Reclaiming A Poisoned Fish Pond

Today we had about 2 tonne of Pla Nin suddenly die in one well, the identical well adjoining is ok.

I put it down initially to oxygen levels,a sudden depletion of oxygen was the only thing I could think of for such a sudden occurrance.

T/W had the Agricultural Dept Rep,the village boss and the police here in a flash and they all said the pond has been poisoned, they said they had seen it all before,the water had turned a dirty reddish brown from green as it was at 22.00 last night when I put the floodlights on because the local dogs were going ape.which the T/W said is an indication that something was going on in the village.

I am loath to believe people would do such things and without a lab report how are you to know.

We had 1/2 the village removing dead fish all day which we buried in a pit we had dug.

I pumped the water level down about a foot then refilled with water direct from the river ,I then put 20 1/2 kg fish from another well into it and within 2 hours they were all dead,so it looks like they may well have been right about the poison. Now my problem is how the hel_l do I treat the pond to cleanse it.

Anybody with experience have any clues.

Today we had about 2 tonne of Pla Nin suddenly die in one well, the identical well adjoining is ok.

I put it down initially to oxygen levels,a sudden depletion of oxygen was the only thing I could think of for such a sudden occurrance.

T/W had the Agricultural Dept Rep,the village boss and the police here in a flash and they all said the pond has been poisoned, they said they had seen it all before,the water had turned a dirty reddish brown from green as it was at 22.00 last night when I put the floodlights on because the local dogs were going ape.which the T/W said is an indication that something was going on in the village.

I am loath to believe people would do such things and without a lab report how are you to know.

We had 1/2 the village removing dead fish all day which we buried in a pit we had dug.

I pumped the water level down about a foot then refilled with water direct from the river ,I then put 20 1/2 kg fish from another well into it and within 2 hours they were all dead,so it looks like they may well have been right about the poison. Now my problem is how the hel_l do I treat the pond to cleanse it.

If this was an intentional poising then MF's comment may be to soft. It is hard to believe people can stoop so low. Can the DoA do any lab test for you on the fish/water to try and help figure out what killed the fish? Have you been spraying any insecticides or fertilizers lately that may have drained to the pond with all the recent rains?

I've Googled around but cannot find any sites that specifically statre how to clean up the pond. One site mentioned flush fill flush, another suggested drying the pond for 2 weeks, and another suggested using potassium permanganate but no strength suggested.

Here's one site that lists the steps to go through for identification but may be of little help here.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/VM/VM11200.pdf

This really sucks regardless of how it happened. Hope you can figure it out. Let us know what happens.

rgds

If this was an intentional poising then MF's comment may be to soft. It is hard to believe people can stoop so low. Can the DoA do any lab test for you on the fish/water to try and help figure out what killed the fish? Have you been spraying any insecticides or fertilizers lately that may have drained to the pond with all the recent rains?

No, I dont use herbicide near the ponds , it was probably herbicide because of the water colour change and a big dose at that.

even the algae ,snails and river shrimp are dead.

I have samples of water to take Udon when I can get away from here, I will pump it down as far as I can and dig a drain hole to pump from,hopefully the rains will wash it into that and I will just keep pumping regularly through the wet season.

I read your post last night and was at a complete loss as to what to say. This morning, I still don't know what to say. It's just hard for me to imagine how anyone could stoop so low or be hateful enough to cause that kind of damage. Whatever was put in the pond was obviously very toxic and could possibly damage much more than your pond. Surely the police and ag officials can determine what was used.

For the time being, it would appear that about all you can do is to keep the pond pumped as dry as possible and to hope the sun and air will break down the toxin. After it is determined what was used, soil samples should then indicate when it will be safe to start over.

Unbelievable!

No, I dont use herbicide near the ponds , it was probably herbicide because of the water colour change and a big dose at that.

even the algae ,snails and river shrimp are dead.

I have samples of water to take Udon when I can get away from here, I will pump it down as far as I can and dig a drain hole to pump from,hopefully the rains will wash it into that and I will just keep pumping regularly through the wet season.

