How will moving and coming back affect my temporary teaching license?

Anticloud

I'll try to sum up my background as quickly and as clearly as possible.

I have been teaching under a temporary license for 2 years and just started my third year.

I recently got married and want to move to the USA with my wife. I believe it will take a year to get her a CR-1.

I am almost finished studying a computer science bachelors online. I plan to work in the US next year and eventually return to Thailand, but I don't know what visa to pursue when I come back. I think my current school would give me a visa again if I worked part time again, we always help each other out.

My question is, if my wife's CR-1 visa doesn't finish by next November and my visa runs out, do I need to get another 1-year teaching visa? Will that affect my 6 year teaching limit or are the 3rd and 4th teaching years combined?

I'm just worried if I come back to Thailand and can't get a temporary teaching license and be unable to stay long term in Thailand.

A waiver for the teaching license is valid for up to 2 years. But the problem is that the waiver is not awarded to you personally, it is connected to the school. Leaving the school thus means that your waiver ends, and you only get 3 or 4 waivers total. Even working only 3 months at a school will means that you lose 1 waiver.

regarding your visa, if married to a Thai you can just get a visa based on your marriage without any problems. There is no problem getting a work permit with that.

For an extension of stay it will depend on your situation and the rules of that moment if you should do one based on marriage or based on working. Both extensions can be done on a visa based on marriage.

• Like 1

I'll just comment on your waiver. It sounds like you are on your second and that will be toast when after two years or when you leave the school whichever comes first.

Personally, I'd actually bet against the cr1 coming through before 1.5 years and state probably, lucky something less than two. I understand it's a nightmare. Gone are days of DCF.

As for return...who knows. Plan on having one more waiver and in that time get some grad diploma with the words Education emboldened on the diploma. Here in Thailand that will take more or less two years start to finish. Usually, three waivers are easy and four if enrolled in a program.

Recommend you change your passport (##) before you return.

• Like 1