Have you ever used this product (termite) ?

The Theory

We have a builder (small team) who suggested this product to us. He says it will work for some years and keeps termites away if we add it to the soil under our house. Well I bought it today and paid ฿850 for that. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or information about this ?

3FAE8292-77E2-4460-A9B1-6EB806226F88.jpeg

Edited by The Theory

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

If it's chlorpyrifos, stay the hell away from it. It most likely is if it's an under slab treatment.

I'm quite certain that it's carbosulfan/carbamate, because that's what is written on the bag.

Edited by jackdd

26 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

If it's chlorpyrifos, stay the hell away from it. It most likely is if it's an under slab treatment.

Our house is on 1m raised footing. We did this just for not having any future termite problems in space under the house. 

we bought this from an agriculture products shop near us. ????

3 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Our house is on 1m raised footing. We did this just for not having any future termite problems in space under the house. 

Either product is highly dangerous. Chlorpyrifos is approved in my state in Australia only for under slab treatment. One of my friends used top spray a different formula of the stuff on mango trees. Snakes would fall out of the trees. The other stuff appears to be even more dangerous. Certainly, for exposed ground under a house you are asking for trouble. Are the house stumps wood or concrete? How high are they?

15 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The university of Hertfordshire seems to suggest that it’s in current use http://sitem.herts.ac.uk/aeru/ppdb/en/Reports/121.htm

It shows a moderate to high ecotoxicity to most species. The article also claims to have low persistence which makes it useless against termites. Chlorpyrifos has high persistence.

11 minutes ago, The Theory said:

The posts should have been treated with creosote. I would dig around each post one by one with a jack to support the floor beam and pour a concrete collar around and under each post. Check for termite mud runs over the concrete every few months as needed. The termites are coptotermes which need to live in the ground and build mud trails to maintain moisture.

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Are the house stumps wood or concrete? How high are they?

Concrete, 1 meter raised footing. All around the house will be closed by cement blocks. 
Our area soil type is all clay. 1st they made it wet and soft and then mused it with soft clay, no dust no spray. 

6 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Concrete, 1 meter raised footing. All around the house will be closed by cement blocks. 
Our area soil type is all clay. 1st they made it wet and soft and then mused it with soft clay, no dust no spray. 

don't worry about it then. Try to keep the clay under the house dry, termites love mud. Check for the telltale mud trails regularly and just clean them away. Sump oil poured into a moat around the post will help a lot but only bother if the termites are a problem. I would leave a doorway into the under space. Don't store any wood under the house.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The article also claims to have low persistence which makes it useless against termites.

Chlorpyrifos is an organophosphate insecticide. ... Chlorpyrifos is used to control many different kinds of pests, including termites, mosquitoes, and roundworms. 

11 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Chlorpyrifos is an organophosphate insecticide. ... Chlorpyrifos is used to control many different kinds of pests, including termites, mosquitoes, and roundworms. 

The danger is termites making a mud trail up the column and over the cap. This is unlikely. I would not bother with the poison. Chlorpyrifos in surface formula is intended only for under concrete slabs. The other won't last long enough to be of any use. Just give some kid 20 baht every 3 to 6 months to go check and photograph the columns for you.

• Like 1