Keep in mind that some chemicals will break down and leave little trace so the faster you can get a sample to a lab the better. You also might try freezing a sample. This action could also destroy the evidence but if you have two samples stored in different forms (liquid and ice) chances are better that the toxin will be preserved. I would also take a few fish to have them analyzed.

There is no way to recommend a course of action without knowing what was used. Some chemicals will break down from just sunlight, others may permeate the soil and continue to make any water added to your pond toxic. It could also be as bad as something that could contaminate the ground water. I would guess it wasn't something that drastic but you won't know unless you get things analyzed. What concerns me most is that you are pumping out what is obviously toxic and possibly spreading an unknown contamination. If it is found to be something seriously damaging I would bet that the authorities would be more helpful in tracking down the perpetrator. It could be that someone put something in that could affect the whole village and in that case he will be found. Someone always sees something.

Hi Ozzy.

Poisoning is a serius thing, it does happen but it might not be the case here, I have a few questions, and I hope that you dont mind.

1. The size of the pond, and the stocking density ?

2. Did you use any form for areation ?

3. Did the fish feed on algae or commercial pellets ?

4. If algae, what did you use to fetelize the pond ?

5. What was the size of the fish when it happend ?

6. Did you ever do any form for water-change ?

The problem you have might be the effect from dead algae, I had that happen to me once.

Tilapia.

DDT - has a history of been used this way.

If so, you'll have to drain all the water out let dry , then scrape the bottom.

.... again, the imortance of a good quality test kit - you can deduce a lot (all be it post fact).

MF

Hate to add to the misery but where are you discharging all this highly poisonous water?

Into the local drinking water resevoir of course,where else do you put poisoned water.

That is a stupid and impertinent question as we have come to expect from you chownah and I wont qualify it with a sensible answer.

Hi Ozzy.

Poisoning is a serius thing, it does happen but it might not be the case here, I have a few questions, and I hope that you dont mind.

The problem you have might be the effect from dead algae, I had that happen to me once.

Tilapia.

Hi Tilapia,your answers in order,

1. 1700sq met with 4000 x400-450 gr fish, it is on of two identical ponds, the other pond is ok.

2.No, only aerate if we have a few overcast days.

3. I use green water method with P being maintained with superphosphate (none added for 2 weeks). Fed twice a day on pellets and ram.

4. see above

5. see above

6. top up direct from Klong but because of adequate rain havnt had to lately.

I replaced about 30% of water yesterday and aerated then added some fish from the pond adjoining,they were dead in 2 hours.

Cheers

Dom

Tilapia.

i agree with tilapia. check out nitrite levels first. a sudden die-off of algae will reduce oxygen levels drastically, too. high prosphate levels can cause a bloom of poisonous blue-green algae. i had similar problems with pladouk pond- tore my hair out trying to find the cause, and assumed the pond had been poisoned. solved the problem by filtering the water through a simple biofilter. actually it is highly unlikely the local thais would have poisoned your pond. they just do not seem to mind competition-in fact they do not seem to understand the concept.

if it was poison, and i hate to think it, then many fishfarmers will be at risk-check out some of tilapia's earlier posts about a certain big supplier who is trying to control the pla-nin market. hope i am wrong............

regards

frikkie

Hate to add to the misery but where are you discharging all this highly poisonous water?

Into the local drinking water resevoir of course,where else do you put poisoned water.

That is a stupid and impertinent question as we have come to expect from you chownah and I wont qualify it with a sensible answer.

I don't think the question is impertinent or stupid. Truth is if I had a pond full of highly poisonous water I don't know what I would do with it.

What are you supposed to do with a pond full of toxic water?

I think this is a very important question and frankly I don't know of a good answer and since you think the question is a stupid one then I guess you have an obvious answer to it...so obvious that you think the question is a stupid one...so humor me...what is it?....what is the obvious answer of what to do with a pond full of toxic water?....pump it into the stream?...into another pond?...into the ground?.....where?

Chownah

Hi Ozzy.

After the info from you, then I dont think that it is poisoning, I have some test and documents, and I will send you a PM.

Your stocking density for a open pond without regular areation is a little high, you mentioned a lot of rain as well in the last time, so you dident do any water-change. The heavy rain-fall will make a change in your pH value and if the DO level is below 3 and you have dead algae as well, then your fish will die, I am almost 100% sure that it is not poisoning there is the reason for the death of the fish.

