Chiang Mai: Tourism is lively despite Omicron fears

webfact

We stayed in what we thought was Chiang Mai's city center (Le Meridien) from December 5.  Checking out tomorrow.  The hotel seems busy.  Breakfast is crowded.  But, the neighborhood?  It's not lively here.  Many outlets are closed, for rent, or deserted.  Streets around the moat are relatively quiet.  We went to the silver area, the orchid farms, the flower market, and smaller malls (e.g., Maya, The Wall, and others).  Deserted.  Merchants told us.  Little to no business.  Hoping things will pick up.  

The only lively place was Central Festivals.  Crowded.  Lines.  My wife and I thought every one abandoned the local merchants and went to Central Festivals.  

Tourist attraction restaurants and shops were closed even though the tourist attractions were open.  

What did we do?  Watched Netflix and ate.  Le Meridien staff helped us feel at home away from home.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, midorilynn said:

We stayed in what we thought was Chiang Mai's city center (Le Meridien)

This is where we stay whenever visiting CM, they have a nice Club Floor which we use. It may not seem like it but the Meridian is well located. Like other hotels that are busy at this time, they have the location and the facilities local business travellers need, why they get the trade.
If any tourists are coming to the north for relaxation, they'll surely come before the worst of the smoke season, which is already gathering momentum.

• Confused 1

I live in Chiang Mai and I think that the correct word to describe tourism in the city is DEAD rather than lively,  The photo shows about a dozen people standing around at a mostly deserted Thaphae Gate looking at about a dozen pigeons,

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Despite Omicron fears.

The only people spreading Omicron fears are the government and the press.

I am meeting tourists every day. Both International and domestic. People in the tourist industry and outside of it. Friends, neighbours, people in the local towns etc.

No one that I have met has fears about Omicron.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The usual misunderstanding.

The downtown has always been mainly for international tourists. If you stay there now (Le Meridien, Thapae Gate, etc), you will see relatively few tourists. More than zero as it was until recently, but few.

The numbers going up are those of the Bangkokians, and anyone who actually lives in CM can testify that traffic and shopping malls and restaurants outside the downtown are indeed "lively".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arithai12 said:

The usual misunderstanding.

The downtown has always been mainly for international tourists. If you stay there now (Le Meridien, Thapae Gate, etc), you will see relatively few tourists. More than zero as it was until recently, but few.

The numbers going up are those of the Bangkokians, and anyone who actually lives in CM can testify that traffic and shopping malls and restaurants outside the downtown are indeed "lively".

Confirmed--Ive been back in CM for 3 weeks and ride my bike daily around old town....sad to see so many hotels and hostels closed and for rent signs all over....BUT i have noticed a good bit of "fixing up" as if something is brewing.....maybe new owners scooping up on deals..lots of remodeling going on at hotels, some opening..etc,,,,,odd....

Nimman was PACKED tonight---looked like pre covid high season but of course is a thai holiday weekend and nice weather--so local spots booming but quiet in old town areas but have noticed the farang tourists creeping back..also 2nd weekend of walking street was packed last week too...but that was also a thai weekend holiday thing too but a good mix of tourists......and the booze is back as well

• Like 2

Most tourist spots in Thailand still look pretty sad generally as, with the opening, then closing

then opening again, a lot of people are out of money and will not be opening again.  For the travelers

that want to see the old Thailand, they will have to wait at least a few years. My friend in Hua Hin

says that he was pretty shocked to see all the businesses that have closed for good.

Was out in CNX Nimman area tonight--PACKED!!!!!!!

Was like pre covid and the bars were going full blast as I was on soi 5 and full house

traffic horrible as usual.......i just scanned my hand for temp and wrote my # but a thai

gal that met us got a free atk test to enter.....

Thai holiday weekend of course--popped over to old city and was deserted....