Kreng Chai

tatom

Andrew Biggs said he would give the English translation for kreng chai on his tv show, but I must have missed it. I know what kreng chai is, but I cant imagine what word one would use to translate. Anyone know?

Andrew Biggs said he would give the English translation for kreng chai on his tv show, but I must have missed it. I know what kreng chai is, but I cant imagine what word one would use to translate. Anyone know?

How about kreng chai=deference? :o

Cheers. :D

Snowleopard.

Thanks snowleopard, Now all I have to do is, get my dictionary and see what "deference" means!

Definition of deference is...

Function: noun

: respect and esteem due a superior or an elder; also : affected or ingratiating regard for another's wishes :o

Snowleopard.

Thanks snowleopard, Now all I have to do is, get my dictionary and see what "deference" means!

Definition of deference is...

Function: noun

: respect and esteem due a superior or an elder; also : affected or ingratiating regard for another's wishes :o

Snowleopard.

Excellent interpretation of the term. Thai's have problems trying to explain it in English.

Heck, kreng jai can mean many things, from showing deference and respect to kissing arse. You can be in a situation with elders where you should sadeng kreng jai or you can be in a situation where you are told by your wife in the presence of some sniveling bureaucrat "tong kreng jai" or else suffer the wife's wrath. The trick is not simply using the word correctly, the trick is keeping a straight face when you would rather tell someone to bugger off.