Best way to send a small sum of money from here to the US?

Hi all, I need to send a small amount of money to a guy in the States to cover some postage fees. Probably only $10-20. I don't have a paypal account but I use trasferwise (Or now Wise) to bring money from Australia sometimes. Could I send a small amount like that to the US with them or is there another easier / cheaper way. I could just do a direct deposit to his bank account from my Australian bank account I guess but not sure what that would cost? Fees may be higher than the cost of what I am sending 

8 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

You should be able to have him if he is a merchant charge your credit card in Australia.  Otherwise just open a Paypal account.  They are free and only take a few minutes to set up.  

I got scammed badly by Paypal 4 years ago, had $2000 drained out of my account over a period of 2 weeks, locked out of my account as the passwords had changed and not only unable to put a hold on the account I wasn't even able to send them a message without logging on. As it turned out the scammer was within Paypal! Was a nightmare, worst thing was trying to get a reply from them...something other than a robotic "check with the seller" response. It was the bogus seller that was hacking me! Only by sheer luck managed to get onto  someone in their office and talk to them who immediately said....yep this is wrong, money will be refunded by the end of the day. Apparently quite common, if you don't believe me google it. I couldn't believe such a major financial institution could be nearly impossible to contact.

Only way I could stop the bleeding of money was to cancel my linked credit cards to my Paypal account and never reinstated it again. Even if I wanted to would have to add cards to my account again and wait for them to verify etc at least a week. 

13 minutes ago, big dendrobenaes said:

HAVE you ever heard of WESTERN UNION......99 baht to send money !!!!

I am sending money to the US, I am from Australia and whilst I think we have Western Union it's not something people commonly use or are aware of. Many on TV seem to assume everyone is from the States. I have heard of Western Union, never used them, not even sure if we have an office where I live or if can be done on line. 

19 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

You should be able to have him if he is a merchant charge your credit card in Australia.  Otherwise just open a Paypal account.  They are free and only take a few minutes to set up.  

He's a private guy by the way

Just now, Gsxrnz said:

Open a USD account in Wise.  Convert or buy the appropriate amount in wise from your domestic currency to USD.  Get his bank details and pay him from your USD Wise account.

I do use wise, mainly to bring money into Thailand from Australia but thought maybe <$20 maybe to little an amount for them. Are there minimum transfer values?

5 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I do use wise, mainly to bring money into Thailand from Australia but thought maybe <$20 maybe to little an amount for them. Are there minimum transfer values?

No minimum.  Well, maybe $1 minimum and the fee will cripple you as a percentage, but USD20 should be about 60 cents commission/charge.

Edited by Gsxrnz