At 83 is There an Medical Insurance For Me?

Havenstreet1940

it now appears that in order  enter Thailand I will require General Medical coverage of a minimum amount of US$50000 which also includes Covid-19.

I was planning on going to visit my family in 2022 but in the absence of medical coverage I  would not be able to return to my wife and home in Thailand.   In the past any hospital treatment I have required has always been self-financed.

i now have to find Insurance if I want to execute my visit but so far I am unable to find any company that would insure me at my age.

Currently I have no underlying medical conditions and would expect to pay in the regionof THB 200K annually.

Does any one have knowledge of a plan that would accept me?

Cigna Global is usually best bet for expat policy over age 80, could consider either their Silver Plan and Close Care Plans. You should get through a broker, very important as they will help with claims afterwards and Cigna especially can be time consuming to deal with (nothing sinister - just ditsy/inefficient admin staff) . Also - extremely important - they can help get the necessary certifications for re-entry which can otherwise be hard to obtain from most insurers. Note that the new re-entry rules are very new and it is not yet clear what type of documentation will be required/accepted but this should become more apparent in the coming month or two.

Cigna Silver Plan, even with a large deductible (excess), will cost most than 200K  a year. You can see different rates under different deductible  and copay scenarios online here:

https://www.cignaglobal.com/quote/pages/quote/PersonalInformationLiteV4.html?new=true

Warning: do nto enter your true email and phone number or you will be hounded by agents.

Close Care premiums should be less bu you can't get quotes online, ask broker.

Other alternative is to get a travel policy for the time interval you will be stamped back in for on return. (Same as the date on your current permission to stay or on your re-entry permit). While this will work for re-entry requirements, it may come to pass that insurance will be required for annual extensions of stay at which point travel policy is not a feasible approach.

For broker, I recommend AA Insurance  www.aainsure.net

Offices in Pattaya and Hua Hin or can do it all online

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Cigna Global is usually best bet for expat policy over age 80, could consider either their Silver Plan and Close Care Plans. You should get through a broker, very important as they will help with claims afterwards and Cigna especially can be time consuming to deal with (nothing sinister - just ditsy/inefficient admin staff) . Also - extremely important - they can help get the necessary certifications for re-entry which can otherwise be hard to obtain from most insurers. Note that the new re-entry rules are very new and it is not yet clear what type of documentation will be required/accepted but this should become more apparent in the coming month or two.

Cigna Silver Plan, even with a large deductible (excess), will cost most than 200K  a year. You can see different rates under different deductible  and copay scenarios online here:

https://www.cignaglobal.com/quote/pages/quote/PersonalInformationLiteV4.html?new=true

Warning: do nto enter your true email and phone number or you will be hounded by agents.

Close Care premiums should be less bu you can't get quotes online, ask broker.

Other alternative is to get a travel policy for the time interval you will be stamped back in for on return. (Same as the date on your current permission to stay or on your re-entry permit). While this will work for re-entry requirements, it may come to pass that insurance will be required for annual extensions of stay at which point travel policy is not a feasible approach.

For broker, I recommend AA Insurance  www.aainsure.net

Offices in Pattaya and Hua Hin or can do it all online

As always Sheryl a very helpful and informative reply.  Much appreciated.

• Like 1