50000$ Insurance to enter Thailand

Hello,
I am on a Marriage 1 year extension with a re-entry permit (expiring on 19 December 2021).
If I enter Thailand now (without a plane ticket to exit Thailand), do I need to have an insurance valid until 19 Dec 2021?
My friend is in the same situation, but his 1 year extension expires on May 2022. Does he need an insurance valid until May 2022?

In general, what kind of document they require to see from the insurance?
If I renew the yearly extension after the insurance is expired (and I not leave/enter Thailand again), are there any problems?

Thanks

• Like 1

Isn't it simpler for older travllers not to queue and pay 1900 and just enter as a tourist with one month insurance and then extend once here for 1900 baht for another year?

In Prague I was quoted around 30k for a years cover but they couldn't provide a binding contract in English that show Covid cover, looks like Axa Thaland will get my money unless there is a better option.

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The insurance will need to be valid to the day your re-entry permit expires.

What if you have 9 months left on a year extension - multi entry - but are only planning to stay 30-60 days ?  It would be pretty unfair to insist on 9 months insurance for a 30 days stay. And secondly how will they know in advance when getting the pass if you provide a leaving ticket  ? Are they going to be checking your insurance on arrival to see if it matches a previous passport extension stamp - has anybody put that into the pass ? . Does the pass ask to show your passport details page AND your current extension stamp - if not , how do they know. Will you be refused entry on arrival by immigration for lack of insurance even though you have insurance for 30 days and only planned to stay 30 days.

Apologies if this has been answered before

7 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

What if you have 9 months left on a year extension - multi entry - but are only planning to stay 30-60 days ?  It would be pretty unfair to insist on 9 months insurance for a 30 days stay. And secondly how will they know in advance when getting the pass if you provide a leaving ticket  ? Are they going to be checking your insurance on arrival to see if it matches a previous passport extension stamp - has anybody put that into the pass ? . Does the pass ask to show your passport details page AND your current extension stamp - if not , how do they know. Will you be refused entry on arrival by immigration for lack of insurance even though you have insurance for 30 days and only planned to stay 30 days.

Apologies if this has been answered before

I think there is a degree of flexibility.... 

My Insurance is purchased year by year (and provides the Covid-19 letter). 

Back in April I had 3 months left on my insurance cover but had 7 months remaining on my extensions of stay - No issues with the insurance (or requirement to have at least 7 months). 

But, if you have a 9 months extension of stay and present a 2 week insurance it may raise eyebrows. 

One way around this could be to apply for Thailand Pass as a Visa Exempt entry and present the 2 week insurance and return flight. Then when actually entering Thailand pass Immigration using your re-entry permit and extensions of Stay permission.

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Are they going to be checking your insurance on arrival to see if it matches a previous passport extension stamp - has anybody put that into the pass ?

Not on arrival.  To even get the COE on my last reentry, yes, they insisted that my covid policy be valid until the end of my extension of permission to stay.  I'm assuming the same will be true of the Thailand pass.