Fast (<2hrs) PCR or Antigen Test Result for International Travelling

fabruer

I am looking for a hospital that will provide a fast result (<2hrs, ideally 30 minutes) for either a PCR or an Antigen test suitable for international travels.

I have done a google search and also a quick scan of the forum, with this post I am looking for answers from members that either had such a fast result test done themselves or who know of such hospital?

Thanks in advance!

43 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Don't think anyone can, no less than 12 hours at the minimum... Not in Thailand anyway...

In Chiang Mai I know of two places the lab results for a RT-PCR will come back in 6 to 7 hours.  

1. cmmedclinic.com I got swabbed at 0900 and got the result emailed by 1530.  

2. CM Ram Hospital  One can get swabbed in the morning and the result will be ready by late afternoon or early evening at the latest.  

Edited by sqwakvfr
Content
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies so far. Should have added, I am looking for Bangkok area.

Seems to be a hard thing to achieve.

Don't know why though. Earlier this month I was admitted to hospital. Had to do a test before being moved from ER to room. Test results came back within the hour.

2 hours ago, fabruer said:

Thanks for the replies so far. Should have added, I am looking for Bangkok area.

Seems to be a hard thing to achieve.

Don't know why though. Earlier this month I was admitted to hospital. Had to do a test before being moved from ER to room. Test results came back within the hour.

If it was that fast then it was probably an anti-gen test.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

If it was that fast then it was probably an anti-gen test.  

PCR can be done as a little as 20minutes, albeit these are usually at large western airports and can cost $250+ for the dopey traveller that didnt realize he/she needed one

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, asiam110 said:

PCR can be done as a little as 20minutes, albeit these are usually at large western airports and can cost $250+ for the dopey traveller that didnt realize he/she needed one

For comparison in Los Angeles a 4 hour PCR test costs $500.  So I doubt any hospital in Thailand would administer a PCR test for a patient who is about to be admitted.  I had a colonoscopy a few months ago and I had an anti-gen test the day before the procedure.  The hospital charged me 700 baht(no way a private hospital would charge only 700 baht for a PCR test?).  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

For comparison in Los Angeles a 4 hour PCR test costs $500.  So I doubt any hospital in Thailand would administer a PCR test for a patient who is about to be admitted.  I had a colonoscopy a few months ago and I had an anti-gen test the day before the procedure.  The hospital charged me 700 baht(no way a private hospital would charge only 700 baht for a PCR test?).  

Ouch imagine paying $500 for a PCR test and still having only a 4 hour guarantee, I paid 50euros for my last one and got the pdf/result in 3hrs although the guarantee was "maximum 9pm" so I guess 12hrs for those that rocked up at start of day. Agree at 700baht you had an antigen

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies.

Since Antigen Test is a valid test for my destination and the law provides for a 48hr time window from result to arrival at destination that seems the way to go.

Anyone else happy to share their antigen test experiences for international travel?

The best I’ve seen in Thailand for RT-PCR test is test taken between 8-10am with same day results.

Certified lateral Flow tests (antigen test kit - ATK) results can be secured in minutes.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSetF0fK1rOMxKx3R9dsxJPy9Txgr0UvqZZYMshKbdxEtTur-w/viewform

The requirement for ATK or PCR depends very much on the destination country and airline. 

Some airlines are OK with ATK, others insist on a pre-travel PCR.

Some nations are OK with ATK, others insist on a pre-travel PCR.

Whereas some airline / country combinations have no requirement for either. 

Example: Fly to the UK on Emirates - there is no need for a Pre-Flight PCR or ATK result (cert) for the Airline or entry to the UK (there is a requirement to pre-purchase an ATK, fill out a traveler locator form, and register that and register the Antigen test 2 days after arrival). 

However, Fly to the UK on Etihad and Etihad requirement is for a Pre-Flight PCR test to be permitted to board (the UK requirement remains the same as above with an ATK 2 days after arrival). 

• Thanks 1

It is not the airlines which decide which tests are necessary. It is the governments of the destination country.  The airlines go by whatever rules, say, the USA wants if one is flying to the USA. But note this caveat from below: "The test used must (also) be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered.

Antigen test takes a couple hours or less to get results and can cost as low as 700 baht.  PCR tests are much more expensive and can take a lot longer to get results.  The airlines accept tests BASED ON what the destination country wants. For example, USA accepts EITHER the cheap, quick Antigen test or the much more expensive, time consuming PCR ('NAAT') test.  For some reason, many travelers to the USA are not aware they don’t need the expensive, time-consuming PCR test.

Below are quotes from the USA cdc.gov website which url link is below.

“Test and Vaccination Documentation Requirements 

You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

Rapid tests are acceptable if they are a viral test that meet the requirements under the Order.

You can use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria: (NOTE: I omitted here these few paragraphs on the self-test. Go to the website to read. I wouldn’t recommend this, especially since the regular Antigen test will come from a hospital and is not expensive.)

What kind of info must be on the test results?

