Closed Caption now in Thai on YouTube! A very big deal.

Gaccha

At least until last week, 'closed caption' subtitling was unavailable in Thai. (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

This is what is known as A VERY BIG DEAL.

It allows anyone making a video on YouTube, who switches on the option, to have a computer generate near-perfect word for word subtitles. Previously it was only available available to a small group of languages (e.g. English and Japanese).

Of course, Thai subtitlers have always been able to add their own subtitles, but they had to make them themselves. I follow several.

Infuriatingly, Thai dramas are normally only given English translation subtitles, which are not especially useful for Advanced Thai learners (the learners, as Advanced learners, will know the words just not pick up in rapid conversation. By Advanced, I mean 7,000 word+ vocabulary).

The ability to check what you're hearing is extraordinarily useful and the basic act of listening to natural dialogue repetitively and then checking against the CC is crucial to language acquisition.

We now have to wait for the big Thai channels to switch on this option. Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm not sure whether, since this thread, there have been many others created with links to Thai (audio) youtube channels with Thai subs. I will copy this post in to one other particular thread I am aware of that lists Thai shows with Thai subs. Anyway, here are three series / channels that I like. I'll put the link to the channels and / or example videos

https://www.youtube.com/@upcomment

780 videos, no less!

From the Thaipbs channel:

3. https://www.youtube.com/@backpaeger

143 videos

Two and three are of a similar ilk - travel / backpacking series, which I really love. Of course, dialogues featuring non-Thai speakers aren't in Thai, but you still have the Thai subs, throughout. Having bits of English interspersed with the Thai might irritate some, but predominantly they're in Thai. 

All in all, plenty to binge watch if these are your cup of tea!