Can I call myself a World Champion - twice?

ChrisKC

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

I have a few beers and thoroughly research the inside of my eyelids.????

Doing that at the moment......hotel has a free bar 1800 to 2000 every night.......only three days in and starting to struggle....got another 27 nights to go!!!

• Haha 2

Thank you for your comments.

As a matter of interest, I did no research - every time I inadvertently said an idiom in everyday speech, I wrote it down wherever I was. In the end, I had notes in my PC, phone and tablet and in three notebooks. I cannot possibly recall them at will! Since 1st November, I already have another 50 idioms that I haven't checked yet. There maybe only one or two not already in the database. It is getting more difficult to find "new" ones as the database keeps being added to.

My definition of a true idiom, is when two or more words in a phrase, when translated separately, have nothing to do with the idiomatic meaning. Example: A "sleeping policeman" The idiomatic meaning is that it is a ramp across a road that is designed to slow you down; nothing to do with "sleeping" or "policeman" (when the words are translated separately).

I once asked a Thai professor of English what she would do if she came across a sleeping policeman, she said, "First of all I would take his gun". And what's more I told her in advance it was an idiom!

Edited by ChrisKC
  • Like 2