Shared drive storage.

herfiehandbag

4 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

you can rent your "Synology" on a data center for as low as 5 USD/mo if you are so worried.

What happens once Dropbox face a major hack and all their backups are deleted? don't think it could happen? just wait ????

Your Synology can do a live sync of your shared drive to any cloud drive for backups. Most NAS don't do that.

Synology is the best solution for small firms with 20 employees or less. Dropbox is a complete heresy in IT infrastructure for a SOHO LAN

So far Dropbox has never had that problem and I have been using it for years, and my NAS certainly has a cloud connection. Its a professional NAS.

2 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

if there is a fire and your laptop is in your home, then you are also done ????

power cut? or ADSL down? yeah that should work fine with your cloud solution ????

Eh, the Idea of cloud is accessing it when your not home. So when im not home I have my laptop with me or if it burns down i can get all data again from dropbox.

I was talking about powercuts at home and ADSL (what an ancient term i got fiber seems your behind a bit)

I am talking about accessing files from an other location at home. That is what dropbox is for. All my files are on Dropbox and on my NAS and on my computer. Not on my laptop though.

• Haha 1

Well I started this thread, and thank you to the couple of you who gave me helpful answers.

The rest - well it has been jolly entertaining having a ringside seat - obviously passions run deep in the IT world! However I am going to "unfollow" it now, as I simply haven't understood most of what you're talking about!

Dropbox is a nomad solution, for not essential files. So why worry about not accessing them for a few hours? not big deal.

Essential files on a Synology on your LAN, even if internet is down, you can still use them. And they are backed up on the cloud when you are away from home or not using files in the middle of the night.

Dropbox is a "hack"

Edited by GrandPapillon

To answer your original question without the pointless bickering, no I wouldn't go near those deals. You will be a named user on somebody else's account and it could disappear at any time. Certainly wouldn't trust it with any important data.

If you want to use cloud storage, do it properly and pay for the service. As mentioned, Microsoft 365 family is pretty good value.

• Thanks 1