uk personal tax account

chang50

1 minute ago, lungbing said:

I downloaded the HMRC app today but the first time you log on you need the access code.  It never arrived.  I'm om DTAC.

If you can't get an access code you can use two out of three options to confirm your ID.  1st is your passport, second is something to do with your credit card, or perhaps credit rating and the third is a Northern Ireland driving license.  I only qualify for the passport check and one out of three isn't good enough so I won't bother. 

I did the same with the same result.A friend of mine can apparently access the app with his fingerprint but I have no idea how to set that up.

50 minutes ago, lungbing said:

I downloaded the HMRC app today but the first time you log on you need the access code.  It never arrived.  I'm om DTAC.

If you can't get an access code you can use two out of three options to confirm your ID.  1st is your passport, second is something to do with your credit card, or perhaps credit rating and the third is a Northern Ireland driving license.  I only qualify for the passport check and one out of three isn't good enough so I won't bother. 

Sounds like you went to the PO Verify site. My passport didn't pass muster with them, nor did my credit history despite giving addresses, going back to 1991 until leaving UK in 2009, of homes I'd held mortgages etc. etc. etc. on - they couldn't find any credit history for me. Driving licence passed the test though but just one approved item is no good. So an overall 'FAIL' and there's no second chance.

I'm presuming you already have a Personal Tax Account (PTA). Install the app. on your phone and try to sign on your computer - simply because it's bigger than a phone and easier to work on. The appearance of the app. is almost an exact replica of that on your com. so it should be familiar. You won't get the 6-digit access code but somewhere below the box you'd normally enter your code there's something like "Cannot receive code". Click on that and it'll take you to "Change the way you receive your code" or similar. Select "Use Authenticator or App ..... ", the last option IIRC. You'll have to provide passport and UK address for a credit history check but, after providing exactly the same info I sent to PO Verify and they failed to verify, everything was approved in minutes and I could sign in with my original Govt. Gateway information.

Once the app. is up and running, open app. on the phone and PTA page on your com. together and sign in on both app. and com. - both use the same log-in info. Your PTA on your com. will ask you to enter the 6-digit number displayed on the app. Do  that and you should be flying.

I'm sure there are small steps I've not included here but when I was going through the process, I was a bit confused and ******* annoyed at having to go through all that performance so it didn't all register in my memory precisely. Almost certainly there are holes in what I've said here that you'll have to fill yourself but I don't think they'll be big ones.

But if I can do it, I'm sure you can too. Good luck.

Edited by MartinL

26 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Just tried logging on to my tax account via a web browser using an access code sent via SMS (DTAC network) and it is now working again. This was not working yesterday.

Me too on AIS that's one less thing to worry about lol..

On 11/30/2021 at 12:48 PM, Orinoco said:

I talked to the DWP the other day as paid a voluntary pension payment back in April, still not updated, was told wait 2 more months !!!!!!!!!!!

oh well.

You need to phone HMRC on 0300 200 3500.

And they will update your NI payment manually.

They told me to wait 3 weeks after the payment then call them, which I did.

After I called them my contribution record (gateway) was updated within the hour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pattaya1234was said:

I believe you can also get the access code by using a UK mobile-not Thai.

Correct - that's how I obtain the code these days. Using a Thai SIM for this purpose (again AIS in my case) was always hit-and-miss in my experience prior to switching to a UK SIM (giffgaff).