If you use green water + commercial pellets at the same time, the fish will most likely eat the pellets first, before they start on the algae, this might have cost a over-production of algae, they will consume all the oxygen at night time, and they will adventually die, if not removed, they will course major problems in your pond.

Tilapia

Tilapia,I did a water test on Sunday morning,the readings were===

O2===6.0 mg/l

PH===7.0

NH4/NH3==0.006mg/l

Water color using a Sechii disc has been good so havnt added Superphosphate for a few weeks and have had no sign of algae bloom since I stopped using cow manure some time back.

The fish were ok at 22.00 the evening they died as I had the floodlights on.

The identical pond with identical stocking rate a bung wall away show no signs of distress.

Water sample taken by the Ag dept show water within normal tolerances ,sample has been sent to a University near Bangkok for toxicoligy test.

I would dearly love the incident to be as you say , that I can put down to experience and deal with it, but if a long standing and ongoing family fued has culminated in poisoning the pond then its pretty senseless trying to carry on.

The fued is why the village boss and the Police jumped to the conclusion of foul play rather than scientific proof.

I hope they are wrong and you are right.

Cheers Dom

Tilapia,I did a water test on Sunday morning,the readings were===

O2===6.0 mg/l

PH===7.0

NH4/NH3==0.006mg/l

Water color using a Sechii disc has been good so havnt added Superphosphate for a few weeks and have had no sign of algae bloom since I stopped using cow manure some time back.

The fish were ok at 22.00 the evening they died as I had the floodlights on.

The identical pond with identical stocking rate a bung wall away show no signs of distress.

Water sample taken by the Ag dept show water within normal tolerances ,sample has been sent to a University near Bangkok for toxicoligy test.

I would dearly love the incident to be as you say , that I can put down to experience and deal with it, but if a long standing and ongoing family fued has culminated in poisoning the pond then its pretty senseless trying to carry on.

The fued is why the village boss and the Police jumped to the conclusion of foul play rather than scientific proof.

I hope they are wrong and you are right.

Cheers Dom

Ok, I wasent aware of internal problems, that could very well be a reason for poisoning, I hope you get the problems cleared, I know how bad family dispute can be. All the best from me.

Tilapia

I want to be sure I understand your reply so to be sure I understand the meaning of "impertinent" I looked it up and came up with these definitions:

1. characterized by a lightly pert and exuberant quality; "a certain irreverent gaiety and ease of manner"

2. extraneous: not pertinent to the matter under consideration; "an issue extraneous to the debate"; "the price was immaterial"; "mentioned several impertinent facts before finally coming to the point"

3. fresh: improperly forward or bold; "don't be fresh with me"; "impertinent of a child to lecture a grownup"; "an impudent boy given to insulting strangers"; "Don't get wise with me!"

all are from:

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Which of these are you trying to apply to my post?

Also, was Tim207 being "impertenent" and stupid too when he posted:

"What concerns me most is that you are pumping out what is obviously toxic and possibly spreading an unknown contamination."

A pond full of toxic water is a serious problem and what is done with it is just as serious and not something that should be swept under the rug by insulting replies.

Chownah

Chownah, the guy just lost 2000kg of fish, due to what is yet to be determent, I dont think that getting ridt of the poluted water is on top of his agenda, so please give the man a break, so he can find out what caused this situation.

If you are very concernd about poluted water, then what do you think happend with the water in Ang-Thong 3 month ago when several 100.000 fish died ??? Spot on...Nothing.

Tilapia

Chownah, the guy just lost 2000kg of fish, due to what is yet to be determent, I dont think that getting ridt of the poluted water is on top of his agenda, so please give the man a break, so he can find out what caused this situation.

If you are very concernd about poluted water, then what do you think happend with the water in Ang-Thong 3 month ago when several 100.000 fish died ??? Spot on...Nothing.

I think Chownah's point is that 2000kg dead fish can easily turn into 100000kg dead fish if the water is just dumped in the nearest river or canal. I feel sorry for him too, but why spread the misery to others if it can be avoided?

