schengen transit

hi my thai partner will have a schengen visa issued by the dutch embassy the only flights available are flights with stopover in paris

bkk-paris-ams  in one booking, if we have layover in paris am i correct that my boyfriend will go through customs in amsterdam?

and just transit in paris?

thanks guys

rick

As he intends to spend longer in the Netherlands than in France, he was right to obtain his visa from the Dutch authorities, even though is first arrival into the Schengen Area was at CDG.

If he has a long stopover in Paris, that visa would allow him entry into the country, though it would be good if he had declared his actual travel plans when applying.

Transitting airside is fine with his visa issued by the Dutch. 

36 minutes ago, Gjmax said:

When transiting in one of the schengen countries to another, you will go through immigration, then at the final destination you will go through customs.

No, you clear Immigration and customs when you enter the Schengen Area, ie not in transit, airside.

Traveling from one member state to another there are no regular immigration or customs checks, that’s the whole idea of the Schengen Area. 

17 hours ago, rickthailand said:

we need customs in ams so thats cool

I think you will go through immigration at Paris, Paris to AMS will be an EU domestic flight.

Your bags should be checked through to AMS so customs will be there following baggage reclaim.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

No, you clear Immigration and customs when you enter the Schengen Area, ie not in transit, airside.

Traveling from one member state to another there are no regular immigration or customs checks, that’s the whole idea of the Schengen Area. 

Only if you have no checked in baggage or bags not checked through.

A couple of years ago I went BKK - Doha - Paris - Manchester(don't ask).

I cleared immigration in Paris, went from one terminal to another and back again.(don't ask)

I cleared customs at Manchester, well I would have done if the bags had turned up, got left behind in Paris. Nearly midnight when we landed and another couple of hours for everyone to fill in the lost baggage and customs declarations, P'd off would be an understatement. 

Bag turned up 2 days later, lucky I was going home that time and not on holiday as 2 years ago.

19 hours ago, rickthailand said:

my thai partner will have a schengen visa issued by the dutch embassy the only flights available are flights with stopover in paris

Once he has the schengen visa it doesn't matter which country he got it from and where he's going to. He's free to travel in all schengen countries

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

If flying into a schengen country from a country which isn’t a member then you go through immigration which is what rickthailand’s partner will be doing. Then he’ll get to Ams and pick his bags up and go to customs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Only if you have no checked in baggage or bags not checked through.

A couple of years ago I went BKK - Doha - Paris - Manchester(don't ask).

I cleared immigration in Paris, went from one terminal to another and back again.(don't ask)

As the UK wasn’t part of Schengen and you had to enter the Schengen Area to retrieve your luggage, then yes, you would have needed, should have needed, to clear Immigration in Paris to retrieve your luggage and recheck them.

The same could happen to the OP if his bags are not checked through, though then he shouldn’t need to clear Immigration in Amsterdam as he’s traveling within the Schengen Area.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

I think you will go through immigration at Paris, Paris to AMS will be an EU domestic flight.

Your bags should be checked through to AMS so customs will be there following baggage reclaim.

I think you’re right, though we didn’t have to when flew to AMS via CDG.

On 11/6/2021 at 5:37 PM, theoldgit said:

As the UK wasn’t part of Schengen and you had to enter the Schengen Area to retrieve your luggage, then yes, you would have needed, should have needed, to clear Immigration in Paris to retrieve your luggage and recheck them.

I never did retrieve by bags, I said they were delivered.

I entered the EU in Paris on a Qatar flight but my bags were checked through to Manchester, being the final destination from Bangkok.

About 20 of us had been off loaded in Doha and we flew to Manchester on BMI, I could see my suitcase on the trolley out the window as we started to taxi. There were no checks on landing other than those who had to go to baggage reclaim and then complete the customs formalities.

When I fly from BKK to Manchester via LHR, we clear immigration in T5 before making our way to the A gates for domestic departures, but do not clear customs until Manchester.

Last time we went there was huge queue at immigration for foreign passports and they were calling people to the desk by boarding card for next flight.

On 11/6/2021 at 5:52 PM, theoldgit said:

I think you’re right, though we didn’t have to when flew to AMS via CDG.

With Paris, it may well depend on which terminal you land at, if it is possible to stay airside then you may not need to clear immigration.

When I did it we were told in Doha that we would be flying to MAN with BA so we had to make our way from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1.

BA didn't know anything and when they checked with Qatar turned out we were going with BMI from Terminal 2. We couldn't get back in time so the flight was delayed, we were checking in as we boarded, hence the baggage problem.