Jack's Golf... Uggggggghhhhh...

I just returned from a trip to Ban Laem with Jack's Golf. It was a horrible experience for many reasons. It was my first and last time with Jack's Golf. I'll stick with thaivisarun in the future.

The problems:

1. Last week I called and asked if a train ticket to Butterworth, Malaysia would suffice for the onward ticket requirement. They said it would. Today, first thing on the bus, they tell me that the train ticket is not acceptable, and force me to buy a worthless "bus" ticket from Ban Laem to Siem Reap for 200 baht. What a scam! Surely my genuine international train ticket is worth more than a blatantly fake "bus" ticket dated the same day I entered Thailand.

2. Annoying, loud-mouthed employee on the bus, spewing out tired one-liners and just being generally obnoxious and unpleasant when everyone wanted to sleep. A border run does not need a commentary or repeated explanation over a microphone.

3. 90 minutes at the border is far too long! Everyone had to get their foot massage and eat a crappy buffet lunch, so instead of cruising back to Bangkok we stayed in that dump for an hour and a half.

4. Thirty minutes into the return trip, the bus broke down. Now, you would think big-mouth would have taken the opportunity to shout at us all again to explain what was happening. But for 40 minutes, SILENCE, no explanation at all as we waited patiently in the bus at a gas station. Then one of the workers stands up and explains that another bus is on the way, we would just need to wait 15 minutes.

Well, that 15 minutes actually meant 2 HOURS, and by bus he meant mini-van, which we barely managed to squeeze 16 people inside.

5. Now, after waiting more than 2 1/2 hours, we were ready to load into the mini-van. At this point, the cheeky, big mouthed employee takes the opportunity to apologize for the delay. She then goes on to say she has something more to ask us. I thought she was going to offer us free snacks or maybe even a discount on our next visa run. But guess what? She asked us to tip the bus driver, because he would have to wait with the bus rather than return to Bangkok. Tip? After waiting so long? Absolutely ridiculous.

6. So after more than 2 1/2 hours we finally get on the road again. But no, we had to stop 100 meters down the road to "change drivers." 10 minutes later, we hit the road again, but only to stop 1k down the road to get who-knows-what from some shop there. Another 1k down the road we stop again, this time to repair a flat tire. Another 20 minutes and we're finally on the road.

So, a simple border run which should take maybe 8 or 9 hours with a decent visa run company ended up taking 13 HOURS. How did Jack's Golf get to be so popular offering such utterly crap service? He's certainly lost my business.

Thank you for reading my rant. I feel much better now.

Edited by jeebusjones

So, a simple border run which should take maybe 8 or 9 hours with a decent visa run company ended up taking 13 HOURS. How did Jack's Golf get to be so popular offering such utterly crap service? He's certainly lost my business.

Thank you for reading my rant. I feel much better now.

Did you end up tipping the bus driver?

In reality you really can't blame a visa run company for having a breakdown. These things do happen from time to time.

3. 90 minutes at the border is far too long! Everyone had to get their foot massage and eat a crappy buffet lunch, so instead of cruising back to Bangkok we stayed in that dump for an hour and a half.

Do you expect the world to go at the beat of your drum?

Guess Jack's has to realize that it takes much more than just bringing people to the border.

Never liked Jack's , but since they changed the rules Jack's seems not being able to keep the service level, my friends keep staying away from them also because everytime the staff is new/do not know any thing about visa, etc .

My friends keep using thaivisarun from Ekamai or thaivisaservive from On Nut.

These guys can offer also real visahelp/assistance and their vehicles are new and comfortable.

Edited by Eugen

Did you end up tipping the bus driver?

In reality you really can't blame a visa run company for having a breakdown. These things do happen from time to time.

No, I don't think anyone tipped him. I understand it's not really the company's fault that the bus broke down. But they could have handled the situation in a much better way.

The rental company where they got the new van was literally 100 meters further down the road. So why did we have to wait three hours? That place had about 3-4 more vans just sitting in the parking lot.

QUOTE(jeebusjones @ 2007-06-06 21:39:15)

Do you expect the world to go at the beat of your drum?

No, but I've used other companies that only stopped for 30-40 minutes. Even Jack's says they will only stop for 60. So why did it end up taking 90? I don't think anyone was happy about that.

but relax you should be at the end of your visa exempt runs soon!

You're probably right about that. I guess there is an upside to the new restrictions.

I also did a visa run with Jack Golf last month where what the company told me did NOT mesh with what the Thai border guards told me. ie: Jack Golf said a plane ticket out of Thailand within 90 days was fine (it wasn't - the border guards were insisting on 30 day plane tickets).

The trip also took a LOOONG time, with more than 90 minutes at the border (it usually takes less than 45).

Still, I've used them about 3 or 4 times before over the last few years and have always been happy with them, so I'll probably use them one more time before I leave for the US in a few weeks time.

