPay) only have the Information about the other Bank account in it, some terminal also include the price. But you still have to check yourself if this information are correct before you press OK (or enter the confirmation code).

I feel safer with a QR code than to enter the account information manually. But still mostly on smaller shops ask about the name is correct, which is shown after QR Code.
And if you have a QR code or a http:..abc.shortcut.cu/abchahaha is this link really better readable?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HampiK said:

The QR code not send the money automatic. The one I use mostly (PromptPay) only have the Information about the other Bank account in it, some terminal also include the price. But you still have to check yourself if this information are correct before you press OK (or enter the confirmation code).

I feel safer with a QR code than to enter the account information manually. But still mostly on smaller shops ask about the name is correct, which is shown after QR Code.
And if you have a QR code or a http:..abc.shortcut.cu/abchahaha is this link really better readable?

i mean only that the QR code is like a blind spot image for us ,not that it link direct to the money , but it can link us straight to those " middleman's /woman's ????, readings give me a chance .....puzzles not ????

Well i shall use them anyway with reluctance and moderate use 

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

I'm old school...

live on what I have in my ar#e pocket... cash,

I take out a bi-monthly amount direct from the bank and pay cash for everything.

I use online services but elect to pay on delivery.

Haven't lost a single baht.