Main highway 1 into Chiang Rai roadworks

thoengthaied

I shall be travelling by car from Petchabun to CR centre on or around Friday 12th. Nov. I see on my directions on Maps that there seem to be major road works from about 12 km out, starting near Wat Rong Khun and into the city. What is the condition of the road, and should I avoid this part of the journey and find a work around? I have a new car and don't want it to get muddied up or get it damaged by stone chips or rocks thrown up by heavy lorries. If it's advisable to do a detour would anyone have any suggestions? My destination will be to a hotel near the clock tower/ soi Jetyod. Thank you, thoengthaied.

1 hour ago, siriweith said:

The road work are just for a few km may be 2 or 3 km.

if you need to avoid follow before wat rong kun the direction of Chiang Mai at the left and after 5 or 6 km keep the righ.

This is the old street connect Chiang rai to Chiang Mai 

Thank you. I have been to the White Temple before but a long time ago. Do I turn left off highway 1 to the White Temple and past it, or turn left before that?

2 hours ago, thoengthaied said:

Thank you, ripstanley.

There has been a lot of roadwork's going on around that area, no issues except for slow movement.

You are still driving on black top but being reduced to two lanes.

You can turn left at the white temple and then turn right. You will pass under the 131 flyover by pass road and then head through Den Ha and then its almost straight all the way to the clock tower.

12 minutes ago, thoengthaied said:

Thank you. I have been to the White Temple before but a long time ago. Do I turn left off highway 1 to the White Temple and past it, or turn left before that?

Turn left just as you pass the white temple, keep going till you reach a T junction and then turn right and keep straight.

From Highway 1 

Turn Left #1208

Turn Right #1211

Edited by Isan Farang

1 hour ago, thoengthaied said:

Brilliant! Thank you Isan Farang. So, the White Temple is on highway 1?

edit...Ah! OK. I was getting lazy. I have just looked at Maps and see that it is on the 1208. 

Yes correct, as previously mentioned you can also turn left at the sign for Chiang Mai 118 that is before the White Temple and keep right and head for the the 1211

Edited by Isan Farang