LPG Problem

stubuzz

9 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Well my wife sold her LPG car a couple of months ago and that problem never came up

My wife was told by somebody today, but i expect it is a misunderstanding and the transfer was rejected  because the gas tank is over 10 years old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LPG fitted cars needs annual inspection of the system and the tank needs special inspection/engineer's report every 10 years which is the expiry date or the expected life of the tank. It could be cheaper to get a new tank fitted or cheapest to remove the tank and no longer use LPG 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, digbeth said:

It could be cheaper to get a new tank fitted or cheapest to remove the tank and no longer use LPG 

Our town car cost per km is half of running the required 95 octane

So not cheapest at all

• Like 2

7 hours ago, seedy said:

Our town car cost per km is half of running the required 95 octane

So not cheapest at all

I mean to get the registration renewed and road tax paid, between getting a new tank and removing it, removing the tank definitely the cheapest option

• Like 1

A couple of years ago I bought a used car in Bangkok and it had LPG installed. but the car dealer told me that they had to take away the LPG system before they could deliver the car. When I asked why, I was given the explanation that it was because I lived in another province then where the cars LPG-system where registered.

• Confused 1

No idea on this one.  But perhaps if it was originally sold as a benzene engine and later modified to LPG.

My Brother-in-law had a truck that was dual benzene and LPG.  He bought it like that and sold it like that with no problem.

Edited by rwill

I used to have a truck that ran on Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) and it had to be inspected and certified every couple of years or we couldn't register it and even at the CNG stations if the sticker wasn't current they couldn't fill the tank.

We sold it and there was no talk of removing the system, that makes no sense. 

More info on this LPG thread;

1 hour ago, rwill said:

No idea on this one.  But perhaps if it was originally sold as a benzene engine and later modified to LPG.

LPG aftermarket installations must be entered in the Blue Book, and certified.

If selling a car with no book entry, that may cause a problem on inspection. Which would be solved by tank removal and hiding the lines.

On 11/11/2021 at 9:16 PM, stubuzz said:

because the gas tank is over 10 years old.

10 year is acceptable after 10 year the tank has to be replaced with a new one. 
the best is to renew the whole system, not only the tank. 
An authorized inspection is required by DLT after replacing the system.

Edited by The Theory

This could possibly be something similar to the " Bed cover " Tax on Pick up Trucks.

There is a different rete of Tax on whichever type of Bed Cover your pick up Truck has been registered with.

Ie No cover = a low or non existent Tax, whereas a cover similar to a carry Boy invokes a different Tax to be paid on the Yearly vehicle Tax renewal.

Insane

5 hours ago, seedy said:

operate correctly ?

It is up to you to keep the rest of the old ones. We found a small crack in one of injectors and decided to replace the whole thing (firmware update was not available either). 
These equipments are not factory genuine and have limited safe life time. 10 years would be enough, not only for the tank, but also hoses and injectors. 

Edited by The Theory

On 11/13/2021 at 8:24 AM, PFMills said:

And you believed that … dealer had probably already allocated that system somewhere else.

No, they took it away and put it in the Luggage space for me to do what I want to do with it, Ilater sold it.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 1:04 PM, Cake Monster said:

This could possibly be something similar to the " Bed cover " Tax on Pick up Trucks.

There is a different rete of Tax on whichever type of Bed Cover your pick up Truck has been registered with.

Ie No cover = a low or non existent Tax, whereas a cover similar to a carry Boy invokes a different Tax to be paid on the Yearly vehicle Tax renewal.

Insane

the only way having a canopy (carry boy) over the bed would affect the yearly tax is that if you'd gone and register the truck as a passenger van ie: vehicle with more than 7 seats, (typically 11) and you'd be issued with a blue on white background number plate, which is the cheapest to tax, if you were then remove the canopy and seats and were caught around driving without, then you'd be liable for a hefty fine and back taxes

another class is cargo van or truck, which would get green on white background plate, and doesn't apply to pickup truck with 4 doors which already attract the highest tax rate same as passenger car. 

it used to be that you could 'borrow' a carry boy canopy to go register your pickup as 11 seater van to get the cheapest tax, then never have it on again until inspection is required, but with the color-coding number plate, eagle eyed police men would find you easy prey 

so no, not insane at all