Decent India Take Away

smartecosse

Had a notion for an Indian meal the other week and went to the Mr India on the road down to Chalong Harbour

Was under impressed with the food especially the nan bread :o

Maybe the chef was away for the day and someone else was doing the cooking

Anyway, cab anyone recommend somewhere that is near to Rawai / Chalong? Have seen good reports on one in Phuket Town but can't be bothered driving there for a takeaway.

Did you actualy ordered Naan? there is Naan, Parata, chapati, roti,...In Thailand, thais know Naan and Roti(the roti that they mix it up with banana, chocolate, butter,...cooked outdoor by some burmese and bangalese) they all test different.

Why don't go to patong, around Robinson area where they know their stuff very well and serve middle-east customers. The problem is they don't all cook the same way. For example indian like parata thin and non greasy, pakistanese like thik and greasy.....You have to try and find out where to go.

I used to go to Dubai resturant, they are paki...Try some arabic resturant, most have indian cook and serve paki and indian food too

Can you say the difference

http://www.indianfoodrecipes.net/indian-br...ipes/index.html

Btw, try speaking english with indian accent and shake ur head a bit if you can? you might get more attn :o

Edited by BKKDUDE

Did you actualy ordered Naan? there is Naan, Parata, chapati, roti,...In Thailand, thais know Naan and Roti(the roti that they mix it up with banana, chocolate, butter,...cooked outdoor by some burmese and bangalese) they all test different.

Why don't go to patong, around Robinson area where they know their stuff very well and serve middle-east customers. The problem is they don't all cook the same way. For example indian like parata thin and non greasy, pakistanese like thik and greasy.....You have to try and find out where to go.

I used to go to Dubai resturant, they are paki...Try some arabic resturant, most have indian cook and serve paki and indian food too

Can you say the difference

http://www.indianfoodrecipes.net/indian-br...ipes/index.html

Btw, try speaking english with indian accent and shake ur head a bit if you can? you might get more attn :D

thanks for the reply even if it is a little racist / non pc :o

actually it was that along with the combination of shaking your head while you talk etc etc

and personally i do find calling people "paki's " offensive

perhaps it may not be racist or may be "pc" these days but i don't think its appropriate

**edited to add**

does that mean that you also think calling someone a chink, spic, dago, nigger etc etc is also acceptable or do you just happen to think that the word PAKI is not derogatory?

Oi paki, over here...........

Oi mate, over here..........

not quite the same.

Edited by smartecosse

You think it's racist to use the word Paki? Sorry, but using that word does not a racist make.....

Don't worry, Smartecosse is good friend of mine and he's not aware of my alias here. However it's my mistake, i didn't know in english, paki might sound offensive, because in Persian language we used to say Paki when i lived in bkk.

Btw Ali-Baba i tried last time wasn't bad, they have 4 resturants over phuket and samui

You think it's racist to use the word Paki? Sorry, but using that word does not a racist make.....

It's actually a very racist word and I cringe when I hear it (and I'm not PC at all).

In terms of the Indian place in Chalong, their Chef has left to set up in Laguna and yes the food has gone very downhill. There used to be a couple of OK places in Rawai, but they are both gone now I believe.

The Ali Baba's in Pattaya is a great Indian restaurant, but nothing to do with the ones here in Phuket.

actually it was that along with the combination of shaking your head while you talk etc etc

and personally i do find calling people "paki's " offensive

perhaps it may not be racist or may be "pc" these days but i don't think its appropriate

**edited to add**

does that mean that you also think calling someone a chink, spic, dago, nigger etc etc is also acceptable or do you just happen to think that the word PAKI is not derogatory?

Oi paki, over here...........

Oi mate, over here..........

not quite the same.

Paki is just short for Pakistani. The other words you use are racist and are not the same.

Is Aussie, which is short for Australian, racist?

Paki is just short for Pakistani. The other words you use are racist and are not the same.

Is Aussie, which is short for Australian, racist?

I beg to differ

Paki may be short for Pakistani but it is a derogatory word. Not sure how many pakistani friends you have but personally I don't call mine "Paki"

The fact that you try and say that calling someone a Paki is different from calling a person a chink or a nigger is quite frankly pathetic.

The original poster may have misused the word but you seem to really think that Paki isn't derogatory which is quite remarkable in this day and age.

Being Australian and being called and Aussie, being from New Zealand and being called a Kiwi, being from Scotland and being called a Jock is totally different from being a Pakistani and being called a Paki

Then again, perhaps you view anyone that doesn't have white skin as a second class citizen and therefore you can call them whatever you want.

Edited by smartecosse

Being Australian and being called and Aussie, being from New Zealand and being called a Kiwi, being from Scotland and being called a Jock is totally different from being a Pakistani and being called a Paki

Please explain why it is different. Forget Jock or Kiwi. Aussie and Paki are just short for the countries they come from. The racism angle is just in your own head.

