Getting Married In Bangkok & Krabi

Expat2B

My Fiancee and I will be getting married in BKK (Civil) and Krabi (ceremony) early next month. She has been studying in the UK for the last 2 years and upon our return to the UK will be applying for a settlement visa (as she still has a few months remaining on her existing visa). I will pick up the visa queries in the Visa forum.

As I understand things I need to take myself and with my passport and (original) divorce certificate to the UK Embassy with a completed declaration, which and they will then issue (the following day) a freedom to marry form.

We then get this translated (any translator recommendations appreciated, I have had Master Class Translations in Wireless recommended), and take the translation with original copies of my passport, divorce certificate and the UK Embassy certificate to the MOFA who will for an appropriate fee turn around the certification on the same day. As I understand it I do not personally need to be present at the MOFA while this is done (My Fiancee could do this for example).

We then go to the Amphur (any one it seems) with the paperwork for my Fiancee (ID and Tabien Baan) and registration is completed. We get registration documents in Thai, which it is advisable to translate into English for legal purposes in the UK later. We thus obviously get the translation done after the registration.

We then have our religious ceremony in Krabi and the whole thing is completed.

Am I missing anything above (e.g. does my divorce certificate need translating)?

My plan is to arrive on a Sunday, attend the embassy on Monday morning, collect the UK embassy certificate on Tuesday morning. Get the translation done on Tuesday then off to the MOFA to complete the final authorisation. We can then attend the Amphur on Wednesday to do the registration and go on to our ceremony (leaving Thursday but with the Ceremony on Sunday). Are we likely to have any issues with this timescale?

After the registration do we need to do anything with the MOFA for final legal certification of the marriage for use in the UK.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Expat2B

Most of the translation services will do the MFA stamp for you,saves you the long journey out to Chang Watthana road, some translation services advertise doing the entire package. Master Class did some work for me a couple of years back and they were OK.

I used Master Class earlier this year. It was a doddle with them.

We went to them after leaving passport and papers at Brit Embassy.

The same day they took us to the Amphur office and we got our marriage cert.

The amphur was happy marry us there and then on the understanding Master Class dropped off the papers from the brit Embassy. Which, by the way, they will also collect on your behalf.

They also translated all the Thai documents in to English for me. Marriage certificate etc.

There was no need for my UK Divorce Decree Absolute to be translated to Thai.

Total cost was just under 9000 baht.

I can confirm all the above. Go with Master Class. They can do the whole package in less than a day. Around 9,000 Baht. No hastle. No need to register in UK but you can if you wish.

Lite Beer was the guy who recommended Master Class to me.

Thanks again.