Where To Practice Driving In Pattaya?

english_farang_lady

Trying to locate some large flat open ground on which to teach my son the rudiments of driving. The place we took him to teach him how to ride a bike looks like it has been sold.

We went there first, and while sitting explaining the controls to him, a Thai man came up to us, and in pidgin English explained we could not do it. I offered to pay, but he said no. The area is set up one end as the obstacle course, with tyres and cones, the other is flat and empty.

Seem to remember a huge empty space in Jomtien somewhere when we went out one Sunday looking for a Quad racing circuit (by following signs). But we never found it. Did find this huge area.

Ideally a disused landing strip, but no-where I know in Pattaya. My dad taught me at the (then) tiny

Biggin Hill airfield.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Large car park opposite the Lake at Wat Yaan is often used for driving instruction, can't miss it there is a large elephant gate in the middle of the usually empty car park. Can also walk across and feed the catfish in the lake when the driving gets too hairy.

Failing that what about the Large area at Marbachan on the lakeside marked out with tires to form roads. Lots of people go there to practice.

Could this be the famed "driving street?" Only Mobi will know......

Hi Rimmer - Thanks a million! Where is Wat Yaan please ?

Your second suggestion, the land beside Mabprachan Reservoir is the place (at the top of Siam Country Club Road, on the left, opposite a temple) we went to since it is marked out with tyres and cones. Seen plenty of people there learning.

I think the land may have been bought, because we were told to leave (which we did).

Grateful for any further info.

Trying to locate some large flat open ground on which to teach my son the rudiments of driving. The place we took him to teach him how to ride a bike looks like it has been sold.

We went there first, and while sitting explaining the controls to him, a Thai man came up to us, and in pidgin English explained we could not do it. I offered to pay, but he said no. The area is set up one end as the obstacle course, with tyres and cones, the other is flat and empty.

Seem to remember a huge empty space in Jomtien somewhere when we went out one Sunday looking for a Quad racing circuit (by following signs). But we never found it. Did find this huge area.

Ideally a disused landing strip, but no-where I know in Pattaya. My dad taught me at the (then) tiny

Biggin Hill airfield.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Why not practice on the roads like everyone else :o

Hi,a realy good place to learn/teach driving skills is the sports centre carpark at soi chayapuk 2.its off the sukhumvit highway,going sattahip direction.not too far to drive to and a massive carpark,most times i took my son there to drive a pickup it has been virtualy empty,there are nearly always other people doing the same thing,but theres enough space there for many.also good because you using the lines on parking bays to learn to reverse into.

Closest to the Mabprachan area:

Drive from the lake towards Naklua. At the Soi Crocodile junction (7/11 on the corner) turn left and then after about 200 meter turn right into a small soi. There's a sign with something like "prestige" villa or something...

About 100 meter into this soi on the left hand side they have a training area similar to the one opposite the temple at the lake...

There used to be a place up on the Sukhumvit, roughly opposite the Cholchan Hotel, turn in by the Mercedes showroom on the southbound carriageway.

It was the start of a small moo-baan that never got built, but had a small grid of roads made. Lots of people used to go there, there were some cones set out for reverse parking etc. It was quite good but never out of second gear!

Not sure if the land is still empty now though as I last used it a couple of years ago.

cheers

You mean people actually have taken lessons here?

If so, try Soi Bukharo (sp.?), around 7 pm on a Saturday night.

And if in Bangkok, I would recommend some of the sidestreets near the Bayoke Sky Hotel...

Edited by Weho

Closest to the Mabprachan area:

Drive from the lake towards Naklua. At the Soi Crocodile junction (7/11 on the corner) turn left and then after about 200 meter turn right into a small soi. There's a sign with something like "prestige" villa or something...

About 100 meter into this soi on the left hand side they have a training area similar to the one opposite the temple at the lake...

what about the parking lot at Lake Maprachan Resort?