I Look Forward To It!

chanchao

While my usual response to people wanting 1:1 translations of things like could and would (see other message) is to stop worrying about finding exact translations for these things, I do really wonder about this one:

Say someone says he's throwing a party and you're delighted to attend and want to say you look forward to it. I.e. you're excited about the prospect of attending.

Would you say that in Thai and how?

I can think of some stuff with 'yin dee' and all those but I'd like more positive excitement in there. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

While my usual response to people wanting 1:1 translations of things like could and would (see other message) is to stop worrying about finding exact translations for these things, I do really wonder about this one:

Say someone says he's throwing a party and you're delighted to attend and want to say you look forward to it.  I.e. you're excited about the prospect of attending.

Would you say that in Thai and how?

I can think of some stuff with 'yin dee' and all those but I'd like more positive excitement in there. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Hi there Chanchao! :D

How about an expression using "เต็มใจ (dtem jai)" which is stronger than "ยินดี (yin dee)"

For example like this:

ผมเต็มใจที่จะไปที่งานเลี้ยงของคุณ =I'm really looking forward to attending your party.

You can also use the expression "เต็มอกเต็มใจ" but it might be considered a bit old fashioned.

ขอบคุณมาก ด้วยความเต็มอกเต็มใจ=Thank you very much.I will be delighted to attend.

Are these of any help for you? :D

I might have a couple of other suggestions later! :o

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

The only comment I have about the เต็มใจ sentence is that I believe it will sound rather unnatural - like a farang trying to translate from English into Thai. Quite simply, it is very unlikely that a Thai person would ever use any of these expressions. If you want to sound more like a Thai, then you should say something such as อยากไปจริงๆ. You may add a personal pronoun to the beginning of the sentence if you are not familiar with the person giving the invitation or to show respect. Add ครับ for politeness. Although this may sound too ordinary, it is more representative of what a Thai person might say and it conveys the sense that you are very much looking forward to the event in question.

I like that reasoning.. And perhaps add something with µ×è¹àµé¹ (tuen ten) to spell it out if I was really excited about it.

Then again 'I look forward to it' is also kind of a neutral polite thing to say in English that not always has a lot of meaning.. In that case 'tem jai' sounds like a safe bet..

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Chanchao

The only comment I have about the เต็มใจ sentence is that I believe it will sound rather unnatural - like a farang trying to translate from English into Thai.  Quite simply, it is very unlikely that a Thai person would ever use any of these expressions. 

Actually,let me assure you that many more Thais use the sentence with "เต็มใจ"(dtem jai) than any Farangs ever do! :o

I learned it from Thais and I've heard them use it several times completely naturally since then! :D

Keep your "Farang" ears tuned in and you might even catch it yourself next time the Thais run it by you! :D

Cheers. :D

Snowleopard.

Then again 'I look forward to it' is also kind of a neutral polite thing to say in English that not always has a lot of meaning..  In that case 'tem jai' sounds like a safe bet..

Hi again Chanchao,

Here's another expression you could use in some circumstances instead of "yin dee":

รู้สึกเป็นเกียรติอย่างยิ่ง (roo-seuk phen gier-tee yahng ying)="I feel very honored"! :D

"DTEM JAI" (เค็มใจ) can be used either as a verb or as an adverb;and it can also be used in the same sentence with "YIN DEE" :o

Examples:

1.ผมเต็มใจที่ได้รับคำเชิญของคุณ (pom dtem-jai tee dai rahp kahm cheun korng khun)=I'm delighted to have received your invitation.

2.ผมอยากจะไปที่การเฉลิมฉลองด้วยความเต็มใจ (pom yahk-jah pai tee gahn chaleum-cha-long doay kwam dtem jai)=I'm looking forward to attending the celebration with great anticipation.

3.เรายินดีให้บริการแก่เพื่อนฝุงอยางเต็มใจ จึงทุกคนสุขสันต์กันมากๆที่การเลี้ยง (rao yin-dee hai borikhan gae peu-an fong yahng dtem-jai jeung tok kon sook-sahn gun mahk mahk tee gahn lee-ang )= We were happy to arrange and serve everything for our friends at the party so everybody got a blissfully happy time.

Snowleopard.

• 2 weeks later...

Then again 'I look forward to it' is also kind of a neutral polite thing to say in English that not always has a lot of meaning..  In that case 'tem jai' sounds like a safe bet..

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Chanchao

Hi there Chanchao!

I've been thinking a bit about your dilemma re expressing the English saying "look forward to" in Thai;and,now I've come up with a neat little idiomatic expression which I think you might like to know,and use too,when that occasion rolls around! :o

Look forward to=คอยด้วยความตั้งใจ=KOY DOAY KWAM DTANG JAI

Example:

ฉันคอยด้วยความตั้งใจที่จะไปงานเลี้ยงของคุณ=chan koy doay kwam dtang jai tee ja pai ngarn lee-ang korng koon=I'm looking forward to attending your party.

ไม่ต้องกลัวนะ ถ้าอยากจะตอบ เชิญตอบก็ได้=Mai dtorng gloo-a na thaa yahk-ja dtorp cheun dtorp ko dai=Don't be afraid to respond with some feedback if you wish. :D

Snowleopard.

