A complicated, modern family.

I'm Australian.  I've lived in Thailand since the '90s. My same sex spouse and I were married in NSW in 2018. Our marriage is registered in NSW. 

My husband legally dopted 2 children who are stateless. He adopted as a single parent because same sex adoption is not allowed here. The children were born in Bangkok. Their parents are from Myanmar. It's a slow process to get them Thai citizenship,  but it will happen, eventually. Until then, the children are stateless.  

We would like our children to have Australian citizenship.  I don't think I can adopt them until Australian citizenship happens or the Thai law on same sex marriage and adoption changes. But citizenship is the priority. How can this happen? Any family immigration experts can help? 

• Haha 1

Thanks. Yep, it's complicated. No answers apply to us in my extensive reading.  

Because we're a same sex couple I have no recognized rights as their parent in Thailand.  And can't adopt in Australia because they're in Thailand,  (but not yet Thai). We are happy to stay in Thailand but would like our kids to have as much opportunity as possible.  Being Australian for them, would have more possibilities. 

The law here may change. But it's been talked about since 2012. That would solve a lot of issues.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Patinbk said:

My same sex spouse and I were married in NSW in 2018. Our marriage is registered in NSW. 

Congratulations on your marriage, it's about time ScoMo got off of his high horse, not having the balls, excuse the pun, as a PM to take a vote on it in parliament, and the people spoke, rightfully so, but this is why you elect politicians to do this in parliament.

11 minutes ago, Patinbk said:

Because we're a same sex couple I have no recognized rights as their parent in Thailand. 

That sucks, again excuse the pun.

Hope it works out for you guys eventually, as I can imagine what the blacks went through, and still do go through from time to time.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Congratulations on your marriage, it's about time ScoMo got off of his high horse, not having the balls, excuse the pun, as a PM to take a vote on it in parliament, and the people spoke, rightfully so, but this is why you elect politicians to do this in parliament.

That sucks, again excuse the pun.

Hope it works out for you guys eventually, as I can imagine what the blacks went through, and still do go through from time to time.

The debate was won under Turnbull in 2017

• Thanks 1

Firstly great for both you and your spouse.

I suggest you contact the Aust Ambassador in BKK  for information, have you considered ask(contacting) Julian Burnside QC, who does great Human Rights advocacy . There is also the Pro Bono Centre at UNSW, which may be able to offer assistance and information.

Good luck, and hold your heads high

• Like 1

I wish you luck, I am in a situation where we were given a baby girl on the day she was born, rather than mum wanting to chuck her in an orphanage. Now - 5 years later  even though mum is in contact with us she never commits to meeting us again and signing any adoption paperwork, which seeing as we want to take her to the UK later is not helping her with her life 

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2021 at 9:05 PM, RichardColeman said:

I wish you luck, I am in a situation where we were given a baby girl on the day she was born, rather than mum wanting to chuck her in an orphanage. Now - 5 years later  even though mum is in contact with us she never commits to meeting us again and signing any adoption paperwork, which seeing as we want to take her to the UK later is not helping her with her life 

Have you thought about offering some $'s, for the kids future that is.