Tilapia

I think he has already gotten rid of the bulk of the toxic water. If he had followed some failsafe procedure I'm sure he would have told us but instead he only replied with insults....not a good sign.......of course I could be wrong.

Hi Ozzydom

Sorry to hear about your problem, But a suggestion from someone who knows zip all about ponds and fish, so excuse me if you think my suggestion is naive :D

What about putting lime in the remaining water, surely this would neutralise it?

Readily available and costs next to nothing so not a lot to loose. I am sure other posters will let me know :o if my suggestion is stoopid! but I did say I know zip all about ponds etc.

Take care with those neighbours :D

TBWG :D

What about putting lime in the remaining water, surely this would neutralise it?

Readily available and costs next to nothing so not a lot to loose. I am sure other posters will let me know :o if my suggestion is stoopid! but I did say I know zip all about ponds etc.

Another idea worth trying would be a carbon filter. There are separate threads on this forum that describes how to build a slow sand filter from cement rings and pvc pipe. A similar filter, but filled with activated carbon instead of sand it could be used to absorb [organic] pollutants just by circulating the water through it for some time. Activated carbon is also available from local manufacturers at low cost.

Here's one supplier that I have bought activated carbon granules from in the past: http://www.thaiexport.com/Profile.asp?id=1160 - but if you google for "activated carbon" and thailand you'll find others too.

Tilapia

I think he has already gotten rid of the bulk of the toxic water. If he had followed some failsafe procedure I'm sure he would have told us but instead he only replied with insults....not a good sign.......of course I could be wrong.

And there-in is why I would not answer your initial post,you have the habit of asking inocuous questions in hope of gleaning an answer that you can Google up arguments.

Now you are insinuating that best agricultural practices were not followed , that is insulting to me ,the village bosses,the Agricultural Dept and all cocerned. An apt description of you and your methods would get me banned so I will content myself by utilising the Ignore facility of TV.

For the rest of you worry warts the suspect water has been retained on our own rice paddies which were not going to be used this season anyway,lime as a neutraliser is on site.

I come from one of the cleanest,greenest ,environmentally consious communities on Earth .where we practised environmentally friendly ideals while you were still sniffing pollutants in your big cities and before you even Googled the word.

As if anybody is going to pump suspect water into the very river that I have to use to top up and refill my fish ponds,kindly put your brain into gear before your index finger.

When you have steamed for hours through hundeds of thousands of ton,s of fish killed by toxic blooms or risked your neck cutting discarded nets and fishing lines from a distraught whale then try talking environment to me.

To those who offered sensible ideas and support ,many thanks to you.

Cheers

Oz

Tilapia

As if anybody is going to pump suspect water into the very river that I have to use to top up and refill my fish ponds,kindly put your brain into gear before your index finger.

When you have steamed for hours through hundeds of thousands of ton,s of fish killed by toxic blooms or risked your neck cutting discarded nets and fishing lines from a distraught whale then try talking environment to me.

Cheers

Oz

Oz, have followed your story with interest. Couldn't agree more with your sensible approach and scolding of those who deserve it. It's also laudible that you didn't start this thread as a ranting diabtribe against Thais for their treachery, as some might have. Hats off to you and good luck. Let us know the final determination if the police determine who did it.

Tilapia

And there-in is why I would not answer your initial post,you have the habit of asking inocuous questions in hope of gleaning an answer that you can Google up arguments.

Now you are insinuating that best agricultural practices were not followed , that is insulting to me ,the village bosses,the Agricultural Dept and all cocerned. An apt description of you and your methods would get me banned so I will content myself by utilising the Ignore facility of TV.

For the rest of you worry warts the suspect water has been retained on our own rice paddies which were not going to be used this season anyway,lime as a neutraliser is on site.

I come from one of the cleanest,greenest ,environmentally consious communities on Earth .where we practised environmentally friendly ideals while you were still sniffing pollutants in your big cities and before you even Googled the word.

Cheers

Oz

Since the environment is such a crucial issue for you it boggles the mind why you didn't post what you did with the toxic water when you removed it from your pond initially....and then knee jerk reply with nothing but insults when a pertinent question was politely asked. I would think that someone who appreciates the importance of a clean environment would have welcomed the chance to explain the right thing to do. Fast on insults....slow on facts.....what does this mean.

