Wife cheeks dark brown pigment.

Martin71

Hello All,

My wife has developed dark brown skin on her cheeks, I have seen this quite a lot on Thai women, has anyone got a wife/ missus/significant other that has also got or had this.

Would be grateful if anyone could could recommend treatment or creams that would would help this be less of a problem as my wife is a bit depressed over this ( I still think she's a stunner).

Cheers in advance chaps...  

Edited by Martin71
wrong forum

6 hours ago, expat1010 said:

Probably Melasma; is common in Thailand (especially in darker pigmented skin) and not really treatable. Lots of hospitals, companies and individuals will try to sell her expensive creams and treatments but most are ineffective and those that do work do so only marginally and will not eliminate the issue. 

Correct...my brother developed it years ago...once it occurred it stabilized and never really spread too far and in fact has faded a bit over the years. It's just an opverpigmentation of the dermal layer...not dangerous but also very little to be done for it in reality

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Martin71 said:

My wife has developed dark brown skin on her cheeks, I have seen this quite a lot on Thai women

Not just Thai and not just women.

What causes dark skin on cheeks?

Melasma is a common skin condition that affects the face and causes patchy, brown, tan or blue-gray spots on the face. It is one of several skin conditions that result in patches of discolored skin. Most people with melasma get dark patches on their cheeks, chin, nose bridge, forehead, and above the upper lip.

1,578 Melasma Stock Photos, Melasma Images | Depositphotos®

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

As others have said, probably melasma.

If she is on birth control pills this is sometimes the cause and changing to a different form of contraception (IUD etc -- but not a hormone coated one) may help.

If not, she should see a dermatologist, treatment can be complicated.

Avoid commercially sold creams etc -- especially bleaching creams - they may make it worse.

8 hours ago, expat1010 said:

Probably Melasma; is common in Thailand (especially in darker pigmented skin) and not really treatable. Lots of hospitals, companies and individuals will try to sell her expensive creams and treatments but most are ineffective and those that do work do so only marginally and will not eliminate the issue. 

Very true, and also not uncommon in us westerners as I can testify. Mine is the opposite, dark skin that has lighter blotches.  Most unfortunately it's most prominent on my weenie and took many hours of explaining to my (Thai) wife that it was a dermatological condition.

Along with the word roundabout she had  no idea what I was talking about , but after 90 minutes she did put the knife away.

• Haha 1

Try tanaka. Powdered bark of sandalwood tree. 
on the net for 180b per kilogram. 
sellers usually from birman border areas in kanchanaburi. 
depending on her skin composition can be mixed with water, yoghurt, honey, oil as a mask. Can be worn day (as birmanees women do) and night for bed. 
On top of abrasive treatment, peeling, it has active biological enzymes which lessen overpigmentation. Check for scientific research. 
Can be used on all body as a sunblock. 
wearing a hat with a wide bream when going on the sun will also help. 
if sudden onset do check thyroid and other hormonal imbalances related to female body.

Edited by internationalism

Many Thai people grew up constantly using perfumed talc powder on their face. Many still use it today and prior to the prevalence of the many fake liquid perfumes and fabric softeners on the market, entire schools full of children wore carcinogenic talc powders on their face. Every woman in my wife's family douses their faces with these powders immediately after taking a shower. And they dump an entire bag, not just a cap full, of perfumed fabric softener in ever wash load. Only speculation, but this may contribute to the problem.