Hayfever starting..

cyril sneer

I use a product called Fexofenadine. I think its a Thai knock off of Claratyn. Its a 1 a day pill. I use 60mg because anymore than that makes me drowsy as do most of the other allergy pills, even the non drowsy type. They do up to 180 mg strength but for me I find better taking the weaker one. If my allergy is really bad I will take one morning and one night. Its cheap too at 60 baht per pk 10

Edited by Kenny202

I think hay-fever is a real euphemism for this topic. It's pollution. Bangkok has suffered from air pollution of seasonal occurrences of pm2.5 particles for around 5 years now. They are very bad for you since they are the perfect size to destroy your health.

For today, the old centre of Bangkok is expected to reach 150 AQI+. This is pretty awful. Air pollution of more than 50 is unacceptable. You should be wearing a mask to deal with it. Over 200 and you should be wearing a full HazSuit.

I've experienced 450 AQI. My nose was blocked for 2 months afterwards. But it did help me focus on this issue.

I rinse out my nose every day with sterilized salt water (buy even in 7/11) and I take Aerius. Aerius is far more expensive than regular antihistamines but it deals with this exact issue. Rinsing the nose will after a couple of months soothe your sinus which is probably inflamed by the pollutants.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I use a product called Fexofenadine. I think its a Thai knock off of Claratyn. Its a 1 a day pill. I use 60mg because anymore than that makes me drowsy as do most of the other allergy pills, even the non drowsy type. They do up to 180 mg strength but for me I find better taking the weaker one. If my allergy is really bad I will take one morning and one night. Its cheap too at 60 baht per pk 10

Carityn is liratadine. Different drug ftom fexofenadine (though both ate antihistamines).

If the problem is air pollution rather than allergy, antihistamines may be of limited help.

7 hours ago, Gaccha said:

I think hay-fever is a real euphemism for this topic. It's pollution. Bangkok has suffered from air pollution of seasonal occurrences of pm2.5 particles for around 5 years now. They are very bad for you since they are the perfect size to destroy your health.

For today, the old centre of Bangkok is expected to reach 150 AQI+. This is pretty awful. Air pollution of more than 50 is unacceptable. You should be wearing a mask to deal with it. Over 200 and you should be wearing a full HazSuit.

I've experienced 450 AQI. My nose was blocked for 2 months afterwards. But it did help me focus on this issue.

I rinse out my nose every day with sterilized salt water (buy even in 7/11) and I take Aerius. Aerius is far more expensive than regular antihistamines but it deals with this exact issue. Rinsing the nose will after a couple of months soothe your sinus which is probably inflamed by the pollutants.

I am sure the pollution here doesn't help, but I had allergies before I came here, and still do, and about the same symptoms and intensity. I live up country. Usually season changes triggers it for me. Mainly sneezing and itchy eyes. Last 5 years, as well as the itchy eyes and sneezing I have developed an itchy area on my right forearm that becomes maddeningly itchy. All sorted now with the meds I take. 

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Carityn is liratadine. Different drug ftom fexofenadine (though both ate antihistamines).

If the problem is air pollution rather than allergy, antihistamines may be of limited help.

You're right Sheryl re Claratyn. It was the Loratadine that was making me drowsy, even though its not supposed to. The Fexofenodrine is a knock off of something though isn't it? Can't remember the farang generic name. The Fexo was making me drowsy too until I stumbled onto the really low dose ones. It probably wouldn't work too fast if you needed immediate results for eg hives or something but taking one a day seems to keep things in check

1 minute ago, luckyscruff said:

Yes Hay fever has started now , it happens just as the rice is getting ready for harvest .

I take CHLORPHEN-Y TABLETS  from any local chemist , price 15 bhat for 100 tablets , in a small cream container

Are they the really cheap little yellow pills? Thais take them for sleeping pills, and with good reason. They really knock me for six. They do work well though if you need quick relief but expect to be out of it for a day or so. Even taken at night I feel like have had a big night on the grog next day

Edited by Kenny202

Haven't read the thread so I might be repeating stuff.

I have perennial hormonal rhinitis .......which is hay fever x10, 24/7.

I can sit and fill a tea cup in with the stuff dribbling out of my nose every 5 minutes....however......

If I combine Loratadine (taken just before I go to bed) with Beconase (taken first thing in the morning) life is worth living.

If I only take one or the other the hay fever comes back within a week and stays for another week.

Last thing, if you find a regime that works for your hay fever starting in October.....start to medicate start of September.

20 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

As others have mentioned probably air pollution, could check your aircon unit to see if it needs cleaning.

