Is Your Thailand Refrigerator BIG Enough?

GammaGlobulin

A refrigerator is sort of like a computer Hard Drive (HD).

One can never have enough space, no matter how large it might be.

As you know, anytime you move into a condo, a guesthouse, or even a large house, you immediately recognize that the refrigerator is about three sizes too small.

Also, in most cases, the refrigerator the landlord provides is not frost-free.

Why is this?

So, anyway, when I look for a house to rent, I always seek a house with no refrigerator, and also a house with no air conditioners.

This way, I can just buy my own BIG fridge, and my own very high-efficiency air conditioner units.

Mostly, in most cases, when you rent a house, the refrigerator unit, and the AC units, are garbage.

And so, I am just wondering...How BIG do you prefer your refrigerator?

If I had my own house which I purchased myself, then I would have one of those walk-in refrigerators in which I could hang a lamb and a side of beef, plus about 40 cases of beer, and a ton of vegetables, such as squash, broccoli , brussel sprouts, as well as about 2-years supply of rice and flour, not to mention other things I would like to keep very cold.

Some walk-in freezers can maintain temps down to about minus 25 degrees C.

HOWEVER, if you are just renting a house, then what is the MINIMUM size refrigerator that you can accept as being adequate for your purposes?

Here is my RULE OF THUMB for judging the size of my fridge:

The refrigerator should be taller than you are, if you are about 182 centimeters tall.

The refrigerator should have two doors.

The refrigerator should be able to make ice, quickly.

The refrigerator should be about 180 cm wide.

The refrigerator should also be BEAUTIFUL.

The problem is that when you rent a house, all they give you is this tiny pisant refrigerator that ices up too fast, and is not suitable for everyday living.

Why do they do this?

This just makes our lives so very much more difficult.

And so, the best thing to do is to buy your own refrigerator, and negotiate a better price with your landlord to make up for the cost of buying your own machine.

We all have our own brands we like.  However, my favorite brand of fridge is Hitachi, and also Panasonic.  But, I like Hitachi even better.

===

What I like to keep in my refrigerator, these days, is mostly water.

But, I also sometimes keep about 30 kilograms of rice in my refrigerator.

Also vegetables, by the large box.

And, I always keep about 120 eggs, at low temperature, as well.

During the pandemic, it is always good to have at least 30 days-worth of food in the fridge.  But, in the past, I kept 60 days of meals, just in case.

So, I am just wondering how large your refrigerator is.  And, do you use two refrigerators, plus a large freezer?

During these uncertain times, I really wish I had one of those very large freezers where I could keep meat.

Of course, if the power were to fail for three days, then everything inside the freezer or refrigerator would be worthless.

=============

Having a beautiful big refrigerator, at least for me, provides me with a great deal of satisfaction.

No doubt you feel as do I about this.

• 2 years later...
On 10/25/2021 at 1:51 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

During these uncertain times, I really wish I had one of those very large freezers where I
could keep meat.

Just noticed this was posted years ago - oops.

Anxiety issues?  I had my first bout with this in 50 years when the lock down started and as luck would have it, everything else seemed to be falling apart that was unrelated to Covid.  Started worrying about things that were inconsequential.  

Uncertain times?  Be fortunate you haven't experienced truly uncertain times and you are living in a world where you have the luxury to  spend your days making frivolous posts which unlike many, I find entertaining.

Charlies fridge pic above looks great but i would pack it with things I shouldn't be eating.  We live in a country where daily shopping is easy.  fresh meats and produce usually a 5 minute journey.  I myself shop every few days and the GF hits the markets and new dedicated meet shops that are first class IMO. my 305 liter fridge is more than enough but that's just me.