Malaysians in Singapore are overjoyed by the news of VTL, but they are waiting for further information

252258400_maxmain.jpg.a9501b2104ba56f6341e9af833ff2a4f.jpg

Madam Farrah Diyana has missed significant occasions with her family over the last year and a half, including her children's birthdays and the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

She still sees her two sons, who are seven and nine years old, every day, but it is through the screen of her phone rather than in person.

The 33-year-old business development professional was among the many Malaysians who rushed to enter Singapore before Malaysia's movement control order took effect in March of last year.
The border shutdown, which was only intended to last two weeks, was repeatedly prolonged, and she has been stuck in Singapore since, separated from her family in Johor.

However, a new vaccinated travel lane (VTL) between Singapore and Malaysia, which will open on November 29, may be the key to her reuniting with her family.

The 33-year-old business development professional was among the many Malaysians who rushed to enter Singapore before Malaysia's movement control order took effect in March of last year.
The border shutdown, which was only intended to last two weeks, was repeatedly prolonged, and she has been stuck in Singapore since, separated from her family in Johor.

However, a new vaccinated travel lane (VTL) between Singapore and Malaysia, which will open on November 29, may be the key to her reuniting with her family.

The VTL will begin with six daily authorised flights between Changi Airport and Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), as announced on Monday (November 8).

It means that fully vaccinated travellers will be permitted to travel between Singapore and Malaysia and will be subjected to COVID-19 tests rather than being subjected to quarantine or a stay-away notice.

Mdm Diyana told CNA that she was overjoyed when she learned the news.

"I had planned to return to Johor in March 2022, but with the VTL, I'm going to return sooner, perhaps in the first week of December," she explained.

The 33-year-old, whose family lives in Johor, will, however, have a long journey home.

She'll have to fly from Singapore to KL, then take a three-hour bus ride to Johor Bahru.
She claimed that was all for a week with her family.

"I haven't seen them in a long time," she explained, "so even if it's only for a week, I'll go."

"When I come back, the first thing I'm going to do is visit my kids."
They're growing up so quickly, and I've already missed out on so many, so I'm looking forward to seeing them," she added, adding that she and her family are intending to migrate to Singapore next year.

Mr Max Leong, who plans to return to Malaysia soon to prepare for his wedding in January, will benefit from the VTL because he will be able to spend more time with his family in the nation.

"It's been a year since I've seen my fiancee."
"We were meant to get married last year, but we had to postpone it due of COVID-19," the 34-year-old explained.

"Now we can finally take the next step and register our marriage and get married," said the couple.
I'm hoping to remain a little longer in Malaysia so that I may spend Chinese New Year with my family, something I wasn't able to do this year."