How to calculate interest?

ilikethai

Interest calculated (and paid) per annum, not capitalized.

You can also find USD term deposits that will pay around 7,5% pa for a 5y tenor. Much easier to liquidate. Check, for instance, what Indochina Bank has to offer.

Edited by shadowofacloud
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ilikethai said:

I just had a chat with a guy from Laos and his farang wife.  I just found out something new I was told Laos calculate their interest differently and trickery. Lol.  anyway this is very confusing for my old fart brain but I really need to invest to guard inflation.

Are you in or from the U.S. ?  If you are then the I-bonds sure do appear to be very good for that purpose, the downsides being that the rates can go both up and down with inflation, and the annual purchase limit. 

• Thanks 1

One additional note ilikethai as you consider investment options, and that is this, prompted by your mention of trickery:   if anyone tries to sell you an annuity, hide your wallet and run!   

Edited by ChrisP24
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ChrisP24 said:

One additional note ilikethai as you consider investment options, and that is this, prompted by your mention of trickery:   if anyone tries to sell you an annuity, hide your wallet and run!   

Ok you got me scared.  I'll save up to buy myself beer and you know the rest.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Despite 8%/year seeming high, this is not really a good investment due to the constant devaluation of the kip. Furthermore, if you do want to maintain some savings in kip as I have been doing for several years with a small part of my portfolio, an option that pays higher interest at 12% for a 24 month fixed deposit account is Ekkaphatana Microfinance Institute. They were started with support from the World Bank in 2005 and so I consider them quite safe and have been happy with the service. They can transfer your interest to your BCEL account every month also.