Last week I called and asked if a train ticket to Butterworth, Malaysia would suffice for the onward ticket requirement. They said it would. Today, first thing on the bus, they tell me that the train ticket is not acceptable, and force me to buy a worthless "bus" ticket from Ban Laem to Siem Reap for 200 baht. What a scam! Surely my genuine international train ticket is worth more than a blatantly fake "bus" ticket dated the same day I entered Thailand.

You're right, it IS! Respectfully you should have just stood-up to whomever at Jacks gave you this disinformation as in the following post:

Just Returned From Pong Nam Ron, Cambodian checkpoint Chantaburi province A.K.A. ban laem

...which you were a contributor to, you will see that cali4995 wrote a very detailed report ("Thank you" cali4995 :o) on this matter.

In closing then, does anyone know of any other services - such as Jacks and if possible have associated phone numbers and/or URLs please? :D

In closing then, does anyone know of any other services - such as Jacks and if possible have associated phone numbers and/or URLs please? :o

In the past I almost always used Thai Visa Run. Excellent, efficient service. Never any problems and always on schedule. It departs from Ekkamai at 9:30am and returns at 5:30-6.00pm. They give you lunch on the bus, so there is very little time wasted at the border. Always goes to Ban Laem.

The number is 0890245255.

The only other company left doing VisaRun's is Thaivisaservice from On Nut , depart 8am , return 5.15pm. Fast and reliable as well. Goes to Ban Laem only.

Tel 081-8154803.

Both companies , www.thaivisarun.com and www.thaivisaservice.com , are recommendable.

Both companies owners can also give you reliable info about current Visarules.

Edited by Eugen

i have used jack golf on a few occasions and have never had a problem at all. i always found the staff to be polite and they looked after me very well. ive nothing but praise for them.

i have used jack golf on a few occasions and have never had a problem at all. i always found the staff to be polite and they looked after me very well. ive nothing but praise for them.

I have had the same experiences with them donna ... nothing but praise for them!

i must admit my last one was about 18 mths ago. perhaps my good experience was due to the fact that there was a cute boy working on the bus who used to chat and flirt with me - still calls me to this day!

but seriously, i never had any problems with jacks golf.

Donna and jdinasia ,

when was your good expereince with Jacks,must be years back.

Many of my friends are or already have switched to another VisaRun Company due to various reason.

I think my last time was in December ..... can't remember for sure ... happened to be in BKK and had to make a 90 day jaunt

i just cant understand why people use these companies. what is wrong with just going yourself??? i understand that some newbies probably need there hands holding ,but once you understand the border routine ,its hardly rocket science. benefits include going at a time of your choosing, much cheaper and no waiting at the border for a van full of people to sort their shit out.

i just cant understand why people use these companies. what is wrong with just going yourself??? i understand that some newbies probably need there hands holding ,but once you understand the border routine ,its hardly rocket science. benefits include going at a time of your choosing, much cheaper and no waiting at the border for a van full of people to sort their shit out.

:o Do you drive yourself?

Yes it is cheaper but rarely less time to do it on your own if you are using public transportation. Not however THAT much cheaper when you balance out NOT having to deal with the Cambodian side of the border. Clear exit immigration at the Thai side of the border ... hand the Jack Golf employee your passport ... go sit and have a meal and a drink ... maybe play the slots for 20 minutes ... then walk back over .. clear the Thai side again .. sit on a better bus than the public ones ... and ride back to town.

Add to that if I NEVER see Poipet again that will be a very good thing!

:o Do you drive yourself?

Yes it is cheaper but rarely less time to do it on your own if you are using public transportation. Not however THAT much cheaper when you balance out NOT having to deal with the Cambodian side of the border. Clear exit immigration at the Thai side of the border ... hand the Jack Golf employee your passport ... go sit and have a meal and a drink ... maybe play the slots for 20 minutes ... then walk back over .. clear the Thai side again .. sit on a better bus than the public ones ... and ride back to town.

Add to that if I NEVER see Poipet again that will be a very good thing!

i didnt say quicker JD. quicker at the border , yes,but not for the whole day,i used to use the bus if i just wanted a 30 day.have used the train ,very cheap ,but a long day. i just find it much nicer than being told go here go there,i dont like having my hand held. have to agree about poipet ,though thankfully havnt had to resort to that for a few years.

i just cant understand why people use these companies. what is wrong with just going yourself???

My first year in Thailand I did border runs by myself. It is not really any cheaper, and it is much slower also.

Example:

Expenses Going Alone

150 Baht from my apt to Mo Chit BTS X 2 =300

Roughly 200 baht for ticket to Aranyapratet X 2 = 400

60 Baht for motorcycle from bus station to border X 2 = 120

1,000 for visa

Total 1,820 baht.

