Length, banks for cash requirements new retirement extension over 50 years?

How are cashbookbank  requirements for new extension based on retirement age 50 exactly December 2, he is now on non O married .

My friend is 50 next month, planning divorce Englsih worse than mein.
CAn he apply on 50th birthday or soon after?

Can he get reirement extension with 800k in bank

Does it have to be a Thai Bank in Thailand or can he use

Bangkok Bank New York $ account with enough to cover 800k even if baht reached 40 to US greenback $20 ,ooo would be enough?

Or $20,000 in US $ account at Citibank office at Asoke Bangkok?

or must it be like me a local Account in bahts at KTMB,asikorn etc?

I read that after application needs to stay some months no problem .Can he do self or need agents?

How long before the application please?

Can get transfer to a new single Thai account and apply next day or is 2 months wait after 50 years old like my married visas?

Should he delay divorce until new visa issued?

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Should he delay divorce until new visa issued?

If wife is cooperative he could wait until his current extension based on marriage is up for renewal and switch to extension based on retirement.

Some of the banking questions best advice is to keep it simple. 

What's his current situation.

He would already have a Thai bank account. 

• Like 1

He cannot change to retirement without a valid reason to cancel his current extension. Proof that the divorce was in process would be accepted. Or he could wait until the the day the divorce is final.

He would need 800k baht in a Thai bank in his name only for 2 months on the day he applies for the extension.

Having the equivalent of at least 800k baht in a foreign currency account at a bank registered in Thailand on the day he applies would be accepted at most immigration offices.

It is not possible to have account at the Bangkok Bank branch in New York.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Does it have to be a Thai Bank in Thailand or can he use

Bangkok Bank New York $ account

You have to have your money in a Thai Bank here in Thailand. Plus the Bangkok Bank you mentioned in New York, is not a regular bank where you can have a checking or savings account with.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He cannot change to retirement without a valid reason to cancel his current extension. Proof that the divorce was in process would be accepted. Or he could wait until the the day the divorce is final.

He would need 800k baht in a Thai bank in his name only for 2 months on the day he applies for the extension.

Having the equivalent of at least 800k baht in a foreign currency account at a bank registered in Thailand on the day he applies would be accepted at most immigration offices.

It is not possible to have account at the Bangkok Bank branch in New York.

So BKK bank New York out

but Citi bank Bangkok ok s registered in Thailand I think he already has Citii elswhere and refers to keep in $$ for some reasons

So post divorce needs 2 months equivalent of 800k yes?

I will call him sunday

33 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

So BKK bank New York out

but Citi bank Bangkok ok s registered in Thailand I think he already has Citii elswhere and refers to keep in $$ for some reasons

He needs to check with the office he will be doing the application at to confirm they will a accept a foreign currency account.

If not living in Bangkok it will require traveling there to get the required bank letter from CITIbank.

Maybe one day after divorce is final he would be allowed to do the extension without benign on a overstay since current extension will end on that day.

1 hour ago, RubbaJohnny said:

So BKK bank New York out

I will call him sunday

The last time I checked, Citibank only offers business accounts in Thailand.  I'm a 20 yr+ USA customer, but they said, "Sorry..."  It's been a while so check. Good luck! 

• Like 2

On 11/13/2021 at 7:33 AM, ubonjoe said:

He cannot change to retirement without a valid reason to cancel his current extension.

I wasn't aware of that, as a friend of mine did just that, 2 months before his marriage extension finished although he did use an 'agent'. I wonder what a valid reason would be ? 

17 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I wonder what a valid reason would be ? 

Thinking divorce or divorce proceedings?.

However as I mentioned in early post, if the current wife is cooperative then he could easily "see out" this current extension and prior to it's expiry attend immigration for new extension based on retirement.

In that situation (as I understand it) good idea (maybe even necessary?) to attend with wife to support reason for change to retirement.

That would give the couple time to complete divorce and when complete has zero effect on his extension based on retirement.

All depends on situation with current wife. 

Edited by DrJack54

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I wasn't aware of that, as a friend of mine did just that, 2 months before his marriage extension finished although he did use an 'agent'. I wonder what a valid reason would be ? 

If near the end of a extension based upon marriage immigration will change it to retirement but they may want approval by a persons spouse. When doing the change the new extension will start from the day the extension is applied for since they consider it a new extension.

Changing the reason when the extension is still valid for several months will require a valid reason to do it such as divorce.

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That would give the couple time to complete divorce and when complete has zero effect on his extension.

All depends on situation with current wife. 

That could be risky in the case where divorce was mentioned. Immigration could ask for the divorce decree and cancel the existing existing from the date it was final causing a person to be on a long overstay.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If near the end of extension based upon marriage immigration will change it to retirement but they may want approval a persons spouse. When doing the change the new extension will start from the day the extension is applied for since they consider it a new extension.

Changing the reason when the extension is still valid for several months will require a valid reason to do it such as divorce.

His wife abandoned him, but that reason was not given, and no reason was asked for, it was just done in case she started making waves for him.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

That could be risky in the case where divorce was mentioned. Immigration could ask for the divorce decree and cancel the existing existing from the date it was final causing a person to be on a long overstay.

I meant put the divorce off.

Delay it's commencement untill after he obtains his extension based on retirement.

The OP mentioned "planning divorce". Would be good to know when current extension ends.

If your friend is on a passport that allow visa exempt on arrival, best exit Thailand without a re-entry stamp. Hopefully he is on one of these 63 listed countries, spend 21 days or more, then do the arrival bit, that wife visa is now canceled.

Not sure how many days he will get stamped in (30) or (45), 15 or 30 days from the end go to Immigration get an extension and  before that extension is over, apply for a Non-O visa base on Retirement. From what I know it is not possible to get a retirement extension remotely, and immigration want that money in a Thai Bank, one way or the other.

Yes, he has to do the PCT test, flight, one day hotel (hopefully), insurance, and all that bit, the best ways to avoid a toxic ex. 

To get the retirement Non-O immigration will not have to speak to wife.

Dependent on the type of divorce Court / Ampur, in a Thai Court a date takes months so no problem there to leave, pack his <deleted> up in storage and leave. At an Ampur, kiss, shake hands, pack your <deleted> up in storage, get that divorce translated and attested and leave.

Live to fight another day. The time away from the LOS would so a world of good for him. Sees things in a different prospective.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, node said:

Live to fight another day. The time away from the LOS would so a world of good for him. Sees things in a different prospective.

What you outline would work but certainly a last resort option.

The OP hasn't given much information.

When his current extension expires.

Is he on reasonable terms with current wife.

OP only states "planning divorce"

Couple of simple options available that certainly do not involve exit Thailand. 

These threads posted for "a friend of mine....." Always like extracting teeth.