ฉันคอยด้วยความตั้งใจที่จะไปงานเลี้ยงของคุณ=chan koy doay kwam dtang jai tee ja pai ngarn lee-ang korng koon=I'm looking forward to attending your party.

You may perhaps see something like this written in a novel.

It's an idiom so you may run across it in many walks of life if your senses are acute enough to spot it! :o

But that is,of course, only after you've been shown the way and know what you're supposed to be looking out for! :D

Now you've gotten the hint so good luck with your hunting bobbie! :D

Let's see if you might even catch a prey by yourself this time? :D

Snowleopard.

Hear ye,hear ye..."Look Forward to It"! :D

The adept and well adapted Predator-at the very top of the food chain-has once again stalked,hunted down and slain his prey! :o

On today's menu,there is another offer with a spoon-fed serving of how to suavely express the English idiom "look forward to" into the Thai language in a neat little-and easily digestible-fashion! :D

I'm willingly sharing it with you because I think it might be of interest for some serious students of Thai,who really want to become sophisticated enough to express themselves articulately in this wonderful vernacular-above the most basic,moronic level where many unfortunates are still trapped in limbo! :D

Without further ado,here it is:

ฉันจะตั้งตารอคอย=chan ja dtang dtaa roh koy=I'm looking forward to it!

Snowleopard has now leisurely nibbled and tasted some of this prey's flesh but feels pretty fed up of feeding on it any further;so,instead he moves on to new hunting grounds for more adventures with fresh linguistic flavors at the frontier.

The prey's decaying carrion will be left behind though;so greedy little bobcat can hunt it down later and get himself a square meal for free once again-together with the vultures and other starving scavengers of the land!

"Bon Appetit" pussycat! :wub:

Compliments of chef "Big Claw"! :D

"Look forward to" more?Just ask and thou shalt receive!

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

Snowleopard's expressions are very eloquent, and in my experience would be the type of expressions a teacher might suggest, or which might be prepared in the thank you notes read aloud at a formal occasion, but I have never heard lingo like this from "everyday Somsak".

My way of expressing this to a friend would be

(phom) ruu-seuk teun-ten/yin dee jang thii ja pai ngaan liang (khong khun [na khrap])

--------------------------------------

Another interesting question, which you may have thought about as well, Snowleopard:

In Sweden, it is customary to say "Tack för senast" (back translates as "Thank you for last time")) when you meet somebody the first time after they have thrown a party you've attended.

This sounds a bit strange in the English cultural context, and Thais would hardly use it either. What would you suggest as a substitute in Thai?

In English, "I had a really great time at your party/really enjoyed your party" works to express gratitude.

..."ngaan meuawaan sanuk maak (jang loei)"...?

Snowleopard's expressions are very eloquent, and in my experience would be the type of expressions a teacher might suggest, or which might be prepared in the thank you notes read aloud at a formal occasion, but I have never heard lingo like this from "everyday Somsak".

(phom) ruu-seuk teun-ten/yin dee jang thii ja pai ngaan liang (khong khun [na khrap])

--------------------------------------

Another interesting question, which you may have thought about as well, Snowleopard:

In Sweden, it is customary to say "Tack för senast" (back translates as "Thank you for last time")) when you meet somebody the first time after they have thrown a party you've attended.

This sounds a bit strange in the English cultural context, and Thais would hardly use it either. What would you suggest as a substitute in Thai?

In English, "I had a really great time at your party/really enjoyed your party" works to express gratitude.

Hi there Meadish and thanks for your input! :D

I agree with your assertion that the above would be the most commonly used expression to to be heard among local Thai folks!

I posted the other alternatives because they do exist in real life and can be heard from time to time so it's good to be aware of their existence and recognize them when they incidently pop up!

Chanchao also asked for some more postive excitement than the ordinary "yin-dee";so,that's why I turned on my search radar and detected a few stealthy idioms lurking out there! :o

Snowleopard's expressions are very eloquent
I have a couple of other expressions along similar lines I wanna share so I'll post them here;so.you can check them out and see if they are of any use for you.

I've noticed that you have a greater interest in Thai than most other posters around these fora! :D

If you have any tidbits to share,I'd love to hear them because I'm always enormously interested in learning some new stuff too!

The first expression is similar in nature to my previous post:

ฉันตั้งหน้าตั้งคอยจะไป=chan dtang nah dtang khoy ja pai=I look forward to going.

The second expression is a little bit different in meaning:

ฉันใจจดใจจ่อจะไป=chan jai jot jai joh ja pai=I have made up my mind on going./I'm focused on going.

I think your Thai expression is good enough to use as it stands so I'll just write some examples along the same lines without adding much original thoughts!You probably know these already.

1a.ขอบคุณสำหรับคราวที่แล้ว=kob khun samrahp khraow tee laeow.=Tack för senast.

b.ขอบคุณสำหรับคราวก่อน=kob khun samrahp khraow gorn.=Tack för senast.

2. ขอบคุณสำหรับงานปาตี้=kob khun samrahp ngarn party.=Thanks for the party.

3.ผมสนุกมากสำหรับงานปาตี้=pom sanuk mahk samrahp ngarn party.=I had a lot of fun at the party.

If I give birth to any brainchildren on how to express these things even better,I'll introduce you to them later. :D

Please do keep on posting your thoughts about the Thai language because they're level-headed and very pleasant reading. :D

Cheers.

Snöleoparden.