Expense with a visa run company:

2,000 baht for everything

25 baht for BTS X 2

So, it's a couple of hundred baht cheaper to go alone. But as jdinasia pointed out, using a tour saves you the hassle of dealing with the Cambodian officials alone. Plus, one of the biggest draws for me is that they go to Ban Laem and not Poipet, again as jdinasia noted.

As far as the time, it's usually much faster to go with a company. When I used to go alone, which was probably 15 or so times, the trip would take about 13-14 hours total.

With an efficient visa run company, like Thai Visa Run (NOT Jack's), the trip would take under 9 hours. So using a company should be a big time saver and stress reliever, and not really any different in price.

Edited by jeebusjones

i just cant understand why people use these companies. what is wrong with just going yourself???

My first year in Thailand I did border runs by myself. It is not really any cheaper, and it is much slower also.

Example:

Expenses Going Alone

1,000 for visa

Total 1,820 baht.

25 baht for BTS X 2

So, it's a couple of hundred baht cheaper to go alone. But as jdinasia pointed out, using a tour saves you the hassle of dealing with the Cambodian officials alone. Plus, one of the biggest draws for me is that they go to Ban Laem and not Poipet, again as jdinasia noted.

As far as the time, it's usually much faster to go with a company. When I used to go alone, which was probably 15 or so times, the trip would take about 13-14 hours total.

With an efficient visa run company, like Thai Visa Run (NOT Jack's), the trip would take under 9 hours. So using a company should be a big time saver and stress reliever, and not really any different in price.

:D

if I am in BKK and don't fl;y somewhere in July I'll let you know what JackGolf is like ...

considering all the twists that have been thrown at borders recently I don't know that you can blame a company for having info one day that changed the next when they got there!

as I have only used them and one of the 2 that you mentioned <and not that often as I usually fly somewhere instead of doing border hops> and found Jack Golf to be by far superior! <again last time I think was dec ... that is in my old passport so I cannot be sure of the date though :o.

Since I have NOT been getting 30 day stamps I have had far fewer issues than it seems visarunners are having these days!

considering all the twists that have been thrown at borders recently I don't know that you can blame a company for having info one day that changed the next when they got there!

That's true JD but considering Jacks does this as a business and goes to the Cambodian border everyday, they should have a better handle so that customers; such as jeebusjones don't get browbeaten by disinformation. Said disinformation has cost jeebusjones time and money plus in another instance an aquaintance from a previous trip bought a non-refundable air ticket costing ฿4,500 on again, bad advice from Jacks! :D

IMHO Jacks just needs to be a better advocate for its customers (and drop the "mei pen rai" attitude :o) instead of just seeing Baht signs before their eyes; ker-ching, ker-ching. :D

Example:

Expenses Going Alone

1,000 for visa

Total 1,820 baht.

25 baht for BTS X 2

Did my 90 day run last Friday on JackGolf. They only charged me Bt 1800 so the price seems to have gone down.

They didn't fill in my visa number on the TM form, and I didnt clock it either, so the Immigration guy shouted at me, complaining that it was my job and a waste of his time having to fill it in for me. Just apologised and looked sorry

Not been there for a while and the queue to enter Thailand consisted of about 10 of us, queued up indoors with aircon. Much better than a 45min - 1 hour queue out in the sun, as it was the last time I did one.

So you have 1 bad day! Obviously you are not a person who lives here all the time or you would know how much patience it takes to have a normal day in Thailand. I have been with Jack Golf many, many times and only 1 break down. They do go everyday and i bet next time you go is without drama. Just another tourist. Drama Queen.

So you have 1 bad day! Obviously you are not a person who lives here all the time or you would know how much patience it takes to have a normal day in Thailand. I have been with Jack Golf many, many times and only 1 break down. They do go everyday and i bet next time you go is without drama. Just another tourist. Drama Queen.

Actually I've been living here for about 3 years. I've done visa runs with other companies many times and never had a problem.

I haven't used Jack's for about a year, but whenever I did I never had any problems aside from one break down. The girls on the mic are generally annoying but I think they must get pretty bored of doing that same run every single day, so you can forgive them for trying to lighten the (their) mood a little. To be honest, I don't know what people expect. They take you there, they bring you back.

I never had any problems with Jack Golf. They always take good care of me.

And give the driver a 20 baht tip, he works hard for low pay.

I bet You will have one with this company very soon, all jack's buses are over one million mileage, ask them if you don't believe me, and that is the problem of all these old companies, old service, old equipment. Edited by Isaanlover

I feel sick to my stomach to admit it but..................oh! god forgive me...........I agree with JDINASIA. There I said it.

I have done the visa run myself and yes it is 500ish baht cheaper but I am happy to pay it to one of jacks boys to do the legwork for me.

Jacks is a decent service as far as I am concerned. However, if every 90 days you are unable to arrange/afford a trip to Singapore/Penang/Myanamr/Vietnam/Bejing or someplace. Then you should work a little harder.

i must go and lie down and come to terms with the first line of my post.

Edited by DirkGently