A test result must be in the form of written documentation (paper or digital copy). The documentation must include:

1. Type of test (indicating it is a NAAT or antigen test)
  2. Entity issuing the result (e.g., laboratory, healthcare entity, or telehealth service)
  3. Sample collection date
    • A negative test result must show the sample was taken no more than 3 days before the flight for air passengers who have proof of being fully vaccinated, or no more than 1 day before the flight if the air passenger is not fully vaccinated.
    • A positive test result for documentation of recovery from COVID-19 must show the sample was taken within the 90 days before the flight.
  4. Information that identifies the person (full name plus at least one other identifier such as date of birth or passport number)
  5. Test result

Before boarding a flight to the U.S., you will need to show a paper or digital copy of your test result for review by the airline and for review upon request by public health officials after you arrive in the U.S.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-

air-travelers.html

Edited by KrishnaCameb4Buddha

45 minutes ago, KrishnaCameb4Buddha said:

It is not the airlines which decide which tests are necessary. It is the governments of the destination country.  The airlines go by whatever rules, say, the USA wants if one is flying to the USA. But note this caveat from below: "The test used must (also) be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered.

Incorrect: The Airlines and / or the countries can and do impose their own regulations. 

i.e. fly to the UK from Thailand with Etihad...  No PCR test is required to travel to the UK from Thailand, yet Etihad require a RT-PCR test, in contrast Emirates do not. 

Antigen test takes a couple hours or less to get results and can cost as low as 700 baht.  PCR tests are much more expensive and can take a lot longer to get results. 

Antigen tests (ATK / Lateral Flow tests) give instant results and can (and are more commonly) self administered, official certification may take longer when required for travel. 

RT-PCR tests can return a result within a couple of hours when fast tracked (fast tracking is more common in Europe, i.e. Heathrow has RT-PCR testing with results guaranteed within 3 hrs, its expensive) - I only know of one place in Thailand which can offer same day PCR results (medconsultasia), I don’t know a place which can fast track PCR results any faster).

The airlines accept tests BASED ON what the destination country wants.

No, the airlines may have their own requirement (Etihad example above - they don’t care what the country / destination requirements are, they want a negative PCR test result).

For example, USA accepts EITHER the cheap, quick Antigen test or the much more expensive, time consuming PCR ('NAAT') test.  For some reason, many travelers to the USA are not aware they don’t need the expensive, time-consuming PCR test.

Again... country requirements maybe different from airline requirements. 

Any traveller to any destination (domestic or international) need to understand the requirements of BOTH the Airline and the destination.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

@fabruer

OP, if you want to part with 5000 Baht for a very rapid PCR test (less than 2 hrs apparently), the folks from Samitivej Hospital are currently robbing people on the 3rd Floor (below Departures) of Suvarnabhumi Airport.

That is quite a reasonable price though .

The usual going rate is about 3500 Baht for results which can take 24 hours . 

Ana things usually are more expensive at airports 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is quite a reasonable price though .

The usual going rate is about 3500 Baht for results which can take 24 hours . 

Ana things usually are more expensive at airports 

Yeah, I'm not sure why this kind of 3000+ Baht price range is quoted so often. The folks at MedConsult Clinic on Sukhumvit 49 are doing them for 2000 .... and only 500 for walk-in ATKs.

Ironically, they are located right behind the actual Samitivej Hospital in Thong Lor.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

@fabruer

OP, if you want to part with 5000 Baht for a very rapid PCR test (less than 2 hrs apparently), the folks from Samitivej Hospital are currently robbing people on the 3rd Floor (below Departures) of Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Thanks. That's actually what I was looking for! ????

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 5:56 PM, MeatMinister said:

Hyatt Erawan BKK sold me a max two hours pcr result within the test and go package. I know of first hand experience that the result took 1 hour. 

How much did you pay for this PCR Test? How long ago? Did you have to make an appointment? How did they document the results? And, were the test results accepted at BKK airport (and the destination country)? 

On 11/25/2021 at 8:26 PM, KrishnaCameb4Buddha said:

“Test and Vaccination Documentation Requirements 

You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. . . .

Yeah, I read this on the CDC website also; but, I am not familiar with all of these other tests. Are some or all of these tests (other than the RT-PCR test in question) the rapid, less-expensive antigen tests? Has anyone ever been tested in BKK with one of these other methods and had the results accepted by the Airlines and destination country--in my case, the U.S.?

I forgot to add something that might also be helpful. If you look carefully on that same CDC website at the 3rd question under the "Timing Requirements" heading, you will learn that you can actually gain some additional time between taking the actual viral test and the deadline to use it in order to board on an international flight by following their 3-day/1-day requirement rather than a 72-hour/24-hour protocol. The websites says . . .

"The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure and the 3-day period is the 3 days before the flight’s departure. The Order uses 1-day and 3-day time frames instead of 24 hours and 72 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day and 3-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken. For example, if you are fully vaccinated and your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after. If you are not fully vaccinated and your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday." 

As one who has not yet been vaxxed, it appears I could go to one of these testing places in the early morning to take my test and get the results and schedule my flight for the evening of the following day, thereby meeting the "1-day before requirement" while actually obtaining an additional 8-10 hour window to actually board my flight. They allow extra time if your flight is delayed "24 hours or less past the 1-day or 3-day limit for testing" and the delay is "out of your control" (severe weather/mechanical problems). It is 48 hours past this limit for testing if the delay is for a connecting flight en route.  

You also need to know clearly what the country you have your layover in requires in regards to the antigen test.