Remembrance Day Service

WhiteHatPhil

I am posting here with some alarm, as i have just heard a rumour that the British Consul in Chiang Mai is curtailing this year's Remembrance Day Service to small number of invited guests, and that this "private" service will be held in the Foreign Cemetery in Chiang Mai, where it has always been held, and if anyone turns up wishing to pay their respects, they will be turned away.  The reason being cited is Covid, yet last year, in the height of the pandemic and before anyone was vaccinated, there was the usual (and very well supported) service.

The British Embassy in Bangkok appear to have no issues with holding a service - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/british-embassy-bangkok-remembrance-service-at-the-british-club-sunday-14th-november-2021 

I have emailed the British Consul in Chiang Mai for confirmation.

Should this turn out to be true, I will be outraged, as I suspect every veteran of any country would be.

Is anyone in Chiang Mai familiar with this story?  Can anyone shed any light on it and more to the point, what could be done if it is true?  I have no wish to disrespect the service that will undoubtedly take place, but being 'banned' from attending is outrageous.

I doubt that the Honorary British Consul has banned anything.   There may be constraints on maximum numbers allowed to gather, depending the status of Chiang Mai province Covid factors.   As an example, the commemoration in Kanchanaburi was limited to a maximum of 50 attendees due to it being a 'Dark Red' zone.   However, this changed on the 1st November to a 'Red' zone, and now up to 200 attendees will be permitted.   Check out the Royal British Legion Thailand Chonburi branch on Facebook, you'll get a lot of information there.

Yes, perhaps "banned" was a bit strong - numbers are being controlled by the government. I have heard back from the HBC and any vets not invited are to come forward and submit their names. If necessary, a 2nd service will be put on.  For those that can't attend, the 11am service will be live on Facebook.

Phetchabun military veterans and expats will be having a small service at Battle Horse Barracks, 1100hrs.

Refreshments will be offer later within the club house. 

Normally we would be attending the Kanchanaburi service at Don Rak cemetery.