Problem with water pump any ideas.

kevc

I had the same problem.  In the Electrical forum here, this  is discussed  and   told how to fix.    I  tried it and it worked.   The problem is  seals   in the pump wear and allow excess water into the  lower tank on the pump, causing   the motor to switch on/off repeatedly...               These  seals  need replacing   about each 5 years im told.   Had it done by local handyman, seals cost about 50 baht.  Gave the  guy 300 baht  for   hours work. Cheap.

For  you to do.....turn off  electric to pump, unplug    motor for  security.  Turn off inlet water tap/s,  turn on outlet hose somewhere, to reduce  water pressure in tank.  Then  unscrew black plug at bottom of water tank on pump.  A considerable amount of water will  eject...Let it all drain out.  Then reverse procedure...replace  tank plug, close   outlet tap,  turn on inlet tap/s to  pump,  plug in  electric and switch on.  Pump should  start and run for maybe 30 seconds  first time, then switch off.   You will need to do this  probably every week at least in the future, as I do, even after the seals were replaced.. My motor (Mitsubishi)  about  12 years old.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2021 at 7:18 AM, HAPPYNUFF said:

I had the same problem.  In the Electrical forum here, this  is discussed  and   told how to fix.    I  tried it and it worked.   The problem is  seals   in the pump wear and allow excess water into the  lower tank on the pump, causing   the motor to switch on/off repeatedly...               These  seals  need replacing   about each 5 years im told.   Had it done by local handyman, seals cost about 50 baht.  Gave the  guy 300 baht  for   hours work. Cheap.

For  you to do.....turn off  electric to pump, unplug    motor for  security.  Turn off inlet water tap/s,  turn on outlet hose somewhere, to reduce  water pressure in tank.  Then  unscrew black plug at bottom of water tank on pump.  A considerable amount of water will  eject...Let it all drain out.  Then reverse procedure...replace  tank plug, close   outlet tap,  turn on inlet tap/s to  pump,  plug in  electric and switch on.  Pump should  start and run for maybe 30 seconds  first time, then switch off.   You will need to do this  probably every week at least in the future, as I do, even after the seals were replaced.. My motor (Mitsubishi)  about  12 years old.

AND  this is exactly what i do for my pump   

Like always, there may be several things that can cause this. For me it was the check valve at the bottom of the well. When I pulled up the pipe, the check valve was gone. Some how it broke off.  Every time the pump shut off, the water drained quickly back into the ground and the pump would come back on. Over and over again. I replaced it and was good to go.

• Like 1

Waterlogged

Even with check valve and bladder tank our pump gets waterlogged and cycles way to often about once a month

Shut off the pump and water supply and fully drain it by removing both bottom and top plugs

Re-assemble and problem solved

Total job only takes 10 minutes now I'm used to doing it

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ross163103 said:

This is especially a problem if you have an above ground tank, usually below ground tanks--where the pump is sucking, don't cause the tank to get waterlogged.

You are exactly right. I had that happen with an above ground tank as well. Pump tank became waterlogged quite regularly. Good thing it was mother inlaw's system in Essarn. I showed them how to drain the tank and then start over. They had to do it after that, not me.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...