Phuket Immigration as of December 2021

20 hours ago, Captain Jack said:

As of December 15 2021 they are giving 57 days! So you need to be able to wait almost 2 months before you can return to immigration and get the rest of your "1 year extension".

That shouldn't be a problem, as you can still get a "re-entry" permit based on the under consideration stamp and therefore leave the country if you want/need to. You do need to be back just before that date though as the re-entry is valid till the end of your under consideration date. And you can check the status of your application online.

And thanks for the update, your experience almost matches mine from 8 months ago. Back then a printout of my bank account showing a transaction in the last 7 days was good enough. You sure it should be from the same day nowadays or did they just tell you do get a transaction done quickly, get a new printout, and then return without explicitly mentioning the printouts should be a maximum of 7 days old (as it explicitly stated at the information desk where the volunteers are sitting) ? It has been max 7 days old for years already, only recently they are demanding a transaction visible on the day you make the printout (or maybe before also but i just didnt notice).

21 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

You sure it should be from the same day nowadays or did they just tell you do get a transaction done quickly, get a new printout, and then return without explicitly mentioning the printouts should be a maximum of 7 days old (as it explicitly stated at the information desk where the volunteers are sitting) ? It has been max 7 days old for years already, only recently they are demanding a transaction visible on the day you make the printout (or maybe before also but i just didnt notice).

100% sure. They sent several people away for the same reason. The one I brought was only 5 days old. The volunteers information sheet (and their website) is out of date on this one. The volunteer told us "this is new". Without your passbook updated to the day of the application you will be turned away. You're right, it has always been 7 days, maybe it'll change back at some point.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Captain Jack said:

100% sure. They sent several people away for the same reason. The one I brought was only 5 days old. The volunteers information sheet (and their website) is out of date on this one. The volunteer told us "this is new". Without your passbook updated to the day of the application you will be turned away. You're right, it has always been 7 days, maybe it'll change back at some point.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I stopped going super early there and now arrive around 10 these days. That normally gives enough time to go back home, eat lunch, and come back around 1. Getting bank stuff the same day isn't that much of a problem in that case.

It is such an annoying rule though. Makes no sense, adds nothing, and makes the process more difficult again. You need to hold the money in your account for 57 days anyways, till you get approved, so it makes no difference at all.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Weeeell, I wouldn't be so sure. The info on that page hasn't been updated in 8 months. Their marriage visa page is stated to be up-to-date to this month and still not 100% accurate. I'd always recommend paying them a visit in person first to make sure.

Omicron means (to me) Covid Extn.Visa will continue indefinitely. 
No way it will stop next month…... After my Longstay Visa expired, decided to get Covid Extn. until leaving country for work (Jan maybe).

2nd CE expires 12 Jan. Process Dead Easy with Phuket Imm. Very Helpful.

I find going late morning or late aft. best for short queue times for initial application. Max one hour seated wait with IPad reading ……

”Under Consideration” stamp upgraded to CE after 7 days.

Agent used always for LV here. Won’t tolerate Immy nonsense . 

On 12/17/2021 at 2:02 PM, PhuketDok said:

Great update on Phuket procedures.  Does anyone know if they are still grandfathering Visa OA holder's insurance requirements for extension of stays? 

There is no grandfathering of Visa OA holder's insurance requirement for extension of stay at Phuket Immigration.  They implemented the law correctly.  I renewed my extension without the need of insurance.  Kudos to Phuket Immigration.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

After waiting the prescribed 59 days and returning to Phuket immigration on the day they instructed I was told that my visa is still not ready. I couldn't get any further information from the teenage girl speaking to me due to her apparent inability to speak either English or Thai (it's strange how many Thai people can't speak their own language, I wonder if it has anything to do with the colour of my skin? TIT).

Plugging the number next to the stamp in my passport into the website confirmed my application is still "under processing" (sic) with no further information there either.

So I'm now technically in the kingdom illegally and can do nothing but wait for a website that may or may not eventually get updated.

Phuket Immigration has a shiny new website complete with a direct like to the national online queue appointments system which (of course) in reality is still being completely ignored at the office.

Of note the damn "emergency" COVID extensions (which were vehemently publicized as ending on January 25th) are now being offered until MARCH 25th so the office is STILL full of mostly Russians mostly shouting and often half naked, queueing out the door for their infinite cheat to stay in Thailand for ever. Again I had to spend half an hour in a queue at the long-term visa section with no one in front of me being there for a long-term visa.

On a Type-OA Visa, I applied for an extension of my permission to stay based on marriage a week ago at Phuket Immigration.  They accepted the paperwork and gave me a permission to stay for 30 more days from that date (ie about 3 weeks from now).

Hopefully they will have approval (from Hua Hin (?)) and be able to stamp my passport with a permission to stay (based on marriage) for the remaining 11-months (giving a total of a 1-year permission to stay) when I show up at the immigration office in three weeks from now. 

I plan to have my Thai wife accompany me, so my hope is that there will be no language issues in communicating (such as Captain Jack reported) if for some reason they are not ready to stamp my passport.

25 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Hopefully they will have approval (from Hua Hin (?)) and be able to stamp my passport with a permission to stay (based on marriage) for the remaining 11-months (giving a total of a 1-year permission to stay) when I show up at the immigration office in three weeks from now. 

The approval will done by Immigration Division 6 headquarters located in Hat Yai that is responsible for the Southern region of the country.

