Do I need a flight leaving Thailand upon entering the country on a tourist visa that I intend to convert to a non-O visa for retirement?

I will enter Thailand on a 60-day tourist visa, which I plan to convert to a non-O visa in order to remain in Thailand more or less permanently as a retiree.  So practically speaking, I will only need a one-way flight to Thailand.  But will the Thai immigration officers still expect me to have a flight leaving Thailand since I will still be entering the country on a tourist visa?  Or would it suffice for me to just tell them my plan to convert my tourist visa to a non-O visa - as an explanation for why I don't have a flight out of the country?  Thanks.

Immigration in Thailand will not require an onward flight.

Folk with a visa or reentry permit do not require an onward flight both for obtaining boarding pass at departure and at passport control upon arrival in Thailand.

Edited by DrJack54

4 minutes ago, BangkokBaksida said:

Great!  Perfect!

I need to show a return flight for getting the visa, but I'll just book one and cancel it after I get the visa.

Thanks very much!

It's many years ago, when I first started living in Thailand. I used to fly to Saigon and obtain tourist visa. My experience then was to provide hard copy of flight INTO Thailand. On onward flight was not required. 

Perhaps my experience is out of date. I was under the impression that onward flight not required for tourist visa application.

Happily stand corrected.

Hi,

I am not sure if you will travel on the tourist visa, I got a message from the Immigration CW BKK that they are not transferring any tourist visa to other type of visa. When I got this message I asked several visa agencies and they said the same. So please if anyone knows what is 100% accurate let me and other Thailand travellers know.

4 minutes ago, Renzo75 said:

Hi,

I am not sure if you will travel on the tourist visa, I got a message from the Immigration CW BKK that they are not transferring any tourist visa to other type of visa. When I got this message I asked several visa agencies and they said the same. So please if anyone knows what is 100% accurate let me and other Thailand travellers know.

What type of visa were you planning to obtain from your tourist visa entry to Thailand? 

13 hours ago, Renzo75 said:

Hi,

That is incorrect info. They will still still issue certain non immigrant visas if you can qualify for them.

List is here: https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/issuing-and-changing-type-of-visa/

For the retirement visa, there is this requirement, among others:

8. Rental Agreement between the Applicant and the Landlord ; A copy of house registration. Location map of the house and a rental receipt Past three months.

How can someone who is in the country on a 60-day tourist visa present rental receipts for the past three months?

11 hours ago, BangkokBaksida said:

How can someone who is in the country on a 60-day tourist visa present rental receipts for the past three months?

They will not ask for that if you recently arrived in the country. They have that in there to prevent people from traveling to where they apply only to do the visa application.

• Like 1