Discounted Airfares To Usa

jimmym40

I'm from USA, just settled in CM. I have been flying from LAX to BKK twice a year for the past 10 yrs and always purchased tix in US. Does anyone know of discount airfares from BKK to USA.

Thanks.

Jim

I'm from USA, just settled in CM. I have been flying from LAX to BKK twice a year for the past 10 yrs and always purchased tix in US. Does anyone know of discount airfares from BKK to USA.

My own recent experience is that round-trip fares for travel to BKK originating in the US are generally cheaper than for that of round-trip travel to the US originating in Thailand. A few years back, this was just the opposite.

~

I have been running back and forth for many years and always shop around but have yet to find any agent in Thailand that gives me the prices/connections that I get from Taurus Travel on Phuket. I am writing this from Colorado and we are on a 2/mo BKK-HNL-OGG-HNL-DEN-BOS-BKK itinerary for under $16k/ea and the longest layover was at Narita (which we like anyway) for less than four hours.

Try Email Ora with your request. She is da kine and will supply their bank acct info so you can simply deposit the funds right into their bank from anywhere in Thailand. They have always been right on with any changes, mileage credits, seat assignments, etc.. I tried many, many other recommendations made here on ThaiVisa and nobody else even came close.

Happy trails...

"China Airlines flying directly to Taipei from CNX and thus avoiding BKK. Expedia reports 1600+ USD and certainly if you income stream is in that currency you save since no conversion occurs."

You may save conversion fees, but if you mean $1,600 ?? Then you are paying twice what I would ideally pay for a round trip ticket. You better be first class at that rate. I don't see $1,600 US as being part of the discount thread either.

For me, EVA always works great. For a couple yrs JAL was really competitive and I love the food and service, but they've lost that edge. EVA online specials have outpaced anything else I have found around town in the last 2 years.

While many speak of "discounts" no one has mentioned a figure except me. Expedia certainly is not a discount airfare site but would sure like to hear from posters of actual flight costs or what they have priced. The newspaper is full of discounts but I doubt if they ever are effective. Multiple stops certainly cheapen the ticket price, but one stop from CNX to LAX should be the criteria or benchmark we use to determine comparability.

"China Airlines flying directly to Taipei from CNX and thus avoiding BKK. Expedia reports 1600+ USD and certainly if you income stream is in that currency you save since no conversion occurs."

You may save conversion fees, but if you mean $1,600 ?? Then you are paying twice what I would ideally pay for a round trip ticket. You better be first class at that rate. I don't see $1,600 US as being part of the discount thread either.

For me, EVA always works great. For a couple yrs JAL was really competitive and I love the food and service, but they've lost that edge. EVA online specials have outpaced anything else I have found around town in the last 2 years.

I agree. For four years I have found Eva and China Airlines to consistently offer the best fares. Never paid more than $800 USD for a round trip ticket to the USA (West Coast). Whether Dustoff meant $16,000 or $1,600; both are way out of line for a "discount" ticket.

" but one stop from CNX to LAX should be the criteria or benchmark we use to determine comparability."

That may be a fine benchmark for you. That's one kind of flight. Personally I enjoy 1-2 days in BKK coming and going to relax, eat at my favorite restaurants down there, sum up what I've been up to in CM, and then what I have to do back in The States. The BKK trip is a perfect little space and time to adjust to the culture shocks both ways. Also I"m happy to see friends down there. For me the benchmark that I care about is how cheap can we go on a good airline ?? I used to get JAL for about $550 RT LAX-BKK in 2000. Now I have to deal with prices near $800 for RT on EVA. That's alright, I can handle it. So for me benchamrk is about the $$, as is this thread. CNX direct or one stopover is about time n convenience, two other issues.

If someone would fly my a55 to America from CNX with just one stop in Taiwan or Tokyo for $800 I'd be all for it. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I agree. For four years I have found Eva and China Airlines to consistently offer the best fares. Never paid more than $800 USD for a round trip ticket to the USA (West Coast). Whether Dustoff meant $16,000 or $1,600; both are way out of line for a "discount" ticket.

A typo on my part - of course I meant $1600.

And I certainly did check EVA, China, JAL, etc along with many different agents locally and internationally. Perhaps it is about timing but I began my search several months before our departure. Please note that mine was hardly BKK-LAX but an intinerary that included not only a journey to the opposite side of the planet but included two Hawaii inter-island flights. And even without the Hawaii flights, EVA and China were not even close to competitive either thru direct contact or agents.

