Microsoft Word question....

RickG16

Normally when I use UK English words and they end up underlined in red I right click and click on add to dictionary.

There are some words that I simply can't spell correctly and for those, again I right click and choose the correct spelling.

I also spell check as I write and correct as I go along. The alternative is complete the post and go back to each underlined word and correct them.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Normally when I use UK English words and they end up underlined in red I right click and click on add to dictionary.

There are some words that I simply can't spell correctly and for those, again I right click and choose the correct spelling.

I also spell check as I write and correct as I go along. The alternative is complete the post and go back to each underlined word and correct them.

All of what you say is right, but still annoying. The point being that I don't want to go back and correct them!

I've removed US English from the list of options completely so let's see if that works. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

All of what you say is right, but still annoying. The point being that I don't want to go back and correct them!

I've removed US English from the list of options completely so let's see if that works. 

I have got so used to it, that its annoyance factor doesn't bother me any more. 

I just do it without thinking about it. I have a wireless mouse and a wireless keyboard and the keyboard sometimes misses letters out and often puts 2 or 3 letters in place of 1. It also misses characters often. I have cleared about 5 mistakes in this post alone. 

I'm using Word Office 365 for writing letters in German or in English with the thesaurus installed for both languages.

Starting a new document I select first the language pack ( and keyboard-layout) for the wished letter-language. English letter:
Sprache1.jpg.0ce79b9e740e1b4cf9fb18676b16c166.jpg

If you now type a mixed English/German text, the result will be:Sprache2.jpg.96d64ab7b3613e0f42e6626cffce4718.jpg

German letter:

image.png.7fc298c7894219f9152fa3805b7e8dcd.png

Typing mixed English/German text result:

image.png.657f6fba5300db075989a09074437f1a.png

Hope, I could help you!
Stay save!

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have a wireless mouse and a wireless keyboard and the keyboard sometimes misses letters out and often puts 2 or 3 letters in place of 1. It also misses characters often. I have cleared about 5 mistakes in this post alone. 

Time for a new keyboard I think!  And if you are using the PC on an office desk....WHY wireless.

9 hours ago, fangless said:

Change/Install your Windows language to "English (UK)" and remove (USA)!

You mean for the whole of Windows, rather than just Word?

I have removed US English from the Languages options in Word. So now it's only UK English and that is on default.

But when I look at Proofing in options, it is still set to US English, and there is no obvious way to change this (the box is greyed out and I can't click on it)

Cheers

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

You mean for the whole of Windows, rather than just Word?

I have removed US English from the Languages options in Word. So now it's only UK English and that is on default.

But when I look at Proofing in options, it is still set to US English, and there is no obvious way to change this (the box is greyed out and I can't click on it)

Cheers

And that is because  there is this insidious degradation of the varyants of Englesh  that  must eventually  akommidate the dictate of Merica kunt roll of lang wage and munikayshuns .

• Confused 1

This post was a timely reminder.  I just installed Office 21 on a new computer and hadn't updated the language settings.  It's quite simple for this version, at least.

Initially it was set to US English by default, so my "proper" spelling of colour and civilisation are underlined:

image.png.718f26357fc5ae98e69f6135f0421bca.png

Go to the Proofing section on the right hand pane (should pop-up when you click the "Spelling and Grammar" button under the "Review" tab).

image.png.04f1a1fda02c620c1b739bfa85caac4e.png

image.png.20562555bb79277433d5643d2757a7bd.png

Select the blue text "English (United States) above, and the following will pop-up:

image.png.976c5bbaf4b29aeae6c94c280c98c0d4.png

Choose the desired language and click the "Set as Default" button. Click "Yes" on the pop-up window.

image.png.4143825768471bbd95fc0b918a2ca6f6.png

image.png.52d598a6aa7edae087d3dd30b608fdce.png

Click OK.

Proper spelling is now left alone, while misspelled words like "labor" are marked.

image.png.bd0921aeec8031e137611cd9a91f430f.png

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

This post was a timely reminder.  I just installed Office 21 on a new computer and hadn't updated the language settings.  It's quite simple for this version, at least.

Initially it was set to US English by default, so my "proper" spelling of colour and civilisation are underlined:

image.png.718f26357fc5ae98e69f6135f0421bca.png

Go to the Proofing section on the right hand pane (should pop-up when you click the "Spelling and Grammar" button under the "Review" tab).

image.png.04f1a1fda02c620c1b739bfa85caac4e.png

image.png.20562555bb79277433d5643d2757a7bd.png

Select the blue text "English (United States) above, and the following will pop-up:

image.png.976c5bbaf4b29aeae6c94c280c98c0d4.png

Choose the desired language and click the "Set as Default" button. Click "Yes" on the pop-up window.

image.png.4143825768471bbd95fc0b918a2ca6f6.png

image.png.52d598a6aa7edae087d3dd30b608fdce.png

Click OK.

Proper spelling is now left alone, while misspelled words like "labor" are marked.

image.png.bd0921aeec8031e137611cd9a91f430f.png

Thanks I appreciate it.... But when you open up a new document do you have the same problem?

Ideally I'd like it to just to stay on UK English

20 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Thanks I appreciate it.... But when you open up a new document do you have the same problem?

Ideally I'd like it to just to stay on UK English

I just restarted Word and began a new document.  The settings have remained as I want them:

image.png.1964311f30204ef5dcab1bab277fb082.png

• Thanks 1