Bangkok To Luang Prabang

I want to go up there in the next month or two for a couple of nights via car.

I figure if I leave BKK at 4pm on a Friday, I can make it to either Udon Thani or Nong Khai in about 6-7 hours. Sleep over night there.

Crossing the border at 8am...1 hour to cross, 4-5 hours from Veintiene to Luang Prabang. Be there by mid afternoon on Saturday...Thoughts?

I want to go up there in the next month or two for a couple of nights via car.

I figure if I leave BKK at 4pm on a Friday, I can make it to either Udon Thani or Nong Khai in about 6-7 hours. Sleep over night there.

Crossing the border at 8am...1 hour to cross, 4-5 hours from Veintiene to Luang Prabang. Be there by mid afternoon on Saturday...Thoughts?

No chances of Vte - LPQ in 4-5 hrs unless you’ve got a Ferrari, are M. Schumacher, AND know the road.

Vte - LPQ = approx 380 kms & takes approx 7 hrs, 6 racing if you know the road.

Vte - Vang Vieng is approx 3 hrs fast non-stop.

VV - LPQ is approx 3 1/2 - 4 hrs, fast non-stop.

If you've never done it before, stop in Vang Vieng on the way up, then have a crack at it non-stop on the return.

R13 Vte - LPQ is arguably S E Asia's greatest m/cycle road. It's better than the Mae Hong Son loop, higher, better scenery & views. More hill tribe villages.

But you have to drive on the right, in a R hand drive vehicle, so it gets a bit tricky in the tight twisting mountain roads where you cant see around any corners safely.

R7 Phou Khoun - Phonsavan is an even better road / drive than R13, as it flows & winds a lot more, plus is an excellent road surface. (A bit of a racetrack for bikers.)

If there's heavy cloud cover then you are more than likely going to be in the wet most of the time, with poor visibility & slippery conditions = takes more time.

Allow at least 2 nights in LPQ. It's silly to drive all that way to just turn around & come back the next day!

Pick up a GT Rider Laos map in Vte (at AVR Rental / Scandinavian Bakery) to have all the right kms & know exactly where you are.

Take care, keep to the right & enjoy the drive.

You are far bolder than I am ... with reduced fares to Luang Prabang there's NO WAY! I'd do it overland!

We drove in Laos for 3 days and were stopped for tea money 4 times :o The red ferrari was not the reason .... err I mean Honda Jazz! ... the Thai tags and the TH sticker in both windows were though!

What's the sensible border/mekong crossing point if starting in the north (chiang mai/rai)? Is the road in Laos to LPQ ok for a car (ie not a pick up or a suv)? Is the frontier paperwork tolerable?

In the North you only have Chiang khong (T) / Huay Xai (L).

Cross the Mekong by car / truck ferry.

From Huay Xai its 180 odd kms to Luang Nam Tha.

There should only be about 70 kms of dirt left, but I would not recommend this in a car in the wet season. And maybe, & only maybe, is the dirt is ok in the dry season for a car.

The Thai / Lao border crossings are

1. Chiang Khong (T) / Huay Sai (L)

2. Thai Li (T) / Nam Hueng (L)

3. Nong Khai (T) / Friendship Bridge, Vientiane (L)

4. Bung Kan (T) / Pakxan (L)

5. Mukdahan (T) / Savannakhet (L)

6. Nakhon Phanom (T) / Tha Khek (L)

7. Chong Mek (T) / Vang Tao, Pakse (L)

Temporary import papers for a vehicle can be done on arrival at all the Laos border crossings except at Thai Li / Nam Hueng, where you need prior approval.

To get out of Thailand into Laos with your car you need the ownership book, plus an ITP International Transport Permit.

Check out the GT Rider Crossing Bordersfor more info.

Plus for Road & Trip Reports with lots of photos in Laos take a look at the Lao Forum of the GT Rider board.

You are far bolder than I am ... with reduced fares to Luang Prabang there's NO WAY! I'd do it overland!

We drove in Laos for 3 days and were stopped for tea money 4 times :o The red ferrari was not the reason .... err I mean Honda Jazz! ... the Thai tags and the TH sticker in both windows were though!

interesting. Where did you get stung? Was it for much?

Also, who are the cheap airfares through? BKK airways is 22K for for 2 people. That aint cheap.

It would probably cost a lot less to fly if you bought a round-trip to Udon Thani on AirAsia, go to Vientiane, then get a roundtrip on Lao Airlines to LPQ.

absolutely, but the scenery between Vientiene and Luang Prabang is supposed to be stunning. I'm an Aussie, 900km in a session is no big deal.