Edited by chownah

I suppose I am one of those you consider "worry warts". You will have to forgive me but the nature of this forum is that we don't know eachother's detailed pasts nor how a situation such as yours might be handled. I had no intent to be critical of how you might have handled the pond water, especially since I have no idea what I would do in your position. My only intent was that you, someone for whom I have little background information, carefully consider what to do with the pond water. When something like this happens, many people will jump to tackle a problem without carefully considering what they are doing and I think your worrying about fixing your pond without knowing what was wrong with it first suggests that you may have not been thinking things through clearly when you posted.

I have talked to two fish farmers here and both think it is most likely that this was an intentional poisoning from the information you supplied and that is without the added info of personal disputes with neighbors.

Good luck in tracking down the culprits. Anyone who would do such a thing needs to be punished or they will just do it again.

edit...As if anybody is going to pump suspect water into the very river that I have to use to top up and refill my fish ponds,kindly put your brain into gear before your index finger.

...edit

Cheers

Oz

Memoirs of a rice farmer:

I sat down at my computer and was about to Google when I decided to light a cig, give my index finger a rest, and do some thinking.

It wasn't long before it came to me. "How did he know the fish were dead? What scientific data did he collect to determine, in fact, that the fish were DEAD? He didn't tell us what tests were done, and he didn't provide a link or website verifying the tests are accurate and accepted by the scientific community. Maybe the fish weren't dead. Maybe he just thought they were dead. I just don't know."

Ah yes, in his opening post he said, "The spot lights were on at 22:00 and the moo baan dogs were barking all night". "Yes, that's it. The fish weren't dead. They were tired from being up all night with the lights on and dogs barking. They were just sleeping in the next morning. He doesn't have any proof they were dead, no link posted. I just don't know."

"Wow, that was Wan Pa. Maybe all the fish weren't dead. They were just meditating. I heard the suwat of the monks that day and maybe the fish did too. I just don't know."

"Wish I could have been there. I just don't know. I just don't know. I just don't know."

"Danm, the cigs at it's end and my index finger got burned. Better just go to bed and maybe ask him for a link in the morning how he knew the fish were dead. I don't think they were dead because there wasn't any proof."

"I just don't know. I just don't know. I just don't know."

Goodnight and regards from the paddy fields,

Hope all the testing is moving along Dom and the results can explain what happened.

edit...As if anybody is going to pump suspect water into the very river that I have to use to top up and refill my fish ponds,kindly put your brain into gear before your index finger.

...edit

Cheers

Oz

Memoirs of a rice farmer:

I sat down at my computer and was about to Google when I decided to light a cig, give my index finger a rest, and do some thinking.

It wasn't long before it came to me. "How did he know the fish were dead? What scientific data did he collect to determine, in fact, that the fish were DEAD? He didn't tell us what tests were done, and he didn't provide a link or website verifying the tests are accurate and accepted by the scientific community. Maybe the fish weren't dead. Maybe he just thought they were dead. I just don't know."

Ah yes, in his opening post he said, "The spot lights were on at 22:00 and the moo baan dogs were barking all night". "Yes, that's it. The fish weren't dead. They were tired from being up all night with the lights on and dogs barking. They were just sleeping in the next morning. He doesn't have any proof they were dead, no link posted. I just don't know."

"Wow, that was Wan Pa. Maybe all the fish weren't dead. They were just meditating. I heard the suwat of the monks that day and maybe the fish did too. I just don't know."

"Wish I could have been there. I just don't know. I just don't know. I just don't know."

"Danm, the cigs at it's end and my index finger got burned. Better just go to bed and maybe ask him for a link in the morning how he knew the fish were dead. I don't think they were dead because there wasn't any proof."

"I just don't know. I just don't know. I just don't know."

Goodnight and regards from the paddy fields,

Hope all the testing is moving along Dom and the results can explain what happened.

Somtham, There are only two things smell like dead fish,and I can assure you this was aquatic, one consolation of this saga is that the trees we plant over the burial pits will be forest giants in no time. :o