All schools in Kalasin municipality closed until December 30th over Omicron concerns

webfact

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAivXZh9w4kPPCjVebRRtSkIeD2ZPiIO9ieU5dh9L.jpg

The communicable disease committee in Thailand’s north-eastern province of Kalasin has ordered all schools and educational institutes located in the municipality to close until December 30th, after it was discovered that some students had eaten at Rongsee market.

Rongsee market was closed for 14 days last week when a married couple, returning from Belgium and who later tested positive for the COVID-19 Omicron variant, had dinner with relatives at a restaurant in the market.

Over 100 people, who were at the restaurant at the time, including some musicians and staff, were later found to be infected with COVID-19, including 22 confirmed Omicron cases.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/all-schools-in-kalasin-municipality-closed-until-december-30th-over-omicron-concerns/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unlike some of the other provinces that opened up schools this past July and then as the months went on were closed because of Delta, the schools around us here in Bangkok have never re-opened except for the upper grades where the kids were given vaccinations and 80% of the staff also vaccinated.  Yet as soon as a case was located in the schools the doors shut and they then went back to on-line teaching.  I do understand the concerns, yet if they would ensure the population everywhere and not just in the tourist areas was vaccinated with both jabs and so on then we would not need such strict measures.  Put some regulations in place, and lets learn to live with Covid, like we have lived with other viruses and illnesses for years.  By being proactive, safe and responsible we can protect ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Petey11 said:

So, when they done what is effectively random test they found 100+ cases at restaurant. Only 22 Omicron supposedly from the Belgian couple. The other 78 odd delta? Came from where. Couldn't have been the Belgian tourists.

The find just shows how much this spreads and gives an idea of how much Covid is actually out there.

Massive testing no longer makes sense as we will all get infected at some point.

As things look now in e.g. Europe, Thailand actually were smart not to test more than they did during this pandemic. Saved them a hell of a lot of money.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, khunpa said:

The find just shows how much this spreads and gives an idea of how much Covid is actually out there.

Massive testing no longer makes sense as we will all get infected at some point.

As things look now in e.g. Europe, Thailand actually were smart not to test more than they did during this pandemic. Saved them a hell of a lot of money.

Which they wasted on the early vaccines, but then thats just my opinion.

• Like 1

more than 100 cases including 22 Omicron ... 22 contamination for a meal in a restaurant.

78 people in restaurants with COVID what is the incidence in Thailand?

it is really huge.

Note : How to compare regions of Thailand in being brought down to the population. never any communication on the incidence rate!

10 minutes ago, vVDB said:

more than 100 cases including 22 Omicron ... 22 contamination for a meal in a restaurant.

78 people in restaurants with COVID what is the incidence in Thailand?

it is really huge.

Note : How to compare regions of Thailand in being brought down to the population. never any communication on the incidence rate!

This poster does a daily spreadsheet on daily cases per province per 100,000 population

https://aseannow.com/topic/1221220-information-about-new-covid-19-cases-per-province/page/9/

3 hours ago, Petey11 said:

So, when they done what is effectively random test they found 100+ cases at restaurant. Only 22 Omicron supposedly from the Belgian couple. The other 78 odd delta? Came from where. Couldn't have been the Belgian tourists.

The only reason they tested, and found that infection was rife,  was because the people who had arrived from Belgium took a second test about a week after they arrived, found themselves infected,  and notified the "authorities".

That's what people coming into the country are supposed to do.

I was clear at my second test as well as the first, they were not..........because they mixed with many more people after their arrival than I did and caught it from them.

But because they did what the book says they get enthusiastically scapegoated........that's why so many Thais don't do what the book says.

"Clusters" are BS..........infection is widespread.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Petey11 said:

Ah well the jury is out  on that one

18 hours ago, Enoon said:

because they did what the book says they get enthusiastically scapegoated........that's why so many Thais don't do what the book says.

Agree with that, all about stigma attached and saving face/money when it comes to following the reporting rules.

On 12/27/2021 at 8:56 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

My Issan high school is still in session, yet canceled Christmas activities in response to the rising cases. Students aren't happy about it. They had been practicing for performance competitions. They might just film and post them on YouTube now, hah.

Oh, Christmas in Thailand. Everyone asks me about it. At school it's a big deal, gives an excuse for activities in lieu of study. At the stores it's a big deal, gives an excuse to put up decorations to drive sales. But where I live it's nothing, just an other day, as the fam's still busy out in the fields harvesting.

As a teacher I am jealous of reading schools were even open until now.

All schools in my home province of Narathiwat have been closed since March and we have been told they will not reopen anymore until, at the earliest, in May 22.

Some of them will NEVER reopen anymore and have been completely demolished already.

Thank God I work at a Saudi-funded religious school. All of the teachers' salaries have been paid ever since the closures, thanks to our foundation.

• Thanks 1