Monthly Income for Marriage Visa

Hello,

I just had my marriage visa approved today. I am hoping to qualify for it next year by sending over the minimum 40k baht per month from outside Thailand. However, I saw that if I go down this route then I need a letter from my embassy. However, the source of my income is not in my home country. Does this mean I cannot qualify? Also, if I can get my visa this way, do I just need to receive money every calendar month or how does it work?

Kind regards,

Chesterpot

The money needs to come from a pension like social security or a company retirement pension where you can get a letter that verifies that you get the money from a source that will not likely end. From my experience the letter from the Veterans administration that I use has to be updated each year for the visa extension renewal. Each immigration office seems to have their own requirements.

• Confused 2

You need 40 k pm on or about the same day transferred into your Thai bank account clearly showing as an FTT International Funds Transfer transaction. Many of us use Wise and Bangkok Bank to ensure this choosing the "funds for long term stay in Thailand" drop down Wise menu

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

You need 40 k pm on or about the same day transferred into your Thai bank account clearly showing as an FTT International Funds Transfer transaction. Many of us use Wise and Bangkok Bank to ensure this choosing the "funds for long term stay in Thailand" drop down Wise menu

If you use the Wise and BBK bank you need to get Wise to "tag" your BBK bank details so that your transfers go to your BBK only. If Wise do that then your BBK bank account statement will show as International and the bankbook will show as FTT.

If Wise send it to BKK then it will show as FTT and be paid out just after 2pm on the next banking day. If however it is sent via another bank and arrives in seconds then it will show up as an internal bank transfer and you will need o go to the intermediary bank and get a proof of foreign funds transfer from that bank.

There are several other threads running on the forum which will give you all the information that you will need and more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Put 400 K in the bank (your name) 2 months before the 1 extension, 3 months for the following. Less paperwork.

Assuming that you have 400,000 baht that you can afford to tie up for at least 6 months to a year.

25 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Assuming that you have 400,000 baht that you can afford to tie up for at least 6 months to a year.

There is absolutely no need to tie it up for more than an absolute maximum of 4 months, and that Is if you renew 30 days before the extension expires in an office where the under consideration runs for 30 day from the expiration date and you choose to keep the money in during the under consideration period.

30 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I think he was writing about the 400k baht for a extension based upon marriage not retirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

If you use the Wise and BBK bank you need to get Wise to "tag" your BBK bank details so that your transfers go to your BBK only. If Wise do that then your BBK bank account statement will show as International and the bankbook will show as FTT.

If Wise send it to BKK then it will show as FTT and be paid out just after 2pm on the next banking day. If however it is sent via another bank and arrives in seconds then it will show up as an internal bank transfer and you will need o go to the intermediary bank and get a proof of foreign funds transfer from that bank.

There are several other threads running on the forum which will give you all the information that you will need and more.

Do you just ask wise via email to tag you? I have two different bank accounts one them is Bangkok bank. In addition I read that you could have your social security directly deposit into Bangkok bank branch New York. Would that work?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, raptorea said:

Do you just ask wise via email to tag you? I have two different bank accounts one them is Bangkok bank. In addition I read that you could have your social security directly deposit into Bangkok bank branch New York. Would that work?

IIRC I rang Wise in the UK where my pensions come from and asked them to tag my BBK account (I only have one).

As for BBK Bank in New York, I have no idea as I am from the UK and not the USA but I am sure that someone with that knowledge will respond to your query.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 12:12 PM, Lite Beer said:

The money can come from anything.

Immigration need to see a monthly foreign transfer into your bank of 40,000.

As you are from UK the Embassy will not issue the letter so you need the monthly bank transfer.

That is not true at my Immigration office. They want to know from who and where the monthly foreign transfer into your bank of 40,000 or 65,000 in my case came from. 

Edited by kiteman9
correction
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kiteman9 said:

That is not true at my Immigration office. They want to know from who and where the monthly foreign transfer into your bank of 40,000 or 65,000 in my case came from. 

About 6 to 8 weeks before my extension is due I contact my pension providers for a letter stating how much my gross income for the period xxx to yyy is. 2 of them send it by snail mail, and 1 by email. I scan the letters when I get them and give the original to the local Immi office and a copy for the regional office along with bank statements.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, raptorea said:

Yes I have been doing it for years now.    https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

• Thanks 1