If your passport was valid for 12 months on the day your current permit to stay ends it will be for a year. If not it will be done to the day your passport expires.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 3:41 PM, Captain Jack said:

After waiting the prescribed 59 days and returning to Phuket immigration on the day they instructed I was told that my visa is still not ready.

Plugging the number next to the stamp in my passport into the website confirmed my application is still "under processing" (sic) with no further information there either.

So I'm now technically in the kingdom illegally and can do nothing but wait for a website that may or may not eventually get updated.

Hi Captain Jack.

I am very curious - did this work out ok, and the "under processing" end, and you were able to have the extension decision made (hopefully approved) without having any 'overstay' issues?

On 2/10/2022 at 3:41 PM, Captain Jack said:

After waiting the prescribed 59 days and returning to Phuket immigration on the day they instructed I was told that my visa is still not ready. I couldn't get any further information from the teenage girl speaking to me due to her apparent inability to speak either English or Thai  ....

Something partly similar happened to me, although only for a few days.  

After applying for a 1-year extension on my permission to stay in Thailand (based on marriage) at Phuket immigration, I was given a 1-month permission to stay extension (based on marriage), while waiting for my extension application to be approved. 

I was constantly checking the Phuket immigration web site for the approval status and I was also obtaining "under processing".  That web site states that if it is still saying "under processing"  on the day one's 1-month 'permission to stay' extension expires, then one is to go to Immigration on that day.

So on the day my permission to stay 'expired' I went to Phuket immigration, and they told me the approval for my extension application still had not been received by Phuket immigration. 

Given my permission to stay was 'expiring' on that same date, I asked for another short extension, but I was denied. The immigration official told me to just stay in Thailand and assured me I would not be on an overstay and that I was to keep checking the web site - and come back to Phuket immigration in a week if no change to the 'under processing'.  Fortunately the official spoke English, as my Thai wife is home self isolating with COVID symptoms (although ATK tests are negative) and she could not come with me as a translator. My wife and I have been separating for the past week because of her symptoms.

A few days later, the website finally changed to 'approved' for my extension application, and I went to Phuket immigration and had my passport stamped for my permission to stay for another 11-months after the earlier 1-month extension.  The 'issue date' of the next 11-months extension (of my permission to stay) was back dated to the day when my 1-month permission to stay expired.

Anyway - I am happy about getting this extension.  Phuket immigration was incredibly busy each time I visited (typically early in the morning to avoid crowds) and I could not see even one Phuket official lounging around or taking coffee breaks.   In addition to being incredibly busy, the immigration staff were also very polite to me. 

My visa is a Type-OA, and this extension cost was only 1900 baht (immigration fee) + 600 baht (bank fees).  Had I been required to obtain health insurance (my superior European health insurance is not on the Thai list) it would have cost me another additional 7,700 Thai baht this year (for mostly useless health insurance) and next year cost for similar useless Health Insurance will be at least 3x that amount.   ...

So for me, the extra 'hassle' to go for an extension based on marriage to a Thai woman was worth the hassle.

2 hours ago, oldcpu said:

After applying for a 1-year extension on my permission to stay in Thailand (based on marriage) at Phuket immigration, I was given a 1-month permission to stay extension (based on marriage), while waiting for my extension application to be approved. 

You did not get a extension. You got a under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 day later. The stamp allows you stay in the country until your extension application is approved.

On 3/9/2022 at 3:01 PM, ubonjoe said:

You did not get a extension. You got a under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 day later. The stamp allows you stay in the country until your extension application is approved.

Thanks for that clarification.   Indeed what the stamp says (consistent with your correction):

"Application of stay is under consideration of the immigration bureau. Applicant must contact this office again in person on 4-Mar-2022" where that was signed by the IO on 4-Feb-2022. .... My previous "retirement" extension was due to expire on 23-Feb-2022 ...  and there are words in Thai handwritten by the IO in my passport (on 4-Feb) that say something to the effect that my 'retirement' extension is to be replaced by a 'marriage extension' if approved after the consideration period.  ... That is not an exact translation (only vaguely what I recall my Thai wife translating/telling me).

The marriage extension is all very different in the detail, from a 'retirement extension' in some aspects of the implementation.   

But I am happy to get this extension based on marriage, as it means I do not have to:

(1) leave the country to invalidate the type-OA and come back in tourist-exempt, followed by Type-O, followed by another extension application, which would cost a fair amount of money),

nor do I have to when on a marriage extension :

(2) purchase double Health Insurance (as I don't wish to stop my current far superior subsidized health insurance from Europe - which in addition to being superior for me, also fully covers my Thai wife).

This 'marriage extension' means this year I save 7,700 Thai baht (for not buying double health insurance from LMG that has a massive deductible) and likely if I do the same next year (ie marriage extension) I will save 26,800 Thai baht for not buying larger health insurance from LMG with an even larger deductible (assuming no change in Health Insurance costs).

One can buy a lot of meals for 7,700 Thai baht, not to mention many meals for 26,800 Thai baht.

I may leave Thailand for just over a month in August/September, and I need to decide whether to get a re-entry permit to invalidate the marriage extension/Type-OA visa, (and return on the Type-O route noted above), ... or stick with the Type-OA and continue to do marriage extensions.   .... I am not sure as to the best route, but having done the 'marriage extension' once, I believe it may be easier for me the second time (next year).