A proposal to stop lightning striking twice.

up2you2

You don't say why you requested the quote but from your topic I'm guessing you had a direct strike and got "destroyed".  (?)

Surge suppression can be very expensive and IMO not worth it.  A direct strike will take out everything and anything - there is no protection.  Indirect surges can be protected but I'm not willing to take that insurance.

In any case, the quote seems a bit on the high side but that's typical of Phuket.

Surge protection is one of those things that you don't need until you do, and even then it might not completely protect you. Nothing is going to save you from a direct hit to the LV supply, but fortunately these are rare.

But like the covid vaccine it can significantly reduce your exposure and risk.

The Schneider units being proposed are, IMHO, well over-priced for what they are.

We are dosed up to the gills with SPDs all of the relatively low-cost Chinese variety. My theory being that having many units will at least provide some protection even if some are "not quite as good as they should be".

• Like 2

On 11/16/2021 at 9:21 PM, Crossy said:

We are dosed up to the gills with SPDs all of the relatively low-cost Chinese variety. My theory being that having many units will at least provide some protection even if some are "not quite as good as they should be".

…until one catches fire (without a surge). 

2 minutes ago, tjo o tjim said:

…until one catches fire (without a surge). 

I did say "relatively low cost" not "as cheap as I can find". All are from known Chinese manufacturers.

Of course they have their MCBs and the internal "melt the wire" protection too. I'm not worrying.