Covid Side Effect (Astra)

BBJ

Healthy 49er,  Workout 3-5 times  a week.  Never been admitted hospital other than for broken bones riding off road.  Off to doctors today when my wife returns as I am not fit to drive.

On the 21st of November I received my 2nd dose of Astra.  No issues at all until recently.  A couple of days before the F1 race I started to feel unwell, similar to my sleeping condition (I have insomnia) and put it down to bad sleep.  On the day of the Formula one last week, I decided to try and stay up for it and I was in a really bad way.  Dizzy, bad headache and feeling lethargic all that day.  I put it down to the lack of sleep over the past few days as I've had this feeling on a regular basis.  Since then, I have developed headaches on the right side of my head.  Intermittent shocks, earache and a constant humming sound as though I have just left the Hacienda night club in Manchester, with tinnitus in the background and no taste.  (Tested twice for covid and negative).  Yesterday morning, I developed a slight numbness on the right-side of my face which progressively spread, and now, it as spread to the left.  When I looked in the mirror, my face has dropped.  My mouth is numb as though I have just had an injection from the dentist and felt cumbersome to eat.  If I smile, only one side of my mouth opens.  This morning, at 9:30 I called to my local coffee shop and had to eat the bagel with a knife and fork, and while talking to a friend I felt my right eye lagging.  I now can't close (wink my right eye) in the space of sitting at the coffee shop and leaving an hour later.  I still have the intermittent shocks of pain in my head.

Has anyone experienced this?  Off to docs soon.

Thanks

Edited by BBJ
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BBJ said:

Has anyone experienced this?  Off to docs soon.

May I ask, did you have the AZ in Thailand? And do you know whether it was made in Thailand or not?

Several of my younger Thai colleagues, 25-30 years old, have felt very bad after AZ. Two or three days off work in each case.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, blackprince said:

"Of the 5 million people who received this vaccine, there have been 30 reported cases of blood clots. One case in Denmark was followed by death."

Astra Zeneca is the only vaccine to have a free patent, because Oxford University insisted on this when they agreed to develop the vaccine.

Perhaps that's why some vested interests have been working against it.

Is there any evidence that Pfizer or Moderna have been waging a campaign against it? The Chinese and Russians have been doing so in respect to all vaccines created in the EU and the USA. But I don't know that AZ has been specifically targeted. If so, I suspect it may have something to do with hard feelings about Brexit. But no evidence for that. Sweden actually stopped using the Janssen vaccine even though it's the creation of a Swedish company. Moderna has also been subject to restrictions.

25 minutes ago, blackprince said:

AZ is "thought to have saved about a million lives from Covid."

This article - BBC 8 days ago - gives the latest.

Also, we know there have been storage problems in Thailand (I can't remember which vaccine), and it's very likely that some AZ in Thailand was made in Thailand - as Oxford Uni stipulated that its patent must remain free until the pandemic is under control, but no one can give me a definitive answer on how much is made here, including senior doctors in Thailand that I know well.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59418123

Millions of doses monthly are made here in Thailand by AZ through their contract and manufacturing plant with Siam Bioscience. Around 6 million stay in Thailand monthly and distributed here while millions others are shipped to other Asian countries

Edited by Bkk Brian

7 hours ago, Don Chance said:

No idea why anyone would take the AZ instead of Pfizers. I guess the OP had no other choice.  As i understand it Pfizer has administer billions of vaccine shots and very few serious side effects other than heart inflation which is easily treatable.

My mom took Pfizer and it's quite a story. If I say more I'll be labeled anti vaxer.

I received my first moderna 10 days ago and my arm still hurts.

• Thanks 1

As others have said, it does sound most like Bell's Palsy, though you should certainly see a doctor to confirm.

An increased incidence of Bell's Palsy has been documented for the mRNA vaccines (though still rare i.e. well under 1%).

It has not been linked to the AZ vaccine. But it can occur from no apparent cause and, annually, does so in 15-30 out of 100,000 people.

The good news is that, if it is Bell's Palsy, it usually resolves spontaneously with time. This can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months.

There is no specific treatment for Bell's Palsy other than to wait it out  - but do see a doctor to rule out more serious condition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

As others have said, it does sound most like Bell's Palsy, though you should certainly see a doctor to confirm.

An increased incidence of Bell's Palsy has been documented for the mRNA vaccines (though still rare i.e. well under 1%).

It has not been linked to the AZ vaccine. But it can occur from no apparent cause and, annually, does so in 15-30 out of 100,000 people.

The good news is that, if it is Bell's Palsy, it usually resolves spontaneously with time. This can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months.

There is no specific treatment for Bell's Palsy other than to wait it out  - but do see a doctor to rule out more serious condition.

So I was told in early 2000 after my 1st and only flu jab,  usually resolves spontaneously with time ! for me over 21 years and still waiting...

Still have no idea as I had a brain scan in 2018 [brain bleed], on the report was mild stroke sometime in the past.. so was it maybe not Bell's Palsy but a mild stroke ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ignis said:

So I was told in early 2000 after my 1st and only flu jab,  usually resolves spontaneously with time ! for me over 21 years and still waiting...

Still have no idea as I had a brain scan in 2018 [brain bleed], on the report was mild stroke sometime in the past.. so was it maybe not Bell's Palsy but a mild stroke ?

Yes, could have been. Was a scan done at the time you developed this?

In a very small number of people Bell's Palsy does not  resolve.

29 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, could have been. Was a scan done at the time you developed this?

In a very small number of people Bell's Palsy does not  resolve.

Not that I remember, had the vaccine in the evening woke up in the morning with drooping left side  face and slurred speech  went to my Dr, he said not to worry it's Bell's Palsy will go in 2 weeks to 6 months....

2nd part 'does not  resolve', yes could also be as have a very big problem with all vaccines since a kid + many Med's

1 hour ago, ignis said:

Not that I remember, had the vaccine in the evening woke up in the morning with drooping left side  face and slurred speech  went to my Dr, he said not to worry it's Bell's Palsy will go in 2 weeks to 6 months....

2nd part 'does not  resolve', yes could also be as have a very big problem with all vaccines since a kid + many Med's

Stroke is one of the differential diagnoses for Bell's Palsy and as no scan was done at that time we cannot be sure which it was. But since subsequent scan years later indicates an old stroke, possibly this was it and the Bell's Palsy a misdiagnoses. No way to be sure now.