Direct Flights Required???

CRUNCHER

As I read the opening up requirements, "transit/transfers ...is not allowed".  Taken literally this must mean direct flights.

How many countries/cities outside of SE Asia and Middle east have direct flights to Thailand?  Where available they tend to be more expensive than one stop flights. Worse still it might mean flying TAG which is even more expensive. 

Please tell me I am wrong!!

To attract visitors transit should be allowed, if necessary with conditions. Such as:-

• A time cap on the lay-over, e.g. 8 or 10 hours;
  • Boarding passes for both legs must be issued at point of origin; and
  • Baggage must be checked through for both legs at point of origin.

The last 2 are the norm anyway.

Perhaps we only need a bit of clarification from the Government.

I've always disliked the "direct flights" only formulation for the Phuket Sandbox.  In my opinion it fails to convey the crucial point which is if you land in Bangkok you can't fly on to participate in the Phuket Sandbox.

Put another way, if you wish to participate in the Phuket Sandbox, Phuket must be the first place you land in Thailand (you can land outside of Thailand but in Thailand it must be Phuket and only Phuket).

No doubt, someday landing in Bangkok will be OK, but for now until that changes (and it hasn't since July 1), you can't land in Bangkok and go to the Phuket Sandbox.  You will see much written about people wanting it to change and maybe even planning for it to change, but it hasn't happened yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skatewash said:

No doubt, someday landing in Bangkok will be OK, but for now until that changes (and it hasn't since July 1), you can't land in Bangkok and go to the Phuket Sandbox.  You will see much written about people wanting it to change and maybe even planning for it to change, but it hasn't happened yet.

I thought most flights (that go to Phuket) had been rerouted (to offload at Phuket before continuing to Bangkok)?

Edited by Salerno

13 minutes ago, Salerno said:

I thought most flights (that go to Phuket) had been rerouted (to offload at Phuket before continuing to Bangkok)?

I believe most have.  As long as you get out in Phuket you should be OK.  The plane continuing on to Bangkok isn't a problem for the Sandbox if you get out in Phuket.  

My understanding is that they wanted and continue to want all processing of Phuket Sandbox passengers to occur at Phuket Airport and only there.  All things are subject to change if you look far enough into the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

Damn, I thought they where still way under that. That's not bad considering (from the airlines point of view not the passengers).

Being a businessman, I'm happy there are making money again. As a customer, I'm very happy with 50%full flights. Or less!

• Like 1