Rooster’s daughter update: Happy news but let’s all enhance Thailand’s  safety with positive engagement

rooster59

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

I would very much like what happened to be a catalyst for enhanced pool safety and other safety issues in Thailand and today

They dont and wont learn, nothing will  change, others  will  drown, life is  cheap...welcome to Thailand the land of  happy smiling  Thais

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Fantastic outcome, and it's highlighted a problem I hadn't realised existed. My daughter has lessons in a pool where she is required to wear a hat, however, when the lesson is finished the kids all move into another pool for some fun, and the hats often come off. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

They dont and wont learn, nothing will  change, others  will  drown, life is  cheap...welcome to Thailand the land of  happy smiling  Thais

True that. Sadly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was once witness to a similar near drowning in a pool at a golf course on Phuket, where there was often a whole group of small children playing with each other. Water depth there was less than a meter, all the children were taller than this.

One of them slipped, maybe it hit its head; it was under water for quite some time with the other children playing on right around it. Therefore it was pure good luck that somebody saw the boy under the water, jumped in and hauled him out. A minute longer in this state and the difference in outcome would have been quite horrifying; even so he needed to be treated in hospital.

I also watched those children play at this time, albeit cursorely as none of them were mine then, but did not notice anything amiss at all. Since this moment I have always watched my own kids like a hawk whenever near water, even if they can stand up in it easily by themselves.

Glad to hear your daughter is out of danger, I was at the funeral of a 6 year old girl last week my son who is also 6 would play with her couple of times a week, the girl went to a local pond with her 9 year old brother neither could swim seems she was standing in shallow water near the edge and water from the klong was diverted into the pond and she was swept away her brother ran to get help but it was to late, mother and father in bangkok working and they were staying with grandma ,absolutely tragic .

• Sad 1