Fingerprints That The Fbi Will Accept

Looking to get a criminal record check from the FBI in the US for a Argentina visa.

One thing that I can't find any information on is where can I get fingerprints made outside of the USA that they will accept?

The US consulate general in Hong Kong no longer provides this service but "...encourage you to avail yourself of the fingerprinting services offered by both the Hong Kong Police" for Hong Kong ID cards but don't actually state that their fingerprints can be submitted to the FBI.

Has anyone had any success with obtaining this outside of the US?

Looking to get a criminal record check from the FBI in the US for a Argentina visa.

One thing that I can't find any information on is where can I get fingerprints made outside of the USA that they will accept?

The US consulate general in Hong Kong no longer provides this service but "...encourage you to avail yourself of the fingerprinting services offered by both the Hong Kong Police" for Hong Kong ID cards but don't actually state that their fingerprints can be submitted to the FBI.

Has anyone had any success with obtaining this outside of the US?

The FBI should have no problems accepting a form completed by the Hong Kong or Macao police. Just make sure you use the right fingerprint card.

Edited by expatwannabe

One more thing. I'm in Thailand and I needed an FBI clearance for immigration to Canada (cuz I'm American). But I knew beforehand that I'd need fingerprints taken. Since there's no stated expiration on them - they don't change, after all - I had them taken while I was in the U.S. and brought the cards with me. Came in very handy.

Howdy,

I went to the U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mai, Thailand one morning to see about getting proof I don't have a criminal record. I returned in the afternoon for fingerprinting, and instructions on how to send the results to the FBI. About 6 weeks later, I had proof I'm not a criminal.

So there's one place I know of where you can get fingerprints which are accepted by the FBI.

The Australian Consulate provides no such service, but refers you to the Thai Police instead. I've heard the Australian version of the FBI -- forgive me for not knowing its name or initials even though I married an Aussie -- will accept Thai Police fingerprinting. So will the FBI? I have no idea. I just went to the Consulate and that was that.

Best regards,

Michael

The calico cat, above, is the first lucky cat I've heard of who got his prints done AT the US consulate or embassy. They used to say on the FBI website that you needed to get the card stock fingerprint card directly from a US consulate or embassy. However, from what Tywais said, my reading of the website may be incorrect or out of date.

They had the card stock fingerprint cards at the US consulate. August is a very friendly young man who said he provides the same service much cheaper when not working for the consulate. He made me two sets, just in case the FBI rejected the first one. I still have the second set.

Also, the card stock is printed in North Carolina, which is where I'm from. Yeehaw

I believe this was in February. This year, at any rate.

They had the card stock fingerprint cards at the US consulate. August is a very friendly young man who said he provides the same service much cheaper when not working for the consulate. He made me two sets, just in case the FBI rejected the first one. I still have the second set.

Also, the card stock is printed in North Carolina, which is where I'm from. Yeehaw

I believe this was in February. This year, at any rate.

I had my FBI criminal record verification done in Bangkok. It was very easy.

First, I went to the FBI website and downloaded three forms.

1. The fingerprinting form

2. The cover letter

3. The credit card payment form

Then, I went to the Bangkok police headquarters (between Chitlom and Siam Square) and I asked the officials there to do the fingerprinting for me. It took about ten minutes and it was free.

Next, I sent in the three forms to the FBI address that was in their website. I wrote on the outside of the envelope that I required the criminal report ASAP because i was applying for a work permit in Thailand.

Finally, after about three weeks I received the criminal report from the FBI. it was only three words "No arrest record" and that was it. I submitted this report along with the other pieces of paper in Laos when I applied for my B visa. I got the visa without any problems.

Bob

• 3 years later...

Bumping this old thread - I am looking for fingerprinting services. In Chiang Mai if possible. According to the Chiang Mai Consulate's home page, they don't do fingerprinting. They say this:

To be fingerprinted for a criminal records check, see if a Thai police station can do it for you. If not, contact Royal Thai Police Headquarters, Building 24, Phra Ram 1, Pathumwan District, Bangkok 10330. Tel.: 022-051-339, 022-052-556, or 022-052-169. We do not offer fingerprinting services at the Consulate. You may download a standard FBI fingerprint form from the FBI's Fingerprints and Other Biometrics website.

Anybody know if that guy August is still around?

Want to avoid a trip to BKK if possible - I just came from there today - to think I passed the Police HQ at least 4 times when I was there... grrr.... found this too late.

Bumping this old thread - I am looking for fingerprinting services. In Chiang Mai if possible.

You had no luck with the police station I suggested? If they wouldn't do it they should know which station would.

Bumping this old thread - I am looking for fingerprinting services. In Chiang Mai if possible.

You had no luck with the police station I suggested? If they wouldn't do it they should know which station would.

Yeah, no. I went to another police station (the one in the old town) and they told me they only do it for Thai government employees. And they can't possibly do it for anyone else.

They sent me to the tourist police by the river, which of course doesn't do it at all, for anyone :angry:

I get the feeling it's totally up to the police station though - they could do it if they felt like it. Except for the headquarters where they officially do it, at least according to the US consulate.

Edited by nikster