Unreadable passport

Went for an unintended swim on the weekend.  Lost cell phone but worse, passport stamps are unreadable.  So, off to Cdn Embassy for a new one.  Can someone sketch out the procedure to get visa etc. transferred to new PP.   A heartfelt thank you in advance.

I made a similar error in the past, a damaged CDN passport is not returned to you, for me anyway. If you have copies of old passport visas / stamps is very helpful at immigration.  Transfer stamp form to fill out can download online

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Personal note to self: 

Make copies of identity page and other required pages. 

Perhaps myself and many others overlook this. Accidents happen..

Would cell phone pictures be sufficient? 

Yes make copies and send to yourself,email ,facebook and what ever else.

No matter where you are (police station?) you can check your mail and show them your passport.

Also very good for proof of vaccination.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jvs said:
1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Personal note to self: 

Make copies of identity page and other required pages. 

Perhaps myself and many others overlook this. Accidents happen..

Would cell phone pictures be sufficient? 

Yes make copies and send to yourself,email ,facebook and what ever else.

No matter where you are (police station?) you can check your mail and show them your passport.

Also very good for proof of vaccination.

I have copies of my Passport ID page, Visa page (and many important docs) saved in ‘DropBox’ and can be directly accessed from my phone or computer, or I can log in and access them from anywhere.

Each time I arrive I also take a photo of my arrival stamp and save that in the same location. 

This has multiple uses - Passport copy / proof of entry / duration of stay etc if passport is lost. 

Also, if stopped by a ‘reasonable’ Policeman on the streets, if its not a shakedown etc, they’ll accept a photo on your phone (if we are not behaving like an utter tool with a superiority complex). 

Thus: As proof of ID / Visa status the Photo on on the phone is a good idea. 

That said: I’ve been stopped by ’shakedown police’ before (Asoke about 8-10 years ago at about 6pm) - they weren’t accepting anything (i.e. driving licence or photo of Passport on Phone), wanted to pull me out of a taxi for a urine test etc, those guys were just an utter nuisance at the time - this issue seems to have disappeared, but a recurrence of the same ‘shakedowns’ would not be surprising once tourism picks up again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This has multiple uses - Passport copy / proof of entry / duration of stay etc if passport is lost.

Indeed.

I had to sign something at a land office. Foolishly didn't have my pp with me.

The land Office chap accepted screenshot on cell of my identity page.

He just made copy.

Edited by DrJack54