Please explain why it is different. Forget Jock or Kiwi. Aussie and Paki are just short for the countries they come from. The racism angle is just in your own head.

You are very adamant that Paki is not a derogatory word. Can I ask what your ethnic background is?

Bet your not a Pakistani are you?

Get your head out the sand and into the real world. Paki is derogatory. If you don't believe ask a wider audience. Maybe ask someone from pakistan........... or do you try not to associate with "them"

Aussie and Paki are just short for the countries they come from.

Many many years ago perhaps. In the modern age Paki has taken on a new meaning

The racism angle is just in your own head.

Mine and probably the bulk of the population. However, I am pretty sure that if you head down to the local BNP gathering you will find plenty of people that think the way you do

Actually had this debate on another forum that included two Pakistanis. Their position was that the word was not intrinsicly racist. It's the context in which the word is used.

Please explain why Aussie isn't racist whilst Paki is? Is it just perception?

If the word Paki has taken on a new meaning, then maybe we should take the word back, like gay people did with the word Queer.

So far you have called me "pathetic", you imply that I think anyone non-white is a second class citizen and I don't mix with "them". Do you think you know me?

If you can't debate with some one that has a differing opinion than your own without resorting to unpleasantries, maybe you need to take a step back and take a look at yourself?

Paki is without doubt a derogatory / racist term and I cringed when I read the post too.. And I am not PC at all when it comes to the offend no one styles that must be all inclusive.

I have to say tho, I only found out recently that 'Jap' is considered offensive !! I think thats more US based finding it non PC (since WWII) than UK perhaps.. I even have a Japanese contact and would not have stopped from using it in his company. So thats an odd one (you get console games marked 'jap' region)..

As with other derogatory terms, its all in the 'way' its said.. But paki is without doubt now into the <deleted>, spic, kraut, kind of terminology.

Let's bring it back on topic please and since the term is considered offensive by a large audience, let it stop here.

"3) Religious or racial slurs, rude and degrading comments towards women, or extremely negative views of Thailand will not be tolerated."

I've had some good Indian at Central in Phuja Nirvana. I asked for the tour met the chefs and they showed me their tandoori oven. (Why do i feel there's a joke to be inserted here... :o )

I had some good naan and chicken tika and also enjoyed the samosas

I wouldn't say it's the best I've ever had but it's pretty good

I enjoy Navrang Mahal (sp?) in Patong. It's on a soi off of bangla (forget the name) but it's the same street that has buffalo steak house.

at this point I'm happy to have any suggestions for Indian food on Phuket. I'd like to try some place new.

I absolutely love indian food.

I've tried every place here several times over.

They are either overpriced or crap! Usually both

Save yourself the trouble and when you have a hunger for good indian food buy a ticket to KL or Penang.

Screw the indian and paki pricks here in Phuket.

With all the east Indians here you would think they'd have at least one good restaurant. But NOOOO!. You will be disappointed.

Bangkok does have a small handful of decent Indian restaurants.

The middle eastern restaurants aren't much better they are rancid coakroach infested venues.

With the influx of so many East Indian and middle eastern visitors you might think someone could remove their head from their a$$ and provide a decent restaurant.

I went to the best so called indian restaurant in Patong. All I ordered was dhal and rice to test it out. It made me sick! <deleted>!!! how can you screw up dhal and rice? Unless you simply don't freaking care.

And that my impression from most local east indians and middle easterners here is that they don't care!

The stupid tailors prove it.

I wanted to have some nice cotton linen pants made. I couldn't find a single one with the proper material!

They are are simply geared up to hit on the one off tourist. They give new meaning to shortsightedness.

^Well yes I did. And last time I checked Pakistan is a country. The people who live there Pakistanis.

Since when do people of a nation constitute a "race"? I simply used an abbreviation of the word pakistani.

Hardly a racial slur.

No more a racial slur than using "brit" "yank" "frog".

I absolutely love indian food.

so you like the food but not the people that make it??

by the way, the above comment is a little offensive, especially for those members of the forum that happen to be from Pakistan................................

Funny how a Pakistani cricket team in Australia calls themselves The "Pakis"

Within Pakistan, the term Paki does not carry pejorative conotations both when used by Pakistani citizens or foreigners. In Australia, the Pakistani cricket team are commonly referred to as the Pakis, just as the West Indians are known as the Windies.
link

I believe it only a racial slur if you refer to east Indians as a paki.

I don't think anyone in this thread did that!

Where is that in Phuket, khall?

I love Indian food too but the one Indian restaurant here on Koh Phangan puts so much MSG in their food (or something) that one hour after we ate both my husband and myself became violently ill. And, obviously, never went back :o