Nine-year-old boy and his six-year-old sister drown in Ban Bueng lagoon

webfact

screenshot_15550.jpg

PHOTO: Wisarn Sangjaroen / Top News

By Goong Nang(GN)

Ban Bueng – A nine-year-old boy and his six-year-old younger sister tragically drowned at a lagoon in Ban Bueng over the past weekend, according to family members and local authorities.

Emergency responders were notified of the accident over the past weekend at a lagoon in Ban Bueng.

The lagoon in question is 10 meters wide, 15 meters long, and about three meters deep.

The two young fatalities were identified by family members as a nine-year-old boy, Anucha Watayotha, and his six-year-old sister Thitaya Watayotha.

Local residents had pulled up the Thitaya from the water before medical first responders arrived at the scene. Thitaya was rushed to a local hospital, however, was tragically pronounced dead upon arrival.

Anucha’s body was later found by a rescue diver searching underwater in the lagoon.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/10/25/nine-year-old-boy-and-his-six-year-old-sister-drown-in-ban-bueng-lagoon/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Sad 10

Their grandfather, Mr. Prasan Singrat, told the associated Thai press, “I take care of all three of my grandchildren every day as their parents went to work.”

Apparently not well enough. Kids have to be watched every minute. It's part of being a parent - or, as so often is the case in Thailand, a grandparent. If you don't 'have the time' or interest or the inclination then don't be a parent or accept the responsibility.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Tragic,

I have said it before and i will say it again teach your children how to swim is the number 1 priority, for some reasons Thais just dont get it which boggles me as there is so much water in Thailand.

I got my daughter to learn to swim at least survive if she fell into water as soon as it was possible, a lot of ponds, creeks etc in Thailand are dark waters if your child falls in you will not see them 

• Like 1

Liability in thailand is determined by cultural tradition not a legal system in search of fair compensation…

this case won’t even go to the courts…someone will end up paying via negotiations about 5,000 baht per head and call it a day…

time to move to the next pond…

7 hours ago, webfact said:

drowned at a lagoon in Ban Bueng

I hate to be picky in such a tragic story but:-

"A lagoon is a shallow body of water separated from a larger body of water by a narrow landform, such as reefs, barrier islands, barrier peninsulas, or isthmuses. Lagoons are commonly divided into coastal lagoons and atoll lagoons. They have also been identified as occurring on mixed-sand and gravel coastlines. Wikipedia"

Ban Bueng is miles inland and across the Chonburi mountains from the sea.

This was a pond, not a lagoon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

Agree with all the above comments.  A tragedy waiting to happen.  Thailand has double the World average for drownings. How many swimming lessons could 100 millions baht pay for?  That's the sum for a New Year's Eve party!

How about the parents take there kids swimming why must the state be responsible for everything

4 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Mandatory swimming lessons at all schools. 

no chance, would require massive capital investment to give all schools access to swimming pool facilities not to mention the training and employment of suitably qualified swimming teachers and life guards.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Almer said:

How about the parents take there kids swimming why must the state be responsible for everything

That assumes the parents can swim & they don't work every hour God sends to feed their kids.  You could say that about schools or policing; the Thai Gov pays for those too and get a very bad return on their money.

• Like 1