And I certainly did check EVA, China, JAL, etc along with many different agents locally and internationally. Perhaps it is about timing but I began my search several months before our departure.And even without the Hawaii flights, EVA and China were not even close to competitive either thru direct contact or agents.

Thanks everyone for these postings. A really 'good to know' data update.

Just wondering though - Which airline won your wallet, Dustoff? Both EVA and CHINA AIR I have found over the years to have well-priced discount fares. Thnx...

if you go directly to China-airlines.com you can get that same trip for a little over $1000 RT CNX-SFO

its tricky though. You need to first look at their flight schedule and use those dates to query the flights. Otherwise you will get lots of "no flights available" messages.

Okay, thanks all for your views. As I stated previously, I have making an average of two trips a year from Vegas to CM for the last 10 yrs. Alwlays buying tix in Vegas from a consolidator in LA. The consolidator used China, Eva, Thai and Korean. Every year a different airline had better fares, but overall China was the cheapest. My wife and I chose to use Thai airlines for the simple fact that when we came to CM for an extended stay, other airlines (oh ya, United also), would not let us board because we did not have a visa, we always stayed at least 60 days. I know all the visa rules and I keep trying to tell the agents that you don't need a visa prior to departing, you can extend it in Thailand. Well they would have no part of that. Thai airlines is the only airline that would not balk at not having a visa. Anyway, this is getting off the thread. Just wanted to make others aware of this treatment.

So we stuck with Thai airlines,much more expensive, and now that they have non-stop flights from LA to BKK, price is even higher. Oh ya, we stayed with Thai also because of the miles...

I suspected there were no consolidators in bkk/thailand, but just thought i would ask.

My thoughts are scrambled right now and not thinking right (not sleeping well).

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Jim

Okay, thanks all for your views. As I stated previously, I have making an average of two trips a year from Vegas to CM for the last 10 yrs. Alwlays buying tix in Vegas from a consolidator in LA. The consolidator used China, Eva, Thai and Korean. Every year a different airline had better fares, but overall China was the cheapest. My wife and I chose to use Thai airlines for the simple fact that when we came to CM for an extended stay, other airlines (oh ya, United also), would not let us board because we did not have a visa, we always stayed at least 60 days. I know all the visa rules and I keep trying to tell the agents that you don't need a visa prior to departing, you can extend it in Thailand. Well they would have no part of that. Thai airlines is the only airline that would not balk at not having a visa. Anyway, this is getting off the thread. Just wanted to make others aware of this treatment.

So we stuck with Thai airlines,much more expensive, and now that they have non-stop flights from LA to BKK, price is even higher. Oh ya, we stayed with Thai also because of the miles...

I suspected there were no consolidators in bkk/thailand, but just thought i would ask.

Jim

Jimmy, can you PM or post here the details of the consolidator you know in LA. I live in Thailand and am trying to locate a reasonable ticket for my daughter to visit at Christmas. Fares are very high that time of year. She also lives inland, not in LA or SFO.

Thanks everyone for these postings. A really 'good to know' data update.

Just wondering though - Which airline won your wallet, Dustoff? Both EVA and CHINA AIR I have found over the years to have well-priced discount fares. Thnx...

United, mostly due to price and connections. Several other airlines had huge layovers, a couple were even overnighters. And United, while a bit of the pits in comfort, shares mileage with both Thai Air and Aloha Air.

And while my lengthy itinerary is a bit off topic, my point was that Taurus Travel seems to have it together for any flight or itinerary - at least in my experience.

Flew here (LAX-BKK-LAX) on EVA. Paid $1078 out the door r/t, admittedly not a cheapy fare but I was flying in July, so not a great time of year for discounts. What I would like to note is that I just dealt with EVA ticketing; I like CM so much I decided I didn't need/want to go back, and ticket was expiring (1 yr validity). I was supposed to be hit (on my fare basis) with a $150 refund fee. Just checked my CC acct- they credited back 1/2 of the fare! And were very good on the phone....I like EVA!

Having said that, it will definitely be CAL from CNX-TPE-LAX for me from now on. You can get deals on CAL, as noted above. When I want to go to BKK, it's Air Asia, 1-2-Go or Nok for peanuts. When I go back to US, I want the straight route, and CAL is the one...

Hope you get this, I'm new to this and not sure everything I try to do works. Okay, I'll have to email my friend in LA and get the phone info for you, it'll take a day or two.

Jim

Jim

Jimmy, can you PM or post here the details of the consolidator you know in LA. I live in Thailand and am trying to locate a reasonable ticket for my daughter to visit at Christmas. Fares are very high that time of year. She also lives inland, not in LA or SFO.