And fit a micro filter over the 'tother one. 3M filter removes pollen and apparently bacteria available on Laz. There are also cheaper ones for 15b

6ddd7175f27c4de1210d60538150636f.jpg_400x400q90.jpg_.webp

On 10/22/2021 at 7:07 AM, Kenny202 said:

Got these and seem to be working 

To those saying it’s pollution, it’s not. 

20 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

You're right Sheryl re Claratyn. It was the Loratadine that was making me drowsy, even though its not supposed to. The Fexofenodrine is a knock off of something though isn't it? Can't remember the farang generic name. The Fexo was making me drowsy too until I stumbled onto the really low dose ones. It probably wouldn't work too fast if you needed immediate results for eg hives or something but taking one a day seems to keep things in check

Fexofenadine is the generic (chemical) name.  It has many different brand names in different countries.

If you spend a little time searching eBay you can usually find Kirkland brand (sold by Costco in the US) Cetirizine and Loratadine sold in 365 pill bottles.  Total costs including shipping can be found for around $30, which works out to about 8 cents per pill (or just under 3 Bhat per pill)  Kirkland brand names are Aller-tec = Cetirizine 10mg and Aller Clear = Loratadine 10mg.    If you have any friends living in the US that will be coming to Thailand,  once tourism picks up again, you can ask them to bring over a few bottles.  

I am unfortunately a life-long allergy sufferer.  I have allergies all year round in Thailand, but this time of year is always worse.   What works best for me is 1/2 tablet (5mg) Cetirizine and 1/2 tablet (5mg) Loratadine taken roughly every 6 hours.  I'm not a doctor so don't take this as medical advice, it's only what works best for me.  

Never had it before I came to Thailand, now have to take a tablet every day. Hua Hin doesn't suffer from heavy pollution AFAIK. Starting hay fever in my sixties, what's that all about. If I don't take a tablet I have it when I'm out of doors during the day as well as at home in the evening (home might be dust, etc., of course). I take one small Fatec (brand name) every day. 

On 10/22/2021 at 11:12 AM, Speedo1968 said:

As others have mentioned probably air pollution, could check your aircon unit to see if it needs cleaning.

It worsens when going outside, and get it whether living in the city or small village

On 10/22/2021 at 12:52 PM, Sheryl said:

I'm currently on Fexofenadine which is helping, but it's only lasting 8-10 hours. Often waking up with awful symptoms as it wears off. What would you suggest as an alternative?

On 10/22/2021 at 3:04 PM, luckyscruff said:

Yes Hay fever has started now , it happens just as the rice is getting ready for harvest .

I take CHLORPHEN-Y TABLETS  from any local chemist , price 15 bhat for 100 tablets , in a small cream container

These sound ridiculously cheap, how to they compare to antihistamines? 

On 10/22/2021 at 4:11 PM, userabcd said:

Cetirizine or loratadine, generic versions are easily available at most pharmacies for 40 to 90 baht for 10 tabs.

Take 1 tab per 24 hrs and it helps.

What's the difference between the two? can one make you more drowsy than the others?

(Sorry lots of questions, just the one i'm taking doesn't last long enough and having to go to the pharmacy every 3 days

Also just learnt how to multi-quote, quite good ????)

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

...I'm currently on Fexofenadine which is helping, but it's only lasting 8-10 hours. Often waking up with awful symptoms as it wears off. What would you suggest as an alternative?

Cetirizine lasts longer, dosage is once a day - you could try it. Brand name Zyrtec plus countless local brands.

If nasal stuffiness or sinus congestion (as opposed to itchy eyes etc) are prominent features then you might also benefit from steroid nasal drops/spray  but should not self prescribe this, see a good ENT first as there might also be a degree of chronic sinusitis present in which case might also need an antibiotic. Where in Thailand are you located?

23 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

It worsens when going outside, and get it whether living in the city or small village

I'm currently on Fexofenadine which is helping, but it's only lasting 8-10 hours. Often waking up with awful symptoms as it wears off. What would you suggest as an alternative?

These sound ridiculously cheap, how to they compare to antihistamines? 

What's the difference between the two? can one make you more drowsy than the others?

(Sorry lots of questions, just the one i'm taking doesn't last long enough and having to go to the pharmacy every 3 days

Also just learnt how to multi-quote, quite good ????)

Hi. 

As others said, check for sinusitis, it could be compounding the problem. I take one 10mg tablet of cetirizine dihydrochloride daily (Fatec) and it lasts all day (I take it in the morning, no drowsiness) . I live 8km outside of a town so it's not pollution, it's hay fever. I sometimes have dust allergy in the evening when in my home and a 1g2 hour blast of a Hatari air purifier takes care of that quickly.

I believe you can build up resistance to these drugs, so I've also taken Xyzal and Zyrtek in the past, I think both were quite effective, although they are also cetirizine based. Good luck in your search.