Thailand's Hanging Wires: Motorcyclist injured just after posters complained

webfact

10pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported on yet another case of a motorcyclist being badly injured after getting caught up in Thailand now infamous hanging wires.

This time in Soi Udomdech in Muang district of Samut Prakan the wires had yanked the handlebars throwing a rider to the tarmac. 

Reporters went to investigate after a clip hit the internet and garnered much comment.

10pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

They spoke to Janphen, 29, who had already complained and been fobbed off by one authority who said they were not responsible for this particular wire.

So she took it into her own hands and got her son to put a piece of red cloth on the wire while other locals put out a flashing light.

However this appeared to go out and led to the accident with the motorcyclist.

The residents are now furious and want someone - anyone - to come forward and take responsibility once and for all. 

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-12-23

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Sad 2

They aren't a problem around our village . If they hanging low so one can touch them they get Cut by the locals ,It always seem to be Unused lines from the Internet  providers and such. I had to cut one in front of our driveway it was about 2 Meters of the ground  , rolled it up to the next post.

couple days later it was gone .????

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The residents are now furious and want someone - anyone - to come forward and take responsibility once and for all. 

I have been living in Thailand for around 26 years and only once have I seen a Thai take responsibility for anything - when the owner of a dog who ran out of a house and bit me took me to a clinic and footed the bill.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dont confuse me said:

You would think some enterprising soul would start removing, stripping and selling at scrap merchants?

On second thoughts it would probably lead to dozens of fried Thai's on the roadside,  and no doubt a few blackouts! 

Stripped copper wires are worth something. Stripped aluminium, not so much, and stripped fibre optics , zilch.

The fibre optic cables have a piano wire load bearer, worthless as scrap, and glass/plastic signal carriers which are useless and not recycleable, so far as I know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Just pull the thing down and out of the way... 

Exactly. The video shows it's a fiber optic cable with the steel tension line.

If I were the vigilante type I'd get a big pair of insulated-handle bolt cutters, a pair of thick rubber gloves, 'go to town' and just 'cut loose'.

Such cables can be spliced but it takes some technical acumen and the right tools. So that won't happen. They'll have to run a whole new cable.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Grusa said:

Stripped copper wires are worth something. Stripped aluminium, not so much, and stripped fibre optics , zilch.

The fibre optic cables have a piano wire load bearer, worthless as scrap, and glass/plastic signal carriers which are useless and not recycleable, so far as I know.

Thank you so much for the information, my day is now complete ❤ 

• Confused 1