Bank apps not working on older Android phones and tablets

DannyS1951

It seems on some models which only allow Android to update to the manufacturers own version some of the latest mobile banking apps do not work. If you go to the Google play store and do not see SCBEasy or Bangkok Bank's mBanking apps this could be that your device is not compatible. Attempts to download directly from the bank's website will also not work. With SCB the customer service phone reps don't know this so a warning here my save some hair pulling.

I tried and failed with a 5 year old Oppo phone and a Lenovo tablet of a similar age. I updated both to latest manufacturers operating system. I do not know of any work around for this. I had signed in with Deemoney money transfer service which needs a bank's mobile app running on your phone. I ended up using Skrill.com online service which doesn't need a mobile phone banking app.

• Confused 1

Security is the main reason, check the requirements before attempting to download.

This from Bangkok Bank;

For security, Bangkok Bank Mobile Banking can be used with a mobile phone or tablet with supported operating system only iOS version 11.0 and above or Android version 7.0 and above. Also, the device must have never been jail-broken (iOS) or rooted (Android).

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/Bualuang-mBanking#:~:text=For security%2C Bangkok Bank Mobile,Android version 7.0 and above.

Edited by bbko
  • Like 1

Sounds more like a geo-block issue as most apps. incl. SCB and BBL's mobile apps, run on Android 6 or higher.

You can find the apps in the Playstore? But then what happens?

Both SCB and BBL offer web-based banking options.

Assume you're registered for on-line banking.

21 minutes ago, DannyS1951 said:

I tried and failed with a 5 year old Oppo phone and a Lenovo tablet of a similar age.

Tried what? And failed how?

What Android revs are these devices on currently?

These apps may not run on a rooted device.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bbl.mobilebanking

Offered By Bangkok Bank PCL

Requires Android 6.0 and up

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scb.phone

Offered By Siam Commercial Bank PCL.

Requires Android 6.0 and up

14 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Sounds more like a geo-block issue as most apps. incl. SCB and BBL's mobile apps, run on Android 6 or higher.

That is what Play Store download says but Bangkok Bank web site says version 7 or above and indicates it is a new version.  

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That is what Play Store download says but Bangkok Bank web site says version 7 or above and indicates it is a new version.  

I am running Android 6 and BBK app works so far...l'll try and update to latest....hold on....running version 3.13...no update listed in GPlay

• Confused 2

I have no problem with either of Siam Commercial Bank's  or Bangkok Bank's internet banking. It seems the only easy way to run their mobile phone apps would be to buy a new phone. With the phone and tablet I only easily have the manufacturer's Android upgrade path. The Oppo phone has version 5.1.1 and the Lenovo tablet has android 4.4.2. I only wanted a mobile banking app because Deemoney needs you have one. Rather than buy a new phone I will use another transfer service. Skrill.com seems to do job just fine without needing a mobile banking app installed.  (While writing this and looking for the Lenovo android number I see I may not have got through the OS upgrade last time. It seems it needs memory space cleared to download a new version although which version I'm not sure. It was my late mother's tablet which she could listen to British radio on. I'm not sure I will bother upgrading it as I don't really need a mobile banking app right now as I used a different money transfer service.)

On 12/22/2021 at 8:45 AM, tonray said:

I am running Android 6 and BBK app works so far...l'll try and update to latest....hold on....running version 3.13...no update listed in GPlay

Updates that you're not eligible will not be shown on the play store.

If the newest version requires a later version of Android then you'll be stuck with the current version installed on your phone, and then presumably at some point it will be taken out of service.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JayClay said:

If the newest version requires a later version of Android then you'll be stuck with the current version installed on your phone, and then presumably at some point it will be taken out of service.

Yeah...new phone on the way anyway...I just bought a car and my old phone struggles interfacing with the Android Auto system for Google maps...so that is quite important

37 minutes ago, JayClay said:

This applies to both the minimum Android OS requirement, and potential geographic limitations.

Some thai apps are geo-restricted to Google accounts created in Thailand. For example the Sec38 (TM30) mobile app.

AFAICT neither the SCB nor the BBL mobile apps are geo-restricted.

Edited by mtls2005

On 12/26/2021 at 8:54 AM, JayClay said:

That's the problem JayClay. If the boys and girls at SCB's customer help could have told me that, or the play store showed the app but said your device is not compatible it would have saved me wasting a day.