Getting a short visa extension beyond 30 days visa free entry

Hi There. I'm a UK citizen living in Ireland I have booked a 36 day trip (Emirates flight) to Thailand  starting on Dec 12th. I see that the 45 day visa is back to 30 day visa free system. As 30 days is not enough and border hopping is complicated at present I looked into getting a standard tourist visa but the Thai embassy in Dublin shut in May and I can't use the e-visa system (or so it tells me) via the UK embassy. Neither do I have the time or opportunity to go to London in person to sort a visa out. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a short (6 day) extension to a visa free 30 day entry to Thailand once you're there? 

If anyone knows of any other options I'd love to hear. It's a shame that the old taking a trip to another local country is so complicated by covid and I'm hoping that I don't have to shorten my visit to avoid visa hassles.

You can obtain a 30 day extension to a visa exempt entry (it's not a visa). Cost 1900baht.

That would give you 30+30.

Total 60 days. 

Be aware that the airline most likely require an onward flight for boarding pass.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wanderingengine said:

You can (always could) get an additional 30 days at the immigration office after arriving.

However, the outgoing flight that you present at airport checkin will probably need to be less than 30 days from your arrival in Thailand.

Thanks for that. So I could, for example, buy a cheap flight to Singapore or similar, to show at aiport check in when leaving at the start of the trip?

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You can obtain a 30 day extension to a visa exempt entry (it's not a visa). Cost 1900baht.

That would give you 30+30.

Total 60 days. 

Be aware that the airline most likely require an onward flight for boarding pass.

Thanks for the reply. I am reading on the Thai immigration site that you can only get a 30 day extension based on an existing visa and not on the visa exemption system (they don't make it easy!). Do you know if that's definitely the case? Let's just say it is possible to do that extension. Do you mean that if you had, for example , evidence of a flight to say Singapore, 25 days after arriving in Thailand, that would be sufficient to satisfy your long haul carrier and they'll issue your boarding pass, even though they'll know you have a return ticket with them 36 days later? Hope that makes sense!!

12 minutes ago, Phil Wheal said:

Thanks for the reply. I am reading on the Thai immigration site that you can only get a 30 day extension based on an existing visa and not on the visa exemption system (they don't make it easy!). Do you know if that's definitely the case? Let's just say it is possible to do that extension. Do you mean that if you had, for example , evidence of a flight to say Singapore, 25 days after arriving in Thailand, that would be sufficient to satisfy your long haul carrier and they'll issue your boarding pass, even though they'll know you have a return ticket with them 36 days later? Hope that makes sense!!

Yes to both.

You could try check in with your existing return flight.

Explain the standard 30 day extension option. However check in staff may not be flexible if airline has standard fixed policy. You could then step away and book onward flight (eg Singapore) on the spot. A screenshot will be acceptable. It would need to be confirmed (meaning paid for) 

Another option is to buy a "rent a ticket" from online company. Google that and you will find tickets `~$15 USD.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phil Wheal said:

OP. I may be in the same situation soon. UK passport but living in Ireland. What was the reason given for not being able to use the e visa system?

For proof of a ticket out of the country in less than 30 days have a look at www.onwardticket.com

There are loads of other similar sites. Designed for pedantic visa regulations!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Phil Wheal said:

Thanks for the reply. I am reading on the Thai immigration site that you can only get a 30 day extension based on an existing visa and not on the visa exemption system (they don't make it easy!).

Most immigration websites are out of date for info about extensions. This from the immigration order issued in 2014 allowing them.

image.png.577b9559b44753ae8446ff27ccd53e80.png

Info on embassy and consulate websites are ever worse since some has info that has been out of date of many years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Phil, From an Irish friend, I'm aware of the Dublin office (very helpful and friendly)  closing which makes it extreme difficult for Irish travellers ..

Before u consider visas you need to deal with getting the ThailandPass !!

Which will require u or someone to help U to log on to the UK embassy (very unhelpful and not friendly) site .. to submit your vaccination details, insurance details and suggest request a 90 day visa ...

The days of hoping on a plane and turning up are well gone ... unfortunately

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I am also a UK citizen living in Ireland. After the closing of the Dublin consulate we are now supposed to use the London Thai Embassy.

Phil did you register your details and create an account for the E visa online or was it after that stage it said you couldn't use it or before.

Curious as I will also be applying for a visa but may well go visa exempt and extension if it proves so difficult to obtain visa.

Thanks so much everyone for your really helpful replies. I've also found that Emirates, who i'm flying with, are understanding re visa extensions so are unlikely to be that difficult based on their stated policies.

Edited by Phil Wheal
bad grammar
  • Thanks 1