Possibility of working at universities 60+

Yes it's possible depending on your experience and education, but of course one does need to have a good fit for what they're looking for.

The availability of current open positions for foreigners is a different matter.

I'm not aware of any general resource for such vacancies, but the unis often do advertise such positions on their individual web sites.

Just now, TheScience said:

Whenever I've checked their websites the links are often broken, the email bounces.

Sorry to hear that.

I haven't spent a lot of time on the various websites, but I was looking at doing a PhD programme a while back for fun lol to keep the old grey matter ticking over, and I din't find any problems myself, and they were super-responsive on email.

Just pick the unis you are interested in or the faculties, if you don't get any joy from email, try phoning.

That's all I can suggest really. Cheers.

Yes, it's theoretically possible for an hourly-paid part-time position.

This would mean getting some teaching hours for 14-weeks for two semesters, for example 3-hours per week. How realistic this is another questions, depending on your circumstances.

It's highly unlikely to obtain a full-time position above 55/60 years of age, as this is the retirement age on private/ public universities. At this age faculty members are forced  out or providing they played the politics game well transition into part-time or emeritus positions. Your leverage around this at private (or autonomous public) may vary, but would  probably require serious internal support or external credentials (beyond "just" a PhD/ average  publications).

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Morakot said:

This would mean getting some teaching hours for 14-weeks for two semesters, for example 3-hours per week. How realistic this is another questions, depending on your circumstances.

It's highly unlikely to obtain a full-time position above 55/60 years of age, as this is the retirement age on private/ public universities. At this age faculty members are forced  out or providing they played the politics game well transition into part-time or emeritus positions. Your leverage around this at private (or autonomous public) may vary, but would  probably require serious internal support or external credentials (beyond "just" a PhD/ average  publications).

Indeed so.  This country would rather suffer sub standard teaching than employ farang experts, be they older or not. Some companies here make no secret of laying off females around the age of 40, as they don't fit the profile that the company wishes to project.  All very 1930s. 

• Like 2

Well pard.. it is an all depends situation.. I had to retired at 60 then I found another position and according to their policies I had to retire at 62.   Good luck.  Free style it, seems private lessons and thesis edits are available during the season.

Cheers mate.. Actually happy not to be teaching right now.. the online situation is not the best and many of the ADM folks want blood from rocks..

I'm very well paid teaching HS but I'm quite burned out.

I know for a fact Chula won't take a teacher on after 60. No idea about part time but seriously doubt it. As FT seems to be often half the hours of high school PT is not worth my trouble.

Also leery about office hours especially PT.

Maybe will end up in Krabi in a few years.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by TheScience
  • Like 1

A few years ago I met a guy over 70 who was teaching two courses at AIT and two courses at nearby U, whose name I have forgotten. His specialty was aviation engineering. He said his monthly living expenses were covered by doing these jobs, leaving his pension for all the extras in his life. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

6 hours ago, thaipara said:

his monthly living expenses were covered by doing these jobs, leaving his pension for all the extras in his life. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

I'm making good money and no doubt I'll take a huge hit leaving but you reach a point where you know it's time to go. When the institution is nothing but frustration generated by constant confusion and endless unpaid administrative work.

It's very difficult to think about giving up this money (not job). At face value one would think I was crazy. Yet, at some point you realize you just simply cannot go on and you're working in extra 10 hours a week doing mindless admin activities.

When I studied at Chula around 2008 (MA in Thai Studies), there was a 'farang' lecturer who must have been in his 80's.  He had a driver who helped him up the steps and looked after him until he finished his lecturers.  Maybe he was someone important to be kept on at such an advanced age ????

BTW, from your user name, I assume you teach science subjects?  I'm almost 63 years old, and have a full (that's 7 days a week) timetable teaching science online to private students worldwide.  Perhaps you should consider online teaching?

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

When I studied at Chula around 2008 (MA in Thai Studies), there was a 'farang' lecturer who must have been in his 80's.  He had a driver who helped him up the steps and looked after him until he finished his lecturers.  Maybe he was someone important to be kept on at such an advanced age ????

BTW, from your user name, I assume you teach science subjects?  I'm almost 63 years old, and have a full (that's 7 days a week) timetable teaching science online to private students worldwide.  Perhaps you should consider online teaching?

You've got to get into Chula before 60. For me the offer was too slow start with a few hours and build. The money was great after you'd hit a full load but until then it was way below what I was and now am making.

I don't teach science ????

I'm not crazy about teaching online although I'm fine with technology. A huge reason I'm even teaching is to get out of the house.

Thanks

If you have a PhD and experience in teaching and have some published research papers, most Thai universities would snap you up right away, regardless of your age.

Universities are rated on the percent of their faculty with PhDs and the number of papers published.  If you can make those numbers look better, you will be a real prize for them!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2021 at 9:13 PM, Morakot said:

At Mahidol (public autonomous), full time multiyear contracts at the university level are not available, but yearly renewals are possible and also individual faculties may employ people to yearly contracts.  Between 60-70 they can receive 1 years contracts provided they have a reasonable academic production.  Beyond 70 they can continue with 1 year contracts but the academic production has to be demonstrated to be high (or impact, or thesis advising impact, or reputation impact).  It happens all the time.  Many will retire from one university at 60 and go to teach at another for many years beyond that age.  Maybe my university is "progressive" in this regard - i can't be sure, because I don't pay much attention to other university policies. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...