Phuket small business operators call for SHA+ to be cancelled

Jonathan Fairfield

13 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

SHA+, is the government’s certification

as I mentioned on another thread,   most small businesses down know what this is or they don't have it. 

Same can be said for all the bars & pubs.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The group of small business operators, about 100 in number, first gathered at Queen Sirikit Park  in Phuket Town, brandishing placards with slogans including, “SHA+ issues are causing us trouble” and “SHA plus is a cold-blooded killer”

Even they know it was all a scam for the "chosen hotels"

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bkk_bwana said:

Many small businesses, especially guesthouses cannot get a SHA certification because they are not registered and have been operating illegally. SHA is only available to legitimate businesses, not the grey economy, sorry folks.

Partly true but many licensed operations are also unable to satisfy the requirements simply because they are too small. They can't answer all the required questions and provide the required photographs (some of which are ridiculous) simply because they don't offer certain facilities.

However, the fact that arrivals now only have to spend one night in a SHA+ hotel makes this protest at this stage unnecessary. Most small hotels can't offer the facilities to take care of the new arrivals, such as providing food in the rooms and even providing enough space to eat in the room. Until the Government stance changes, this requirement remains unchanged.

Although Im back in the UK, my partner is still running our guesthouse and we are simply explaining to any guests to make sure they book their first night in an SHA+ hotel. Not had to send many emails yet!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bkk_bwana said:

Many small businesses, especially guesthouses cannot get a SHA certification because they are not registered and have been operating illegally. SHA is only available to legitimate businesses, not the grey economy, sorry folks.

No tax no SHA 

From link ; 

Vice Governor Pichet noted that according to the criteria for accepting tourists from Nov 1, “some of these groups are unable to accept tourists, because it is not allowed by hotel law.”

He also countered that from Nov 1, inbound tourists are required to stay at a SHA+ hotel for only one night. “The rest of the time they can choose to stay at other accommodation venues,” he said.

I think this high and mighty guy must not be getting to grips with the reality that even 1 night in a hotel after 2 vaccines, prior test, having to get passes and insurance, and more and then a stay in a SHA hotel and another test is putting tourists off completely from coming

The lesser hotels should be more complaining about the tourists not coming at all due to ALL the entry restrictions, than 1 night in a hotel they cannot 'legally'  do

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Why didn't they just join it?   It's not that difficult.  Unless you're operating illegally of course.

Did you read my previous post?

The SHA+ questionnaire is simply not made for guesthouses and small hotels. Many have made at least an initial effort to join, only to be turned down or even not attempting to provide all the required information as it is simply not practical or not possible.

NB there are varying levels of licensing and most places are at least licensed at the local tessabaan and many pay room tax despite not having the highest level of licensing, in other words they are recognised as licensed accommodation providers where handing over cash is concerned!

• Like 2

From what i can see sha plus is gov scheme to charge alot for one night ,then they move on.I looked into bkk they are mostly 5 star hotels  and just a few cheaper ones.I don,t know  what the cost is yet but i,am sure it will not be cheap.Not as bad as 14 days i suppose